• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiiiLife

Was going to watch both this and Dear White People back to back, but got there late and John Wick wasn't available at the time. Dear White People was good though. Pretty funny.

Dear White People looked funny from the clips I've seen. I did a back to back with Fury and John Wick. Enjoyed the former, surprisingly.

seems like its intentional, whats the problem?

Now this is much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTTrHicr46k

lol, i'm not even one of those "omg hip hop is dead rip 2pac" kind of fans, but this whole "aesthetic" that these two are trying to portray lacks total substance. lyrics are generic, the beat (im a producer/rapper myself so i can hear it) has some nails-on-the-chalkboard-bad bass synths all over the place, and the "rapper" sounds mono-toned as fuck on the track. i can TELL they rely on production to keep them going which isn't a bad thing... but that's all i can see from them. strong imagery // lack of substance.

look, if people enjoy this, more power to them. i can't front on their hustle, but in my opinion this song sounds like garbage and from listening to their other tracks i can tell they're just two kids that live in LA with a bunch of connections. they're taking advantage of that "tumblr" aesthetic with the fucking vhs filters over their videos and the trendy imagery and trap sound. scratching my head at this shit but oh well. more power to these two i guess. at least yung lean does it properly. hell, i might bump into these two in the streets since i live here too. probably the nicest dudes ever, they just need to refine this shit if they expect a bigger audience besides art students/tumblr heads.

lil shark is just a joke. he's doing it for fun and i commend the little guy for that.

not that many people are listening to it. 30,000 views since july lol. but who knows these days, anybody can pop with one hit.

shit sucks tho.

exactly! these dudes just have the right connections after doing some research. they got wiz khalifa, kid cudi, travis scott, and fucking ian connor (which basically means all of asap) co-signing them. ugh.

If he doesn't sell 100k first week it's due to being undershipping. I'm not a fan of dude - he can rap his ass off but I haven't really spent much time on his music - but dude has a huge fanbase. The Cole comparisons are accurate in the sense that I don't think the label realizes how high he can go off his existing fanbase alone.

I think it's a toss up. A ton of his internet-vocal fanbase didn't like his collab with Gambino and used it (as most internet-vocal fanbases do) to claim he's sold out/changed/under label control. On the other hand, he also used his BET Cypher verse to soft-diss mainstream audiences.. which would be right up his fanbase alley. So I'm not really sure whether these actions will be a boon or a detractor.

gonna peep that og maco ep in a min. bitch you guessed it!

tnFu3.png

as creepy as this is, i didnt expect h.protagonist to be a girl. wow gaf surprises you everyday.

I think it's a toss up. A ton of his internet-vocal fanbase didn't like his collab with Gambino and used it (as most internet-vocal fanbases do) to claim he's sold out/changed/under label control. On the other hand, he also used his BET Cypher verse to soft-diss mainstream audiences.. which would be right up his fanbase alley. So I'm not really sure whether these actions will be a boon or a detractor.

Interesting. We'll see.

Regardless the fact that he might outsell TI should tell folks how much radio doesn't matter if you actually have a fanbase. TI has what, two big radio singles? Album probably won't sell 300k in the next two years.

That song was so dope, wow. Can't believe it got hate.

Interesting. We'll see.

Regardless the fact that he might outsell TI should tell folks how much radio doesn't matter if you actually have a fanbase. TI has what, two big radio singles? Album probably won't sell 300k in the next two years.

I'd think that people would know that already. Funk Volume, Snow Tha Product, Strange Music, Rhymesayers, etc.. all prove that in varying degrees. Granted Rhymsayers and Strange are big enough now that they're not exactly accurate portrayals of Indie, per say, building a core fanbase without radio is proven more viable with hip hop than I think most other genre's.

That song was so dope, wow. Can't believe it got hate.

It's too different from his other stuff. Underground fans tend to have kneejerk negative reactions to their favorites changing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That cypher verse was so corny, TBH. I mean I guess he had to seize that opportunity but still, Hopsin vibes.

Also in Logic's interview on Sway in the morning they talked about surviving in hip-hop in 2014. Apparently no album went platinum in the last year. SMH, and people in this thread still thinking 400k+ out the gate should be expected for anyone.

My friend just asked me to find this Push a T song for him, its not on the last album btw

"So the beat was like dun dun dun dun and he would say like something monsta?? And heavy reverb woohoo!!!"

Any ideas?

That cypher verse was so corny, TBH. I mean I guess he had to seize that opportunity but still, Hopsin vibes.

Also in Logic's interview on Sway in the morning they talked about surviving in hip-hop in 2014. Apparently no album went platinum in the last year. SMH, and people in this thread still thinking 400k+ out the gate should be expected for anyone.

I mean the Hopsin vibes, as you put it, have to be the intended effect though right? If the intent was to win back that vocal internet fanbase that is.

And that platinum statistic is referring specifically to 2014 right? Not a 12 month time period?

big ander

Maco EP's pretty great. Kraken and Churches kinda feel like stretched out interludes. really dope interludes though. Let's Get It and Priceless and Sheesh 2 are wild

donuts try to narrow shit down, ask him if it was that pusha track with the coke analogies
Pretty much, shit is tough and no enzo its not monster. I know that every artist is Kanye to you, but I said pusher ton.
to be fair Monster was the first thing to come to mind as well

Cudder

The Evil Within is dope so far. RE4 x Silent Hill to the max. This generation has been pretty great for horror games.

It's been fun reading all of you guys' impressions on RTJ2. I'm gonna do a first listen now, but Esch was right in that everyone was tripping over themselves praising the first RTJ to high heavens, then the hype died down and people simmered their high praise, some even going the opposite way and disliking it now (if I remember correctly).

This year has been fucking shit for big rap releases. I'll admit I haven't kept up with mixtapes or low key releases that much. I'm in a bit of a music funk right now. The only shit I'm listening to are audiobooks (Kevin Smith's Tough Shit audiobook is amazing.) I'll dig up HRD's rap up posts at some point before the year ends, right now I don't even have a top 5.

Also I just watched Alien 3, I liked it. Expected it to be way worse from what people say about it. The CGI Alien was lol though.

Anther Hint!

"The beat is like dun dun dun dun dun dun with like 1 sec between each dun. And you hear heavy reverb WOOHOO and then like muthafuckin monsta WOOHOO. Maybe its a feature he did, unsre about him saying monster as well"

Anther Hint!

"The beat is like dun dun dun dun dun dun with like 1 sec between each dun. And you hear heavy reverb WOOHOO and then like muthafuckin monsta WOOHOO. Maybe its a feature he did, unsre about him saying monster as well"

Your friend must be the worst Charades partner ever.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My friend just asked me to find this Push a T song for him, its not on the last album btw

"So the beat was like dun dun dun dun and he would say like something monsta?? And heavy reverb woohoo!!!"

Any ideas?
That sounds more like Uptown by Travi$ Scott

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Ok I want to ask gaf hop's opinion on a question my friend asked me.

Why has Kanye had so much trouble becoming established as a fashion designer? when only a few years ago there were several rapper who had a clothing lines in stores (state property, rocawear, etc).

pablito

Why has Kanye had so much trouble becoming established as a fashion designer? when only a few years ago there were several rapper who had a clothing lines in stores (state property, rocawear, etc).

http://usonline.apc.fr/kanye

I've seen some pics of Kanye looking pretty stylish, but that doesn't mean you'd be able to make good looking stuff on your own. Price aside I wouldn't wear any of that.

Kanye is looking to be High Fashion (France, Italy, Runways, Models, etc..). Rappers clothing lines are typically just branded clothing that are produced and designed by major mainstream clothing companies.

It's a pretty big difference.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I mean the Hopsin vibes, as you put it, have to be the intended effect though right? If the intent was to win back that vocal internet fanbase that is.

And that platinum statistic is referring specifically to 2014 right? Not a 12 month time period?
I think they probably meant 2014, might have to go back and clarify. Good conversation though.

Man, I could've swore we spent an entire OT on this topic and trolling back and forth lol

Kanye's reasoning is that he is being blackballed from certain specific resources (materials that he needs) and fashion houses that control access to those, which is also why he got frustrated when Sway told him to just build it from the ground up like your typical artist's Redbubble hustle or w/e. He's not trying to make some GAP brand and sell it on the low, and he's not necessarily interested in the Roc-a-wear path (nor does he have the dynasty Jay had at the time, and the purchasing power the market had to support it). Other places (Nike) don't want to give him royalties like ball players etc. get. He wants a very specific niche, and the APC collections that he's been putting out are a good middleground (the only thing notable about the gear is the materials used, if you noticed) that also serves his ultimate goal of bringing "high" fashion down to affordable prices, but that requires sucking off everyone at Paris Fashion Week first.

I don't think we know why Pastelle (his first attempt at a clothing line) never panned out, probably for similar reasons.

The crux of the issue is that Kanye is frustrated that he needs the white people to open the doors so he.. can be accepted in the white people club (which he's aware of the contradiction, but he's still getting criticized for not having confidence in exploiting the strength of his own branding.. which then goes back to needing partners and you have a vicious cycle).

Esch

Banned
I was out tonight with a girl who works the front desk at the best hotel in STL and she told me that Wayne booked the executive suite in the house with another man. One bed.

2CsU5BA.png

overcast

Ye is trying to make high fashion clothes and that exclusive group wants none of him.

He should make overpriced, relatively cheap/okay quality shit and he'll make a killing.

DominoKid

this shit makes me wish the Wu wasnt all petty like 5 year olds.

Can someone tell me why some people are listening to this shit? What's so good about it and why are the comments praising it? (I would assume these two are moderating comments) This fucking sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZBgwUTnDA

i'm surprised it only has 30K views since it's on Revolt a couple times a day. i like it even though it isnt really about shit.

Yea nothing says affordable prices like a $120 white tee.

Kanye just wants important people to tell him he's smart and talented. He's very insecure and his mother basically brought him up to be an overly emotional dude always seeking validation.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yea nothing says affordable prices like a $120 white tee.
It's relatively affordable compared to $500-$1k street wear, which is the point. Don't skimp on the material costs, but make the margin as small as possible. Not hard to conceptualize.

Of course 99% of people don't care about the material quality if it's sufficient, but the goal isn't to sell to your grandma and grandpa anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom