• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camp Lo

Banned
Finally Famous > XXX

boshnoway.png

Oh, nevermind.

IrishNinja

I'm making fun of a post with that post

i know, i just ain't had the heart to post it in the danny thread where enzoes still capeing for sean

I was only joking too, no one is worse than Count.

this dog is getting more courageous by the day

Detox to be given via iTunes exclusively if you purchase beats headphones

not that detox would actually occur in nature but if it did, this fuckery feels highly possible

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We can't lose CountBlackule, he's our resident simp Drake correspondent.

Finally Famous > XXX
It's pretty self-evident.

That OT thread might just be the end of Danny TBH, he doesn't have the breadth of fans to be even losing 2-3 more. Might have to start moving shows from local diners to port-o-potties.

RIP Danny's career
October 8, 2013 - October 28, 2014

thabiz

15k isnt great. i would expect more than 15k just from internet buzz alone. the pitchfork fellatio should have netted him that easily.

Finally Famous is a better album than XXX. XXX is about as good as Hall of Fame, maybe slightly better because of 30. Danny knows it too, and he let his insecurities take shots at the throne when his product wasn't potent enough. Must have been embarrassing TBH, making an album that is a biography of sorts and it doesn't have as much staying power or keepers as a pop-rap album. But when your biggest influences are Earl and Chief Keef, it becomes a bit easier to understand.

XXX is easily the most overrated hip-hop album in perhaps a decade. Overrated thematically, in terms of standouts, lyricism, production, cohesion, influence, everything.

I was just talking quality of albums. Big Sean is way more technically skilled than Danny Brown, I don't think that's up for debate really. Danny attacks beats in the same 2-3 ways where as Big Sean often tries unorthodox flows and can really cook when he feels like it. Both have carved out their own unique styles. Big Sean's content tends to be a bit more vapid and materialistic, but I don't really think Danny's is that much more complex despite rooting itself in pain. I can see why people would prefer Danny, as he's more left field when it comes to delivery and a Pitchfork golden boy, but most of the praise for XXX is unfounded. It's merely an okay album, that really only gets to the heart of what people praise it for (emotional storytelling) in one or two songs, one being 30.
Q8hcI4z.gif

overcast

Pitchfork fans are fickle. Though they support Danny when it comes to touring. He is constantly on the road.

I think he should chill completely until his album drops and stay focused.

HiResDes

When I get home I'm going to write an essay on why XXX is a fucking monument in comparison to Big Seans entire being and it's going to be the realest shit I ever wrote.

Pathos

Banned
I could never really get into DMX but Reasonable Doubt is better than anything DMX has put out
2001 > the chronic, it is known

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
When I get home I'm going to write an essay on why XXX is a fucking monument in comparison to Big Seans entire being and it's going to be the realest shit I ever wrote.
I bet it's going to read like every other attempt to make XXX sound deep, complete with flimsy attempts to root influence out of it like any other artist actually listened to the joint and no mentions of Martians vs. Goblins tier songs like I Will and Monopoly.

Guess who's the little bitch, yes you
You must suck a lot of dick, thats true
I misuse, with issues and pistooools
Mind racing like Bristooool, heart of igloooos

powerful, much classic, brb gonna go bump A$$

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo you know I ride w u on FF...

But STAHP.
The universe is out of balance. Any world that has XXX as a classic is headed for implosion. It is my duty to guide us through these tough times. Boi.

2001 isn't as consistent, come on brehs. The guests aren't as good either.
Eh, I think that's debatable. The Chronic has snoop on pretty much everything in his prime, but I think everyone pretty much showed up on 2001 except for some of the female features and maybe Hit/Mel-man.

Monopoly is a classic drug haze headbanger, what an awful series of posts
ah yes, the classic curren$y "shit jams when you are deprived of your sensory inputs brehs" argument

HiResDes

Lady of Rage is the truth on the Chronic, might be tempted to go with that album...But the production on 2001 is incredible. I'm torn.

Esch

Banned
ah yes, the classic curren$y "shit jams when you are deprived of your sensory inputs brehs" argument

No, what I'm saying is that songs like Monopoly emulate that feel, that experience, that worldview very very well. The blood pounding in your head.

Don't like I Will either hm?

Can't relate, I guess
oqjkRWr.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
damn, caco fucks with FF like that?

might have to switch my shit up TBH

Danny is okay, once he gets his paper together he can fly in the no fly zone

This reply is exactly why you shouldn't take Enzo serious because what Esch said wasn't close to this at all. Lmao
Well, that sentence certainly had multiple interpretations, if you are implying it did not. Grammatically makes sense either way.

Esch

Banned
Make no mistake, Chronic 2001 is a classic, and it set a sonic template for the west coast for years and years
of stagnancy and wack garbagemen like The Game, effectively sonically choking the west coast hip hop capital and moving all it's talent underground
. But I digress.

The Chronic is iconic.

It's one of those albums where a person who doesn't know anything about hip hop whatsoever knows about. I daresay it's synonymous with hip hop.

If you're trying to argue that 2001 > Chronic, no, that 2001 supercedes The Chronic.... you're arguing against a huge perception pile. You can talk about Still DRE or Forgot About DRE all you want, but The Chronic is the beating, pulsating heart of G-Funk. This album was the springboard for Snoop Dogg. The Chronic 2001.... Gave us Eminem
vEwavjq.png

And I don't even listen to either album like that, nor do i give a fuck about Dre.
vEwavjq.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
2001 is a weird album. I can understand if people don't like it because it really has ups and downs, but the ups are just out of this world. We're talking about an album that has all of:

The Watcher
Still D.R.E.
Xxxplosive
Forgot About Dre
What's The Difference
The Next Episode

Some of those songs are the apex of those artists for me, or easily one of their greatest moments. The production really pushes it over the edge for me too (even with other songs like Bang Bang). The Chronic is a bit more cohesive but 2001 is this weird concoction of stuff that just sounds otherworldly.

Semi-related note: Bad Guys Always Die is a fucking amazing song. It's a part of 2001 in spirit for me. You need bullets! Hurry up, run!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom