• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
iwPUvvycfnu37.jpg

is this part of the marvel movie plan that disney has put together?

Esch

Banned
Second off, Hov wasn't really rapping about being a street level dealer, or robbing people. He's been rapping about being a mafioso from the beginning, including that ludicrous line about losing 90 bricks.
Even though Hov assumed the Don persona a lot I always felt like more of his raps were a combination of street level shit and capo shit though. Like if you ignore the scale of it all its corner kid and middleman shit.

Bread

Banned
Was Nas ever a good live act? I saw him a couple times a few years ago and I'm watching this documentary on Illmatic right now and the dude can't do 2 lines of a song in a row without someone filling in a word or two.

Bread

Banned
:lol it was an honest question, I love Nas and illmatic is my favorite album of all-time. Just wondering if he fell off when he got older. Obviously Live at the Barbeque is insane so I know he used to have something.

Was Nas ever a good live act? I saw him a couple times a few years ago and I'm watching this documentary on Illmatic right now and the dude can't do 2 lines of a song in a row without someone filling in a word or two.

He's a hit and miss honestly. Nas has some of my favorite and worst concert performances ever.

Really liked his Time is Illmatic concert when he was here

Really interactive with the crowd and such, but has some flabby and sick in his veins.

I saw Nas with his backing band Mulatto, and when he was on tour with Damien Marley...both times he killed it. They were both outdoor venues, though. Idk if that makes a difference.

Bread

Banned
I saw Nas with his backing band Mulatto, and when he was on tour with Damien Marley...both times he killed it. They were both outdoor venues, though. Idk if that makes a difference.
I saw him with Damien at bonnaroo and he was so disappointing, it sounded like he was forgetting his lines...

Just finished the Time is Illmatic documentary, not bad not great. I was hoping for more studio stuff like some other album docs I've seen before, but it was cool to learn the history of what brought him to make the album.

Esch

Banned

TBH, the accounts and videos are always mixed. I've seen really good performances from him on the net, and some shameful ones. I'd say it's about the same for his freestyles too.

Nas is more of a studio act IMO, nothing wrong with that.

Cudder

no idea.

don't get any ideas guys

I say we send you as a mole to the kids school as a new student. Try and talk to the kid, get any info you can on Kendrick's new album. What is sounds like, etc.

Any worries of your cover being blown will be put to rest when you take out your lunch pale with chicken fingers and chocolate milk at lunch time.

IrishNinja

literally can't stop bumping RTJ2, again shit reaches DMX levels of gym/run/box/etc hype

Any worries of your cover being blown will be put to rest when you take out your lunch pale with chicken fingers and chocolate milk at lunch time.

damn, shots fired

Good performance of I'm Gone by Logic on Fallon. All was well until he came up to shake his hand and called the cd Undergraduate. Fallon tainted by Yeezus.

Interview with Freddie Gibbs, apparently right before the shooting

Thought this would be a fun quote for GAF-Hop, lol:

Freddie Gibbs said:
FG: ...But Drake, he’s the best rapper.
OKP: You think Drake’s the best rapper, better than you?
FG: Yeah, right now he is. You’ve got to work up to certain levels. He’s on a different level than me, yeah of course
OKP: Would you want to work with him, in a kind of collaboration?
FG: Yeah, he’s like the LeBron James of shit right now. He’s got all the range.

IrishNinja

they're in such different lanes, it's kind've a weird comment for me.

like, drake's handle on his crossover/etc spot is undeniable, but gibbs soars above him in...well, the areas i dig, anyway. i get him killing some of drizzy's beats & being open to collab money but that's about it.

Esch

Banned
No doubt, Drake can many different kinds of songs and work with lots of sounds. But any sort of political or social commentary from him that's a narrative and not punchline based would be meh/decent at best and
mjlol.png
at worst.

I say we send you as a mole to the kids school as a new student. Try and talk to the kid, get any info you can on Kendrick's new album. What is sounds like, etc.

Bzy0jbOIAAE_qS8.jpg

codhand

Like who really run this?
Like who really run that man that say he run this?
Who who really run that man that say he run this, run run run run this?
Like who really fund this?
Like who really fund who say he fund this?

I see Gibbs. He's playing politics, nothing more. Gibbs is often a dumbass but he makes some interesting moves sometimes - at least to me as a recovering obsessive rap nerd. I really noticed this on that Jeezy diss when he said "yea I know you sold drugs, but..." or whatever. Everyone in ATL knows Jeezy was never really a drug dealer, he just was cool with some BMF dudes. So I can't help but think that Gibbs was essentially saying "I'll play along with your image if you play along with mine." That shit interested the rap nerd side of me brehs.

codhand

I see Gibbs. He's playing politics, nothing more. Gibbs is often a dumbass but he makes some interesting moves sometimes - at least to me as a recovering obsessive rap nerd. I really noticed this on that Jeezy diss when he said "yea I know you sold drugs, but..." or whatever. Everyone in ATL knows Jeezy was never really a drug dealer, he just was cool with some BMF dudes. So I can't help but think that Gibbs was essentially saying "I'll play along with your image if you play along with mine." That shit interested the rap nerd side of me brehs.

ohhh.png

total power move, sit at the head of the table not the side.

like, who are you gonna say instead of Drake? Danny Brown
pachah1.png

thabiz

He's on that new song and it's eh. Beat is dope but the vocal mix and shit is ehh. Just Blaze said the same thing about the track.

I want to hear Wu over shit like Trillmatic. Meth sounded so at home on that beat...

my hype is about 2 for the album, but it will be nice to hear him again with the crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom