• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Dame Dash considers Rick Rubin a culture vulture.

giphy.gif

Courage

Muddy everyone loves both of those. If anything you should have left GAFHOP when they collectively took a shit on our weeaboo mech fantasy film.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That new SoundCloud mobile update doe ~~~~
Courage your my new fave since kams/siddx don't post in here anymore.

Wait, is there a new update? I'm not seeing it yet. I was deeply disappointed by all of the missing features when they overhauled the app a couple months ago, been waiting and hoping for some of that shit to get restored. They really fucked up with that one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Impressions:

Jeezy - Seen It All
Disappointing; seems like he put a lot of effort into everything but it just doesn't stick. I mean a lot of these songs aren't bad, you may even call them good for album cuts, but they're also either forgettable or very familiar in song concept. I think it would be less of a problem if the singles/standouts weren't so few and generally not as good as or diverse as anything off of TM103. And like Domino mentioned a while back, a general lack of faster songs that get you pumped up (which certainly would fit with the theme of the album too).

Very hesitant to call the album bad, I can understand how someone might like this (outside of some outright bad shit like 4 Zones and anytime Jeezy tries to sing) but yeah it's.. not satisfying. Almost reminds me of some MMG projects with the production being so homogenous and some of these songs feeling like they could have replaced each other very easily in the process of cutting the album down to a reasonable length. The singles were very well chosen though, they're pretty much the only better than average songs on the album.

tl;dr:
roosevelt.gif

Flying Lotus ft. Kendrick Lamar - Never Catch Me
I mean, Esch already summed it up better than anyone else, but hey what the hell. Completely inorganic, Kendrick's verse has absolutely nothing notable in it, and is mostly tutti frutti rap. If this was spit by a different rapper with better delivery, and wasn't being completely drowned by the production, it'd get shit on. Inspirational lyrics contrasted against the very definition of overproduction. Anything that could be left alone and probably left alone is switched up, to varying degrees of failure. Some times you get a whif of it sounding like some cool 90s racing game BGM or something but just as it gets going and something good it starts to chop up, very reminiscent of Em all over MMLP2.

tl;dr:
inQO8tmGXKWSn.GIF

Courage

Jeezy - Seen It All
Disappointing; seems like he put a lot of effort into everything but it just doesn't stick. I mean a lot of these songs aren't bad, you may even call them good for album cuts, but they're also either forgettable or very familiar in song concept. I think it would be less of a problem if the singles/standouts weren't so few and generally not as good as or diverse as anything off of TM103. And like Domino mentioned a while back, a general lack of faster songs that get you pumped up (which certainly would fit with the theme of the album too).

Very hesitant to call the album bad, I can understand how someone might like this (outside of some outright bad shit like 4 Zones and anytime Jeezy tries to sing) but yeah it's.. not satisfying. Almost reminds me of some MMG projects with the production being so homogenous and some of these songs feeling like they could have replaced each other very easily in the process of cutting the album down to a reasonable length.
I agree with all of this. I also felt the production was all over the place, which also made the album feel less remarkable.

Also fuck you Jeezy with the chill/laid back joints. Your voice is too abrasive and rough for that shit. Give me banger after banger.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I agree with all of this. I also felt the production was all over the place, which also made the album feel less remarkable.

Also fuck you Jeezy with the chill/laid back joints. Your voice is too abrasive and rough for that shit. Give me banger after banger.
Yeah the project definitely doesn't play to Jeezy's strengths. Couldn't even get through one listen of the album without having to throw on Get Crunk Muzik to break up the monotony.

I understand he wants to be a bit more grown up with this project, but I listen to him for that abrasiveness that's conveyed through his voice alone. You can spit game to the kids on those songs too, and hell, they'll probably be more receptive to it. Also, pretty much none of the slower songs on here are as good as the slower songs on TM103 either, like F.A.M.E., I DO, Everythang, etc., the only good feature is Jay, etc.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That FlyLoxKDot shit was dope now that I've gotten a chance to listen to it without the drops. It's definitely painting an interesting picture of FL's state of mind and the adventure into progressive jazz fusion. It'll be nice to see how it all belongs to the bigger picture and the album as a whole.

Esch

Banned
I just think it's funny af that Jeezy named his album after a MCHG track that Jay (stupidly) decided to throw away
jbcC6E6NtOglYq.png

Yeah the project definitely doesn't play to Jeezy's strengths. Couldn't even get through one listen of the album without having to throw on Get Crunk Muzik to break up the monotony.

I understand he wants to be a bit more grown up with this project, but I listen to him for that abrasiveness that's conveyed through his voice alone. You can spit game to the kids on those songs too, and hell, they'll probably be more receptive to it. Also, pretty much none of the slower songs on here are as good as the slower songs on TM103 either, like F.A.M.E., I DO, Everythang, etc., the only good feature is Jay, etc.

It seems like with rappers like 50 and Jeezy, it's harder to make that transition to maturing their sound as they get older.

There are a few factors involved, I think. Lack of lyricism/introspection is probably top of my list on it. Idk what do you guys think?

Courage

It seems like with rappers like 50 and Jeezy, it's harder to make that transition to maturing their sound as they get older.

There are a few factors involved, I think. Lack of lyricism/introspection is probably top of my list on it. Idk what do you guys think?

Pretty much what you said, along with a lack of vision/ambition.

But some artists don't even have to mature. Jeezy and Rick Ross will be fine if they keep doing what they're good at doing. It's just how they were built. No real room for progression unless they do something very left field and it happens to work.

50 tries to emulate his old shit but it all sounds corny now, since that sound is so outdated.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I think it's because they gave us a certain feel, and when that changes or starts being forced, you take notice, and that affects your experience.

I think Jay has been generally good about it, and succeeded in places 50 failed, notably with respect to how he chooses and delivers content. It's totally okay for these older rappers to talk about old experiences and maybe even reflect on them, but Jay delivers it like that shit was written in scripture, whereas 50 is sort of sounding like he's trying to sell you what he sold you a while ago once more. I guess you could call it storytelling ability.

Wait, is there a new update? I'm not seeing it yet. I was deeply disappointed by all of the missing features when they overhauled the app a couple months ago, been waiting and hoping for some of that shit to get restored. They really fucked up with that one.
It's really just the now playing screen. Everything else is the same as its been.

Esch

Banned
....I don't know if I should say this but I left /mu/ for here.
I'd recognize that smell anywhere
troll.png

50 and Jeezy basically made hooks and bangers breh. Jay did too, but he had more morsels in his writing style that set him apart; the double entendres, the humor, the different flows and styles can use, he's more versatile than those guys so that's why he's the only surviving drug rapper. Plus the beats picked ain't right. Jeezy picks good beats, but they don't really strike me as some grown man shit, they're in that elevated trap area. 50 Cent? lol...

deli2000

Listening to Never Catch Me in CDQ without the LA Leakers nonsense has let me appreciate it more. I still think Kendrick's over the top rapping doesn't fit the track at all, but the last minute and a half or so is fantastic. Reminds me a bit of 'MmmHmm'.

Esch

Banned
Fuck flylo, fuck this progressive jazz wank

Word is bond fam. I like that Pickles knows what he's talking about and is getting behind it but isn't going to the 'it's jazz and if you like jazz you'll like it' route. FOH. But that's the interesting thing about jazz. Since it often defies so many western musical conventions it's hard to evaluate on any level other than personal. I like jazz plenty. I'm a big Charlie Parker and Sun-Ra fan, and I used to be a MO state recognized Superior jazz guitarist in high school. I just have overtime fallen out of favor with a lot of clickity clackity clack jazz messterpieces that aren't even interestingly chaotic, just overlayered and disorganized.

But hey, everyone does their thing.

I just think it's funny af that Jeezy named his album after a MCHG track that Jay (stupidly) decided to throw away
jbcC6E6NtOglYq.png

peep the semi religious/semi Illuminati trolling imagery, and Jeezy's attempt to be more CEO-ish music wise lately. Dude is jacking hard. Gibbs said it perfect, Jeezy is too dumb to be Jay.

is it true homeboy couldn't bail himself out of jail a few weeks ago lmao, or was that Coli fuckerey.

deli2000

That reminds me, i've been meaning to get into some jazz lately. I've only been skirting round the well known stuff (Miles, Coltrane, etc).

Esch

Banned
Esch, ever listened to Colin Stetson's work?

Nope, any good?

peep the semi religious/semi Illuminati trolling imagery, and Jeezy's attempt to be more CEO-ish music wise lately. Dude is jacking hard. Gibbs said it perfect, Jeezy is too dumb to be Jay.

is it true homeboy couldn't bail himself out of jail a few weeks ago lmao, or was that Coli fuckerey.

Thank god i'm not the only one who noticed this too. The funny thing is it just doesn't really work for Jeezy. You ain't part of the illuminati or any shit like that breh. You're a tier 2 rapper from atlanta who used to be hot. Nobody's buying into that shit or image, even as a joke.

Ahhh a rap haven in neogaf? I can get jiggy with that. I used to be heavy into rap and even wrote for a couple sites but I can't get into it like I used to because everything just sounds so similar.
Im 21

Lately I've been listening to a lot of southern shit (migos, young thug, gucci) mostly because that's where I feel all the creativity is,

Word is bond fam. I like that Pickles knows what he's talking about and is getting behind it but isn't going to the 'it's jazz and if you like jazz you'll like it' route. FOH. But that's the interesting thing about jazz. Since it often defies so many western musical conventions it's hard to evaluate on any level other than personal. I like jazz plenty. I'm a big Charlie Parker and Sun-Ra fan, and I used to be a MO state recognized Superior jazz guitarist in high school. I just have overtime fallen out of favor with a lot of clickity clackity clack jazz messterpieces that aren't even interestingly chaotic, just overlayered and disorganized.

But hey, everyone does their thing.
Yeah,I ain't want to comment on dudes in here acting like the FlyLo track is good because they like jazz

I would've totally listened to a 45 minute version of On Sight. But only that song just for the beat switch up.

Speaking of beats, lyrics notwithstanding, you guys telling me you really didn't like that Jeezy song?

Also in case Des hasn't posted it yet:
Johnny Polygon - The Fall

Ahhh a rap haven in neogaf? I can get jiggy with that. I used to be heavy into rap and even wrote for a couple sites but I can't get into it like I used to because everything just sounds so similar.
Im 21

Lately I've been listening to a lot of southern shit (migos, young thug, gucci) mostly because that's where I feel all the creativity is,

Is that Peewee long way mugshot? Lol

HiResDes

Nope, any good?

Thank god i'm not the only one who noticed this too. The funny thing is it just doesn't really work for Jeezy. You ain't part of the illuminati or any shit like that breh. You're a tier 2 rapper from atlanta who used to be hot. Nobody's buying into that shit or image, even as a joke.
New history one and two are monumental records of contemporary doom jazz

Nope, any good?

I'm fine with someone doing it for one song (see: Devil Is a Lie) even if I find it corny...but the entire album is using that imagery apparently. I get that Jay is the blueprint and there isn't anything wrong with following it...but when you're jacking shit that is Hov's specific "niche" then you lost. Being a CEO, making broad financial boasts, belittling the competition...all that stuff is fine. But if rap was wrestling, Illuminati trolling would be Jay's gimmick. Jeezy out chea trying to use caskets as if the Undertaker doesn't exist.

overcast

When touring is included, that's usually what people call a 360 deal, as in they get a cut out of every revenue angle your name is attached to.

Labels generally get the most money from album sales, which is why the 360 deal was invented with the advent of declining record sales.
So this is why 360 deals always fuck the artists over so much; they're missing the true money maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom