• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

ur dead

kCl9G0K.jpg
tumblr_static_profile.gif
tumblr_static_profile.gif

Courage

Dead Man's Tetris is such an eerie song.

Turkey Dog Coma...
PSGxjhT.png
I'm fried.

He branches out a lot on this album. I'm kinda amazed at how coherent it is.

Esch

Banned
Lets be reality, Joey Badass has one decent east coast homage mixtape. He does nothing sonically new, and his rhyme schemes and flow are 100%, shamelessly jacked from members of Boot Camp Clik and Black Moon. It's not even at the point like with Action Bronson where hey, he has some different subject matter than his progenitors and raps over different beats, and has a personality. Joey doesn't really have standout anything. His story isn't compelling, nothing he does is fresh. What's the point of listening to tribute artists?

Courage

Yeah, 1999 was alright. It definitely made me realize he's not gonna progress much. I don't mind artists riding the throwback lane, but he simply doesn't captivate me. I need someone with more mic presence and charisma on those beats, which is why he has the weakest verses on Statik's new album.

Everything after 1999 bored me to death tbh. I don't think he's had one good song since.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, 1999 was alright. It definitely made me realize he's not gonna progress much. I don't mind artists riding the throwback lane, but he simply doesn't captivate me. I need someone with more mic presence and charisma on those beats, which is why he has the weakest verses on Statik's new album.

Everything after 1999 bored me to death tbh. I don't think he's had one good song since.
Unorthodox was pretty awesome.

Cheddahz

Banned
The new Flying Lotus leaked? Well damn, I might just go ahead and listen to it (I need to celebrate anyways, second date with this chick went well and I got to catch up with one of my best friends from high school at a wedding this afternoon, so it's been a pretty good day)

Cheddahz

Banned
I just listened to one song from 1996 and it's already better than any Joey BadAss song (and he's from Charlotte too, so shoutout to that)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Swizz Beatz gets a KTT account. #factsonly

Young Thug finally addresses gay rumours. Bonus ignorance about Ferguson. Dude sounds dumb as hell TBH.

First Impressions - House Slippers

I generally consider Joell Ortiz to be one of the best doing it. He has every characteristic a great MC should have, so it's kind of disappointing to see him fall short or box himself in sonically. As soon as I heard The Heatmakerz were handling the majority of the production, I got worried, and the final project proved my worries right. Not as great of a collaboration as, say, Ortiz is with Frequency.

It's an okay project, just a bit boring. I don't think the beats he chose play to his strengths really, and when he slows his raps down it becomes harder to listen to even if his pen game is on point. A lot of talk about how it's supposed to be a grown up album (that's the theme, of course) but it feels like a lot of the same struggle content, perhaps I just can't relate. Standouts are probably Q & A and Crack Spot. Candy comes out of fucking nowhere on the album too, so jarring.

tl;dr:

superstar_indifference.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Briefly, but not really.

The part about smoking with Mike Dean makes it sound fake. Half of the rest seems to corroborate information that's confirmed, the other half there's no way to know. Stuff like "luxury trap beats" seems to go well with anecdotes that it's the darkness of Yeezus intermingled with soul samples, but could be something else entirely because Kanye has said himself that one song can and has changed the entire makeup of the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom