• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
never got around to Logic's album, but didn't someone in here basically say he was borrowing a few dude's style throughout or am I making that up in my head?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i can't believe GAF-Hop is talking about Logic, he is exactly the rapper most regulars try to clown

The power of the Breakfast Club interview, I guess

i can't believe GAF-Hop is talking about Logic, he is exactly the rapper most regulars try to clown

I never even seen the Breakfast Club's interview, I just saw Big Ghost tweet about him sounding the same as Kendrick.

Courage

never got around to Logic's album, but didn't someone in here basically say he was borrowing a few dude's style throughout or am I making that up in my head?

He definitely reminds me of Kendrick and Drake but not to the point where I'll cry about it. Artists jack each other's styles in this genre all the time. The shitty emulators fade away anyway.

Big Ghost on Twitter talking about how Logic pretty much was trying to imitate Kendrick on his album. Checked some of the comments and someone said his track "Under Pressure" copied the same drums from Sing About Me.. So I checked out the track...

gxJAErW.png

Song sounds like Sing About Me pt 2 smh. No originality.

yup i noticed the vibe immediately in my "live review" last weekend in this thread
decent album just seems to lack originality or something

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I never even seen the Breakfast Club's interview, I just saw Big Ghost tweet about him sounding the same as Kendrick.
I just mean marketing in general. Nobody gave a fuck the last few times he's been mentioned in this thread. Now he's on a major label, got a BET cypher and we talmbout Logic.

Courage

I only watch Breakfast Club interviews for Angela Yee anyway. Takes a shit on Laura 'Doormat' Stylez.

EDIT: and the Charlamagne fuckery of course.

DominoKid

the couple logic tracks i've heard off the album sound like demo tracks for other people. didn't hear anything distinctive about him that made me want to listen to more of his album

I only watch Breakfast Club interviews for Angela Yee anyway. Takes a shit on Laura 'Doormat' Stylez.

EDIT: and the Charlamagne fuckery of course.

somebody needs to get Nessa on one of these big interview shows.

Esch

Banned

Man is on that Mac Miller GAF-Hop career path. When his next project drops, man in here will be talking about 'how much he improved', and how 'good his production is'.

jHy98P2tHz1Cf_e.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
somebody needs to get Nessa on one of these big interview shows.
I would watch a Nessa & MissInfo show. They'd complement themselves well. Ratchet & righteousness. MissInfo is one of the best interviewers in the biz I find, and Nessa wrings out the gossip rags and is very forward.

And obviously they're both fine as hell

Zabuza

Banned
I know so many uni dudes that like Logic and think he's the greatest rapper out now next to Kendrick and to them he's "underground". I really don't like his voice or lyrics or anything about him.
trash.png

These are the same people that bump G Eazy and flipped their shit yesterday when Drake dropped some throwaway tracks. Cause "that new Drake is fire every song he drops he kills". Of course, they still say Eminem is the GOAT but Kendrick and Drake are the best new artists. Idk man. I see these guys tweet Gambino lyrics talking about how deep they are. Logic fans are just wack. They're usually those cacs that say new rap is garbage and old school is the best even though old school to them is Eminem's first 3 albums. They despise stuff like Chief Keef and Thugger. They actually don't like most black artists. Odd Future and Pro Era get a pass somehow though. And Schoolboy.

I remember when a Wu Tang concert came to town they started acting like they loved Wu and shit, lasted about a week. I get that everyone has different tastes in music and all, but damn. These guys bump some really wack shit and talk about it like it's the second coming. I'd love to help them expand their musical tastes but it seems like a lost cause.

I'm not trying to rant or anything, or sound holier than thou. Just gets a bit old having these guys be everywhere and knowing only a couple people with tastes even close to similar to mine. Guess that's what GAF-Hop is for.

Also, new Saint Pepsi: https://soundcloud.com/saintpepsi/saint-pepsi-x-maxo-celebrate-me

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I know so many uni dudes that like Logic and think he's the greatest rapper out now next to Kendrick and to them he's "underground". I really don't like his voice or lyrics or anything about him.
trash.png

These are the same people that bump G Eazy and flipped their shit yesterday when Drake dropped some throwaway tracks. Cause "that new Drake is fire every song he drops he kills". Of course, they still say Eminem is the GOAT but Kendrick and Drake are the best new artists. Idk man. I see these guys tweet Gambino lyrics talking about how deep they are. Logic fans are just wack. They're usually those cacs that say new rap is garbage and old school is the best even though old school to them is Eminem's first 3 albums. They despise stuff like Chief Keef and Thugger. They actually don't like most black artists. Odd Future and Pro Era get a pass somehow though. And Schoolboy.

I remember when a Wu Tang concert came to town they started acting like they loved Wu and shit, lasted about a week. I get that everyone has different tastes in music and all, but damn. These guys bump some really wack shit and talk about it like it's the second coming. I'd love to help them expand their musical tastes but it seems like a lost cause.

I'm not trying to rant or anything, or sound holier than thou. Just gets a bit old having these guys be everywhere and knowing only a couple people with tastes even close to similar to mine. Guess that's what GAF-Hop is for.
I think siddx put it best on the other page. "Diet rap" and "people who are afraid of rap" are great descriptors for these types of people. If it's jamming, or someone who's dick their on gets on their shit though, they'll switch sets. Or they'll pretend to pay homage like they have some sort of connection with the OGs in the game.

Doesn't bother me as much because you can't concern yourself with other's insecurity or tastes. I don't have a taste in music like anyone else I've encountered online or off so yeah I might not be able to DJ at a party but I'm damn glad I don't have to run my opinions by others to have them validated or have to switch my shit up to please others.

Zabuza

Banned
I think siddx put it best on the other page. "Diet rap" and "people who are afraid of rap" are great descriptors for these types of people. If it's jamming, or someone who's dick their on gets on their shit though, they'll switch sets. Or they'll pretend to pay homage like they have some sort of connection with the OGs in the game.

Doesn't bother me as much because you can't concern yourself with other's insecurity or tastes. I don't have a taste in music like anyone else I've encountered online or off so yeah I might not be able to DJ at a party but I'm damn glad I don't have to run my opinions by others to have them validated or have to switch my shit up to please others.

Totally agree. I would just hate to be someone who could never leave their comfort zone as far as music goes.

overcast

You guys are describing a lot of the college dudes I've run into in the past few years. I don't know if I would say they're afraid of rap. They just listen to what's hot. Think it has cross over with "real rap" and party rap in a weird way. Maybe something to do with the Internet/blogosphere.

effzee

Most rap fans aren't listening to everything released or searching for every up and coming artist.

Like most music fans they like what they hear but aren't going to go out of their way to listen to past whatever reaches them.

And of course anything with a great beat/production that ppl can dance to is going to win out.

Courage

Totally agree. I would just hate to be someone who could never leave their comfort zone as far as music goes.
People are different. No point in getting riled up on something that's so subjective. Even if they don't want to delve into anything more than 'party rap' we're in no position to deem their taste inherently inferior.

That's probably not the point you were trying to make, but even trying to find some rationale in someone's tastes is a pointless cause.

Big Ghost on Twitter talking about how Logic pretty much was trying to imitate Kendrick on his album. Checked some of the comments and someone said his track "Under Pressure" copied the same drums from Sing About Me.. So I checked out the track...

gxJAErW.png

Song sounds like Sing About Me pt 2 smh. No originality.

what song?

Vorheez

People are different. No point in getting riled up on something that's so subjective. Even if they don't want to delve into anything more than 'party rap' we're in no position to deem their taste inherently inferior.

That's probably not the point you were trying to make, but even trying to find some rationale in someone's tastes is a pointless cause.
Yeah no matter how much I try, I can't get into like 70% of what you guys listen to (or talk about, anyway). I want to participate way more than I do in this community but I never have anything to say. Just the way she is boys

PBY

Banned
Yeah no matter how much I try, I can't get into like 70% of what you guys listen too (or talk about, anyway). I want to participate way more than I do in this community but I never have anything to say. Just the way she is boys
Pick an album and listen and give us your impressions

mooooose

Man is on that Mac Miller GAF-Hop career path. When his next project drops, man in here will be talking about 'how much he improved', and how 'good his production is'.

jHy98P2tHz1Cf_e.jpg

lead single of first album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ19PJ7-SWc
lead single of sophomore album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj4csT4eviU

not saying ur wrong, logic is wack af and ur joking and trolling but really mac miller did get better in every way, whereas i doubt logic will because mac miller just relocated and started ODing on drugs. logic has always mostly sucked and is trying to achieve noble, but feeble, goals because he sucks

Vorheez

Pick an album and listen and give us your impressions
Nahh it ain't that simple, when I drop in and see what you guys are talking about, by the time I listen to that album/song an entirely different topic is being discussed and I missed that opportunity to jump in. It's happened before, even just recently with staples. By the time I heard some tracks y'all were talkin about Rtj2, cant drop in with some random staples dap

Edit: not bitching, just how I see it

This.

Taste is personal. Trying to tell someone about their opinion is only gonna entrench them even deeper into their opinions.

Enjoy what you enjoy and let others do the same.

Even if you put undisputed as your aoty.

PBY

Banned
Nahh it ain't that simple, when I drop in and see what you guys are talking about, by the time I listen to that album/song an entirely different topic is being discussed and I missed that opportunity to jump in. It's happened before, even just recently with staples. By the time I heard some tracks y'all were talkin about Rtj2, cant drop in with some random staples dap
Why don't you just start the convo?

Seriously, just post what u thought about staples

big ander

listened to the Saba record today and wanted to quickly go to the rapup for HRD's take but it's still not in the OP!

I think it's good and definitely competes in Chance's lane. Saba's more cynical and less activist, he doesn't seem to want everybody to love each other and have a wonderful day together as much as he wants someone to recognize that he's screwed into being looked down upon for being another disadvantaged Chicago kid no matter how smart he is and that's bullshit. His flows are exciting though as an MC he didn't blow me away overall. neither did the beats, which all fit a mood really well but never knock me off my feet. the comparisons to Cilvia are super spot on in that I feel the same way about this as I do that record. it's good, I see the value, I'm glad I checked it out and could see Saba doing something really cool in the future. doesn't amp me up right now.

Camp Lo

Banned

I'm fairly new here but can't you just drop in with whatever? I mean, there's never a real river of conversation going, always seems like randomness.

Why don't you just start the convo?

Seriously, just post what u thought about staples

^

This is a cop out. Regulars here dip outta the thread for weeks and months at a time. Nothing stopping you listening to something, posting impressions and starting a discussion.

The thread does move fast but it's not a one way street. Look how much the same topics pop up over and over, kanye cycle etc

Quesa

Mac Miller got better because he had a bottom of the barrel niche to begin with.

Actually surprised that he's managed to stay relevant. I liked KIDS, but most of his other stuff before Watching Movies was awful. Even then it was uneven. I expected him to fall off immediately after he blew up.

Vorheez

Yeah yeah you guys are right, I gotta put some more effort in. I'm currently listening to Redmans Dare Iz A Darkside and I'll drop in with some thoughts later tonight after I do this psych paper

Yeah yeah you guys are right, I gotta put some more effort in. I'm currently listening to Redmans Dare Iz A Darkside and I'll drop in with some thoughts later tonight after I do this psych paper
I went through reds discography only lately. Make sure to post those impressions!

I don't like mac millers music.

overcast

Yeah that's true, like the dude below you just did haha
Yeah, Ander does that a lot. I personally love reading impressions of albums on here. Just jump in and post something. If you're jumped on, it's probably (mostly) in jest.

I don't know if I'm distracted by how fast he's flowing, but El-P's verse on Lie, Cheat, Steal is so damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom