• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the next gibbs project just has 3 or 4 songs about getting shot at. I need more verses about restaurants.

watching this Kendrick video is like eating four kraft singles straight, but it also weirdly made me appreciate the song just a little more. still a 5/10 at best thanks to the hokey loop and first two verses, but the last third of the song gets better with each listen. and the video being corny with all the dancing and "look how posi we're being though" vibe somehow makes me appreciate what he's trying to do a bit more. but there's still an overblown wtf element to it, like dude who's about to blow his brains out before he hears kendrick rap outside his window. what?

Haven't seen the video but what you describe sounds rather heavy handed. Kendrick sounds QUITE focused on suicide, specifically the things he hears from fans who meet him and say they would have killed themselves if not for his music. A lot of people feel that way about a variety of art, I just hope Kendrick doesn't approach the topic from the most surface value position. His best songs work because it's clear they're quite personal. Can he achieve the same while discussing stories he isn't as directly connected to? Granted he kept saying that homies in prison were discussing suicide with him so I guess that'll be the connection, but we'll see.

overcast

Interview with Breakfast Club was great. Seems to me like he's focused on what he wants to do. That's all we have to work with and that sounds good to me.

PlayDat

dude's scale makes sense it's just not the same as everyone elses. In that, for most people average is about grade C level which is around 7. he just shifts scores (smartly) so that 5 is average.

I like that scale better for music and movies, it's way more informative than how other writers and sites split hairs among 400 7s (p4k is way terrible with this, every album gets either a 6.5 or above or a 4 or lower. garbage)

This why I don't fuck with 10 point scales. How are people supposed to be able to tell what number each site wants to use as their average?

When they're using 7 it pretty much means everything from 1-4 is unredeemable trash. Reviewers are also afraid to give 10s for some reason which only reinforces the idea that the best possible score means perfect rather than "this album receives our highest honor,"

If you must use numbers at all then I think 1-5 is better. No halfsies though since that puts you back at 10.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Impressions - Cadillactica

It's a decent effort, I think it lacks some of the real standouts that even the weakest of his other projects have, particularly when it comes to downtempo songs. Like many other instances in music, the project takes a nosedive once E-40 starts rapping on Mind Control. That song is a potentially decent song ruined by features, and from then onwards the production is a bit more familiar (and recognizably "K.R.I.T.-y" in flavour) and songs just a bit more boring (Lost Generation, Saturdays = Celebration and Lac Lac are okay though). I think the Rico Love feature is pretty weak too, never liked the guy.

Standouts are Soul Food for sure and probably My Sub Pt.3. New version of Mt. Olympus is also a big downgrade IMO, kind of loses the atmosphere. Right now this is in my Top 5.

I would try to tell y'all why I think the i music video is great.. but it'll just end like this
schoolbags.gif

So fuck it

big ander

"i" video was posted a bunch last page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aShfolR6w8

EDIT: also codhand that record looks dope, love the sleeve window.
Haven't seen the video but what you describe sounds rather heavy handed. Kendrick sounds QUITE focused on suicide, specifically the things he hears from fans who meet him and say they would have killed themselves if not for his music. A lot of people feel that way about a variety of art, I just hope Kendrick doesn't approach the topic from the most surface value position. His best songs work because it's clear they're quite personal. Can he achieve the same while discussing stories he isn't as directly connected to? Granted he kept saying that homies in prison were discussing suicide with him so I guess that'll be the connection, but we'll see.
This is where I'm hung up. cause the video depiction far as I can tell is just kendrick walking by some window and then you see in and dude lowers a revolver pointed at his head. It could be artistically worthwhile if kendrick made suicide a theme in his work but if he treats it that simply it'll come off kinda gross. takes nuance.
I would try to tell y'all why I think the i music video is great.. but it'll just end like this
schoolbags.gif

So fuck it

I'd wanna hear this though, cause I liked parts of it but came out conflicted overall

Damn, Kendrick's Breakfast Club interview is so much better than his Hot 97 one.

Rosenberg seems to think people give a shit about his underground credentials. I like that shit but the vast majority of people probably roll their eyes at his schtick. The Breakfast Club is more naturally entertaining. No Ebro talking about drinking breast milk. No nut hugging.

Cheddahz

Banned
Detective Cheddahz on the case.

After the pre-game concert in Cleveland last week, Imagine Dragons recommended "Shake It Off" to Kendrick as the first step into getting back into the world of the radio. Kendrick then heads back to his tour bus (which is "Powered By Beats") and he searches 'Shake It Off" on iTunes, buys the single of it (without listening to it once) and starts blasting it on the bus. As the chorus kicks in, Kendrick then starts to "shake it off" in front of a full body mirror and he starts to mutter "I love myself" and as the song keeps on going, he starts singing along with the song and that is how we have a recorded version of Kendrick singing "Shake It Off"

Macca

After the pre-game concert in Cleveland last week, Imagine Dragons recommended "Shake It Off" to Kendrick as the first step into getting back into the world of the radio. Kendrick then heads back to his tour bus (which is "Powered By Beats") and he searches 'Shake It Off" on iTunes, buys the single of it (without listening to it once) and starts blasting it on the bus. As the chorus kicks in, Kendrick then starts to "shake it off" in front of a full body mirror and he starts to mutter "I love myself" and as the song keeps on going, he starts singing along with the song and that is how we have a recorded version of Kendrick singing "Shake It Off"
I give this 6/10. Not PD kenneth story level, but not bad.

effzee

Lupe actually dropped a good verse on that KRIT album
kttcolipatrice

Lupe comes correct most of the time but his production and overall sense of direction is all over the place.

That new Slaughterhouse is damn good. Finally they get it right. Short good verses from all 4, great beat, and less of battle rap style. You don't have to super aggressive to come across confident.

Just Blaze hopefully understands this and leads them in the right direction for their album.

Lupe comes correct most of the time but his production and overall sense of direction is all over the place.

That new Slaughterhouse is damn good. Finally they get it right. Short good verses from all 4, great beat, and less of battle rap style. You don't have to super aggressive to come across confident.

Just Blaze hopefully understands this and leads them in the right direction for their album.
In Just Blaze I trust.

Some Love Lost is a return to form for Joey. It's more Mood Muzik that his fans will love.

I mean, it's better than his last few projects, but he's in a rut sonically, and has been for a while. The further we get from his debut, the more it seems he's incapable of making these introspective tracks with a wider range of sounds like Walk With Me, Calm Dawn, and 10 Minutes. He really needs to get some more dynamic production because his approach is tired.

Esch

Banned
You can't be surprised about Reps taking over, Dems don't vote midterm elections, prolly never will.

I just think it's funny that people reelected Rick Scott (this man is an actual criminal, and in a just world he'd be sent to the gallows. seriously). And Mitch McConnell.

Quesa

dammit I voted and my only options for like five votes were down to a libertarian and a republican democrats don't even try around here

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I mean, it's better than his last few projects, but he's in a rut sonically, and has been for a while. The further we get from his debut, the more it seems he's incapable of making these introspective tracks with a wider range of sounds like Walk With Me, Calm Dawn, and 10 Minutes. He really needs to get some more dynamic production because his approach is tired.
I mean you're right

But here's another Cardiak/J. Cardim produced track ft. Emanny anyways.

I really like that Kendrick video, moreso than the song. Couldn't help but think about the Ferguson protests while seeing some of the imagery in the video.

Overall the vibe really reminded me of the Got Till It's Gone video (Janet Jackson).

our current government is conservative too, but the fuckery isn't nearly as bad as it is in US i think.

lol complex shadow closing the border

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom