• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

Like this song with 'Captain Murphy' and Snoop, really getting some laughs out of me.

DULYYGu.png

One of my favorite tracks from the album.

overcast

Damn my hype is definitely more manageable now. I needed a more seasoned electronic fan to really chime in on it...I mean last year brehs hyped up RAM like that shit was actually good, not everyone can be trusted.
Esch is one person though.

How is Never Catch Me Garbage? Song is fantastic, and the lead into it is perfect.

Esch

Banned
Damn my hype is definitely more manageable now. I needed a more seasoned electronic fan to really chime in on it...I mean last year brehs hyped up RAM like that shit was actually good, not everyone can be trusted.

Some of the jammy bits like Hot Dog Coma come together nice, like an Al Di Meola collab jam on fast forward. But like the source material, it retains a heavy level of straight cheese. Some of the tracks, even the good ones, start out with a chill ambient vibe and then crash right into freejamfap about 50-66% of the way through. There are times when there are sections that I think could have been drawn out a little longer to hit the spot, but hey. Theres some bad, some good. It's an interesting album if nothing. I don't have any non-tecnhical way to evaluate this music besides "I like it" or "I don't", though. It's hard to perceive artistic intent on something relatively chaotic and like this. It doesn't have a guiding morality or worldview etc etc so I'll just leave it at a tempered, tepid thumbs up. I will say this for YOU'RE DEAD!, it feels significantly more human and less mechanic than a lot of his previous work. I'm just not sure if it's better or not.

JohnDoe

Banned

Yup. Some shit on here (especially tracks 1-4 and Moment Of Hesitation) sounds like Flying Lotus doing his own rendition of Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi and Sextant but not nearly as good. The snoop track has no direction whatsoever and only picks up a bit towards the end, when Snoop raps his verse. The majority of tracks I listened to I was like "so what was the point of this?".

I listen to more experimental and unconventionall music too. I love me some off the wall Ambient or Jazz Fusion every once in a while. The difference is that with the shit I listen to, even with UTCQ, I am able to see a motive, intricateness and beauty behind it. Here, I find it much harder.

Rating:
H37xX.png
/5

Courage

I think the fact that it's more humane makes it easier to interpret the motive/ideas behind it. It's more straightforward as it's relatively less abstract and more thematic compared to something like Cosmogramma (also flows better).

decided to give Water a listen since i was looking back on what i missed. and someone recommended it. its really good.

Yea, I went into that tape just randomly cause I had nothing to do at work and really liked it. Probably in my top 10.
The JJ Fish sounding vocals in the beginning of The Boys Who Died In Their Sleep
JgZs64Q.png
lmao, JJ fish gettin paid

Going back on Rocky's album.. I think it was a tiny bit overhated tbh. Most of the tracks were cool except for Fashion Killa and Wild for the night which were the most offensive tracks to hip hop that year.

I'm iffy about that.

Big Sean confirmed in interviews recently that both him and Ye have moved over to Roc Nation management, but Sean is still on Def Jam. And Ye is probably still too on Roc-a-fella/IDJ.. or is he?

Wouldn't be surprised if Roc Nation puts out the next album, but I feel like there would have been a stir over it already.
How does ROC a fella still exist?
it's not that weird. basically GOOD and Def Jam's relationship has deteriorated.
I had no idea this happened.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm greatly enjoying You're Dead. It's telling me something, I don't know what that is quite yet because there is a lot of information to parse, but it's nice to see that the humanity in FlyLo's work is still present. He has been lacking that touch for a minute.

you're dead is pretty good
had absolutely no idea what to expect and no expectations considering the only track i had heard was the kendrick one
gotta listen to that new weezer album right now tho lol

I really don't see him pulling out a Trap Lord whatsoever.

Honestly, if there are just a few worthwhile tracks on there at this point, I'll put it as a win for him. I'm not really expecting him to drop a classic or anything...

And, if I'm really being honest, the reason I liked Trillmatic so much is cause Meth killed it on his verse.

1. Kreation (Intro)
2. Life
3. My Sub, Pt. 3 (Big Bang)
4. Cadillactica
5. Soul Food
6. Pay Attention
7. King of the South
8. Mind Control
9. Standby (Interlude)
10. Do You Love Me
11. Third Eye
12. Mo Better Cool
13. Angels
14. Saturdays = Celebration
15. Lost Generation
16. Mt Olympus (Reprise) [Bonus Track]
17. Lac Lac [Bonus Track]
18. Let it Show [Bonus Track]

Cadillactica coming soon

Booshka

You're Dead is great, getting John McLaughlin, Gentle Giant and of course Mwandishi Herbie vibes. I wish more of the tracks went further and the overall album was longer, but I understand the brevity is probably for the best.

cacophony

wtf does asap mob do all day, like how can you be in that position and never release anything. they must be super tied up to their label. its like they want their buzz to die completely

Esch

Banned
Well Yams has said they don't want to inundate you like pretty much every other rap outfit right now...

Nobody's inundating people with content right now, not even TDE. The most prolific unit in rap right now is probably some trash like Rich Gang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom