• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
dwightsalute.png
That shit bumps

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
what happen to the chill tde? the one where you roll down your windows or throw on a nice track at a BBQ, Hol' Up tde. Dead, dead. I don't know about you guys, but the thing i originally liked most about West Coast Hip Hop was how chill and confident it was. Listen to something like Let Me Ride, for example. Shit makes you wanna lay up in a lazy-boy, bop a little with something on ice in one hand, an L in the other. Lost art.
TDE members (mostly talking about Soul and Kendrick here) and execs got thrown into the cycle of trying to make everything either a moment or a statement. Kendrick and Soul are overconfident, Jay Rock isn't putting enough out to judge, and Q is not giving a fuck as usual.

Kendrick lost the hunger, TBH. Not counting him out yet, because i could be a fluke, but Kendrick seems to be far too aware he's the shit and no one will challenge him.

IrishNinja

Listen to something like Let Me Ride, for example. Shit makes you wanna lay up in a lazy-boy, bop a little with something on ice in one hand, an L in the other. Lost art.

too much dust in this post - west coast is about lovin yaself & being intense now, get with the times bruh

i wonder if that people under the stairs album went well

overcast

Weak ass song. I liked Rock's last track, but this shit is totally out of his lane. Generic ass song. That chorus, yeesh.

Kendrick's verse is okay. That's not a Drake diss, come on.

Esch

Banned
TDE members (mostly talking about Soul and Kendrick here) and execs got thrown into the cycle of trying to make everything either a moment or a statement. Kendrick and Soul are overconfident, Jay Rock isn't putting enough out to judge, and Q is not giving a fuck as usual.

Kendrick lost the hunger, TBH. Not counting him out yet, because i could be a fluke, but Kendrick seems to be far too aware he's the shit and no one will challenge him.

I don't think Kendrick's lost the hunger at all. I think if anything, he's responding to the expectations 'real rap' fans are placing on him and not necessarily in a good way. He should take a piece of paper from the Jay or Kanye book and realize that when you're on a track with more than one person, it doesn't always have to come off like "oooh, he killed that verse" "murdered everyone on the track etc" . Just feels like a lot of his collaborations feel like a competition. That dog chomping at a bit flow....

Now conversely listen to Drake right now. he knows he's winning. it drips off his every verse, even the insecure ones. He's Vol. 3 right now on a yacht big pimpin not give a fuck status right now and it's paying dividends.

overcast

Yeah, I think that's about right Esch/PD. I'm not worried, I feel like we still don't have an idea of Kendrick's direction for his album. Which will be out May 2015.

IrishNinja

Now conversely listen to Drake right now. he knows he's winning. it drips off his every verse, even the insecure ones. He's Vol. 3 right now on a yacht big pimpin not give a fuck status right now and it's paying dividends.

you really think it's expectations with the "real rap" crowd that makes stuff i love myself or whatever happen though? i figured that was him branching out

as opposed to drizzy who has had no bad albums by me yet but has really started to paint himself into a corner with the limited material, so even when you feel his insecure stuff is dripping with winning, it's still tired insecure stuff, though

kendrick was never that great in the first place

and you're a good dude but like a fountain of bad opinions sometimes man

Esch

Banned
as opposed to drizzy who has had no bad albums by me yet but has really started to paint himself into a corner with the limited material, so even when you feel his insecure stuff is dripping with winning, it's still tired insecure stuff, though

This is classic tonedeaf nas stan posting youre throwing my way but it's not about what he's saying it's about how the music sounds and feels. Content is importent, but sonic everything trumps. There's a disconnect between how hurried and tense Kendricks verses feel and the supposed crown he wears.

He needs to chill and give his lines some more room to breathe imo.

And I blame interscope and
Macklemore fans
for the hot trash that is I Love Myself.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kendrick lost the hunger? Based off one single and some guest verses. Get outta here, Petergirl.
So how many years do you need of the same shit from Kendrick before you consider it a pattern? Because it's been a year since Control.

I don't think Kendrick's lost the hunger at all. I think if anything, he's responding to the expectations 'real rap' fans are placing on him and not necessarily in a good way. He should take a piece of paper from the Jay or Kanye book and realize that when you're on a track with more than one person, it doesn't always have to come off like "oooh, he killed that verse" "murdered everyone on the track etc" . Just feels like a lot of his collaborations feel like a competition. That dog chomping at a bit flow....

I think that's a symptom of losing hunger. You get comfortable, and instead of challenging yourself or continuing to do you you sort of let others dictate your output because you ultimately know eyes are on you now. I agree with what you're saying, though. Even if he is hungry, it's for seemingly the same and/or wrong thing.

Meh. He wasn't trying to compete anyone on Fucking Problems, Fragile, Jealous, Collard Greens, etc - ie the majority of his recent collabs with rappers. Control? Yea he went off but last time I checked everyone liked that. It seems like that verse has created an alternate dimension that people continue to reference with statements that literally aren't true ("Kendrick yells on most of his guest verses").

The dude released an album nearly everyone here thinks is brilliant. I tend to think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. It seems like we're building up to an immediate rejection of his next album no matter what. First listen: oh it's not better than GKMC, the end. Even if it's a good album. Sort of like what happened with Old, which is a really good album; the first side is near perfect but some (or many depending on your perspective) meh tracks on the second side apparently doomed it to the nether regions.

Kendrick has talent and infinite studio resources. To make matters better his production team is really solid. I'm gonna assume he'll be fine until proven otherwise. It's not like he's Nas: ie a bad ear for beats and no production team to feed him heat, completely divorced from the current scene. Who cares if Kendrick isn't listening to the radio - his producers are for him.

IrishNinja

This is classic tonedeaf nas stan posting youre throwing my way but it's not about what he's saying it's about how the music sounds and feels. Content is importent, but sonic everything trumps. There's a disconnect between how hurried and tense Kendricks verses feel and the supposed crown he wears.

He needs to chill and give his lines some more room to breathe imo.

And I blame interscope and
Macklemore fans
for the hot trash that is I Love Myself.

not disagreeing with the latter, but the former - okay? do i gotta defend nas' lesser albums to hold that view, then?
i just got done saying drake puts together good albums. doesn't change the fact that by the end of the last one, shit started to feel tired. ya'll go on & on about how bad KRIT needs to take daytrips out to the carolinas but variations on simp anthem start to feel a bit played after 4 albums of em since...'09 or so? honestly, if his next is an R&B joint like the rumors that might fit that mold better, or maybe make dude feel like he has more room.

next you're gonna tell me those recent tracks were exciting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The dude released an album nearly everyone here thinks is brilliant. I tend to think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. It seems like we're building up to an immediate rejection of his next album no matter what. First listen: oh it's not better than GKMC, the end. Even if it's a good album. Sort of like what happened with Old, which is a really good album; the first side is near perfect but some (or many depending on your perspective) meh tracks on the second side apparently doomed it to the nether regions.
It's a sophomore slump. Kendrick will deal with it like every other artist has for decades.

I just saw an argument about Illmatic vs. It Was Written today on twitter. Once you accept (especially today) that knee jerk reactions are just that, everything works about better in the long run, and in most cases, you can't really make those conclusions until the shit has had time to cool off anyways.

IrishNinja

yeah, i'm generalizing. but there's a pretty related narrative to be drawn, even just from NWTS: save-a-ho, loneliness, grrl you could do better, insecurity anthem, etc. you kinda said it yourself: even the swag on em tracks ooze insecurity, and not aggressively like say ye does.

even style wise, there's more ballad-y type tracks than, say, his mixtape/so far gone. was i the only one feelin pretty samey after revisiting his last album? i mean, from those of you who fuck with drake.

overcast

It's a sophomore slump. Kendrick will deal with it like every other artist has for decades.

I just saw an argument about Illmatic vs. It Was Written today on twitter. Once you accept (especially today) that knee jerk reactions are just that, everything works about better in the long run, and in most cases, you can't really make those conclusions until the shit has had time to cool off anyways.
Yeah, good post. Right before you got banned? Who did this to you Enzo? (intentionally taken out of the game for a bit?)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Gotta be requested, like WW said nothing in his history indicates a ban. Unless they are banning for being Kanye stans, which I fully endorse.

Enzo is good people

That Jay Rock track sounds like a throwaway from the Eminem/Skylar Grey files.

Ah well. I still have no idea what you guys expected from Jay Rock tbh

Hold that ban Enzo

Koozek

I hate that cheesy and over-the-top rappedi-rap-rap flow that Kendrick's doing lately :( Same reason I can't listen to anything Em's doing the last few years. I loved technical rap when I was younger, but it's absolutly unlistenable and grating for me nowadays.
"Dog-chomping-at-a-bit flow" is the perfect term, Esch :D DMX and Mystical are dope, though.

I'll still go in Kendrick's new album with no expectations as I try not to overhype things anymore in general. You can enjoy way more stuff like that^^ For example, I had zero expectations for it and
I loved Lightning Returns -
nope, I'm not even ashamed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom