• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

this struggle dance
KGjg6tk.gif

leave it to schmurda bub
KGjg6tk.gif

Shit looks like the slave 2 step. This is the lost scene in Gangs of New York where boys celebrated the emancipation proclamation.

mooooose

well those brands are a special brand of suck. i'd be embarassed to see folks rocking that IRL.

supreme is like straight up bland basics but they slap that box logo or SUPREME on it and it's like gold in clothing form. i just don't get why you would fork out for anything but the most unique pieces. even the little knickknacks are priced ridiculous. and then all that shit resells for 2 or 3x.
Supreme USED to be dope as fuck. Almost all their shit was cool Ralph Lauren/Nautica flips of stuff that was well out of season, and their t-shirt designs had more effort and were by a bunch of designers who are now at other brands.

They also were cooler back when streetwear wasn't super poppin with teenagers. Their designs were very NYC and they either worked with NYC artists or repped NY. They were also the first streetwear brand to do big collaborations with celebrities and rappers, like Kate Moss, Mike Tyon, Rae, and Dipset. Those tees are way too hype now, even though they're cool, but the meaning was that a small brand could make it and remain small.

But now they just got bigger and the internet diluted their worth.

Classic Supreme is any streetwear head's favorite brand, and I'm pretty sure almost any good brand is try to recreate that.

edit - Some stuff used to be cheaper too, especially their tees.

Here's an example of cool box logos:
http://kopbox.com/kopbox/aspx/archive.aspx

Things like The Sopranos box logo were dope as fuck, they did that as the show was just starting to gain momentum. They were always on things like that, which made them cool. It's harder to appreciate design flips like that now because everyone has photoshop and tumblr and there is just a lot more people making things.

CoolOff

I've been sleeping on this Staples-EP. I really liked 65 Hunnid when it dropped, but I just recently realized how filthy the beats on Hands Up and Blue Suede are, especially the first one.

Pathos

Banned
So I finally watched the i video. The song is growing on me and the video was good, I liked the message. I have no idea what kendrick was doing tho (the dance move) lol.

Quesa

RTJ2 having that reverse effect of becoming more enjoyable on subsequent listens

Yeah. I only recently noticed that the voice that says "You are now listening to Run the Jewels... 2" goes into gibberish mode right after that until it fades out. Lots of little touches like that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Impressions - T.I. - Paperwork

It's.. much better and consistent than I expected? Decent project IMO, pretty analogous to Cadillactica: strong opening, good bangers/well produced songs pepperred throughout but the songs for the chicks tend to be the most irratable, and it begins to slow up about 2/3 of the way through in terms of quality. Don't expect to go into it finding many more great songs that aren't the singles though.

I feel like if this album had some hype behind it I might say it's a good project but it just sort of.. exists. Tip doesn't really bring anything new to the table, his tribute to Doe B was kind of weird, and overall it just feels like he threw it out to stay relevant; something that is worrying especially considering he says he's already got his next 2.5 albums ready to throw out, marketing and everything, when he feels he's getting cold again. You get that calculated, just business feeling listening. Maybe I've been spoiled by concept albums, but yeah. Enjoyed it more than Seen It All though, which I didn't expect.

Vorheez

Man, thinkin about what happened to gibbs and what PD said, are there any real gangster rappers left? Maybe other than Gucci and Boosie

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I feel like Kendrick has yet to really make a misstep, musically at least. I've enjoyed just about everything he's put out so far. There is always a chance his next album is Lasers 2.0, but I feel like having an actual crew around him will help keep him grounded. He's not saying any kinds of ridiculous shit in interviews, either.

i (love myself) is definitely a departure from anything he's done to date, but that's fine by me. I get so bored when musicians run out the same shit as their big successes. And there is nothing wrong with an occasional positive vibe song. Even NWA and ODB had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom