• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
These dudes haven't even listened to The Blueprint. That shit just baffles me. I can understand someone not going back to Paid In Full - it rustles my jimmies but I can at least understand it. But if you can't go back and listen to The Blueprint, Stankonia,
Food & Liquor
, etc...

Esch

Banned
Esch giving daps to OT over the good people in this thread. Absolutelydisgusting.jpg

I know right? Take a shit on over half of the members of your community brehs.

I'm just saying; in the OT when you read hip hop topics, due to the older average age of people who use the site....They tend to know a lot about hip hop pre 2004, a lot more than some of the posters ITT. Click on any favorite hip hop album thread and you'll see great (and bad) selections from even the early 80s to today. Whereas in this thread there are people who've never listened to an album from LL Cool J or KRS-One, never heard a Mobb Deep album, Big Daddy Kane, Daz, MC eiht, too $hort, 2 Live Crew, MC Lyte, Public Enemy etc. Nothing wrong with that; hey you listen to what you want. But ofc you're not going to get the same dap; you're like a boxing fan that hasn't watched a Sugar Ray Robinson fight or a football fan who doesn't know who Joe Montana is. A certain level of ignorance undercuts everything you say.

On the other hand a lot of the newer posters really have listened to tons of shit; some more than me like codhand, thabiz, the artful dodger, etc. i aint mad.

Anyway i forgot to recommend the new classic album of the week, might as well do that:

Last week was Dead Serious by Das EFX, this week:

LL Cool J - Radio (1985)

61GoP0AHH7L.jpg

This generation is sad as fuck with that shit man. I was raised on Hip-Hop for the most part but I really got into older Hip-Hop back in 07 when I was tired of mainstream hip-hop and I started actively listening to mostly classics. Most of friends don't go back in the past with Hip-Hop I just sit there looking at them stupid.

Courage

I'm just saying; in the OT when you read hip hop topics, due to the older average age of people who use the site....They tend to know a lot about hip hop pre 2004, a lot more than some of the posters ITT. Click on any favorite hip hop album thread and you'll see great (and bad) selections from even the early 80s to today. Whereas in this thread there are people who've never listened to an album from LL Cool J or KRS-One, never heard a Mobb Deep album, Big Daddy Kane, Daz, MC eiht, too $hort, 2 Live Crew, MC Lyte, Public Enemy etc. Nothing wrong with that; hey you listen to what you want. But ofc you're not going to get the same dap; you're like a boxing fan that hasn't watched a Sugar Ray Robinson fight or a football fan who doesn't know who Joe Montana is. A certain level of ignorance undercuts everything you say.

Nah, I agree with you. That's why I usually don't engage in topics of older hip-hop albums or hip-hop history in general and also why I'm trying to listen to the classics I've missed.

There's some insight that can only be gained through experience of listening to the genre throughout the years.

HiiiLife

These dudes haven't even listened to The Blueprint. That shit just baffles me. I can understand someone not going back to Paid In Full - it rustles my jimmies but I can at least understand it. But if you can't go back and listen to The Blueprint, Stankonia,
Food & Liquor
, etc...

This threads on the front page of OT?

Esch

Banned
Nah, I agree with you. That's why I usually don't engage in topics of older hip-hop albums or hip-hop history in general and also why I'm trying to listen to the classics I've missed.

There's some insight that can only be gained through experience of listening to the genre throughout the years.

I've noticed that you're one of the people listening to these albums I post up every week, so you get dap from me for that. It's not hard or unpleasurable to listen to a classic album once a week. Unless you're the type of person that can't listen to any old music at all.

The more you listen the more understanding you'll be able to apply to other albums and lines.

IrishNinja

LL Cool J - Radio (1985)

61GoP0AHH7L.jpg

Radio, Rock the Bells, I need a beat...great album

I prefer Walking with a Panther myself, but I'm bad is one of my all-time favorites too

If you think you can outrhyme me? yeah boy I bet
cause I ain't met a mothafucker who can do that yet
trendsetter, I'm better, my rhymes are good/
I got a gold nameplate that says I wish you would

Esch

Banned
Radio, Rock the Bells, I need a beat...great album

I prefer Walking with a Panther myself, but I'm bad is one of my all-time favorites too

If you think you can outrhyme me? yeah boy I bet
cause I ain't met a mothafucker who can do that yet
trendsetter, I'm better, my rhymes are good/
I got a gold nameplate that says I wish you would

I've never seen anyone say this. Even old heads. Prolly cause of all the lover songs all up on that LP, I'm kinda surprised you're going to bat for that album.

Those first two albums and Mama Said Knock You Out tho.........

codhand

Unless you're the type of person that can't listen to any old music at all.

see my irl friends have the opposite problem, they cant listen to anything new!

i come here to culture vulture all the new hotness

tumblr_inline_n4x4zzC4mz1qkfz56.png

14 shots to the dome, is my fave, best production

IrishNinja

I've never seen anyone say this. Even old heads. Prolly cause of all the lover songs all up on that LP, I'm kinda surprised you're going to bat for that album.

Those first two albums and Mama Said Knock You Out tho.........

i'm admittedly biased cause that was one of the cassettes my brother let me jack, but it had goin back to cali, i'm that type of guy, jinglin baby, big ol' butt & a few other greats. everyone had mama said but i thought that album had less really good tracks - granted, around the way girl is one of my absolute favorites so there's that...farmer's, boomin system, i forget what else but even then i was in the minority liking panther more, yeah

but yeah, you always gotta skip a few love tracks, it's LL

ps goin back to cali is still one of the best whip tests of all time, come at me bros

Cheddahz

Banned
btw happy diwali browngafhop

even though most of yall are muslim
2sz1fSS.png

you know what's sad? the fact that kids are bitching about diwali because the celebration of diwali is a story on snapchat

i don't really give a shit if you don't give a shit about it, don't go around saying that it's pointless

happy diwali by the way browngafhop!

Fjordson

I really liked Dom Kennedy's verse in there.
Yeah he was good, some of 'em aren't bad. Like Suga Free :lol appreciated his mulitple appearances. Haven't heard that dude since I bought his first album back in like middle school.

Vibing to this new Quik's Groove right now. So good.

IrishNinja

you can still take part. it's still okay for me to knock down ginger o'finnigans on st paddy's day, right?

6bZF1Dq.png

true but...man i gotta learn my city better; i swear i learn about those spots only with that connection - chinese new year festival when i was dating an asian, diwali festival with an indian, etc...i didnt even know we had a little guyana out here for years now

was happy to find a place for dia de la muertos this year though

also you stay outdoing yaself on these smileys b

Black milk project is whew

Happy Diwali to the Hindus out there, always a good time to crash some parties and get some dope food, and Holla at dem girls

really tho? did ras kas tone down his annoying preachy lyrical miracle stuff?

It's a Rass Kass album: some preaching, some ignorant shit, some transphobia*, some lyrical miracle exercises. First track scared me - Rass gets drowned in the beat and it sounds like he's outmatched. But after that it gets pretty good outside of a couple duds. Strawberry sounds like the type of beat RZA should be making in 2014.

*not only does Rass have the you-know-what glaze, he always struck me as closeted. Dude had some pretty dew eyed thugs surrounding him during that Game diss video a few years ago, and he seems obsessed with dissing trans women...

overcast

You guys are fucking killing me with these images.

Every time I'm in the library. How you gonna make me look weird in front of these cute, awkward/shy caucasian girls brehs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom