• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Yeah so I've run through this new Black Milk a few times today and while I pretty much enjoy each individual track, when I look at it as a whole..

Kinda doesn't feel all that cohesive. Some of these tracks are made in an alchemist lane, others remind me of something DJ shadow or nujabes might do percussion wise, or something Dilla would do with a sample, I'm not really feeling that. This is kinda made (to me) in the style of a modern kanye or big boi album that tries to unite a bunch of disparate elements in one LP but not really fully exploring the language of any of these individual voices. It keeps your attention throughout the project but at the end of it all do you really feel like you reaped anything or any sort of forward motion was made?

Will keep listening though.

PBY

Banned
Yeah so I've run through this new Black Milk a few times today and while I pretty much enjoy each individual track, when I look at it as a whole..

Kinda doesn't feel all that cohesive. Some of these tracks are made in an alchemist lane, others remind me of something DJ shadow or nujabes might do percussion wise, or something Dilla would do with a sample, I'm not really feeling that. This is kinda made (to me) in the style of a modern kanye or big boi album that tries to unite a bunch of disparate elements in one LP but not really fully exploring the language of any of these individual voices. It keeps your attention throughout the project but at the end of it all do you really feel like you reaped anything or any sort of forward motion was made?

I agree with this, altho the live instruments hold it together sonically for me well enough. There's just not enough narrative/theme/arc to unite it, or it could be just that black milk is somewhat limited as an mc.

But I do like it a ton. Prooooob top 10 for me, but too soon to tell tbh

Interesting, I have an almost exactly opposite view. To me the album feels like a great fusion of Detroit electronica (heavy synths) and Detroit "bounce" music - live drums/bombastic snares, active bass, jazzy feel, etc. It's like a mix of Welcome 2 Detroit and Tronic. To me that's the Dilla influence - whereas BM's previous albums are full of insane Dilla-esque chops this one replaces that with a more natural, jazzy flow.

I don't feel like there are many disparate elements, if any. The first track is a great example of the synths and drums coming together and it flows throughout the album. Like his last album there isn't much in the way of Dilla-esque chopping, the soul samples are reserved as well.

In many ways this is the type of project I'd rather hear Thundercat on than that FlyLo album. The instrumentation here feels more natural, melodic, and groovy than the almost automated chaos of FlyLo.

dead @ a diss song from Tyga being better than the last three songs put out by Drake who is on top of the world

If he's the one who sent his goons to knock out DJ Future though.. I don't know what the fuck is going on. Wack MCs today sending goons out to handle shade on twitter/instagram SMH. Just as corny as Troy Average sending his mans to beat up Makonnen because he said his remix was wack.

Wait, that's what happened at NYC?

codhand

Niggas is Men.

for better or worse nothing else reminds me of this album, even other Quelle Chris albums. I threw this on Saturday night (been about a year),
ohhh.png
damn, probably my favorite rap album of the last five years.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Troy Average is so fucking funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-vxMO9vrU

This song is straight up a joke, like it's the funniest shit ever.
Like, I'm mad that this is even a thing and that you posted it.

This dude is so unabashedly corny.

Wait, that's what happened at NYC?
Well, we don't know for sure if he sent him, but the dude in the hoodie has been linked to Troy Ave despite his camp denying it. They're in all these pictures and videos together.

Courage

36 loves the fuckery. I'm gonna leave the Eminem Stans cannibalize each other in that thread tho. I did enough in the ShadyXV announcement thread.

Big Ghost on Twitter talking about how Logic pretty much was trying to imitate Kendrick on his album. Checked some of the comments and someone said his track "Under Pressure" copied the same drums from Sing About Me.. So I checked out the track...

gxJAErW.png

Song sounds like Sing About Me pt 2 smh. No originality.

Courage

Big Ghost on Twitter talking about how Logic pretty much was trying to imitate Kendrick on his album. Checked some of the comments and someone said his track "Under Pressure" copied the same drums from Sing About Me.. So I checked out the track...

gxJAErW.png

Song sounds like Sing About Me pt 2 smh. No originality.

What a stupid thing to complain about. People use the same samples all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom