• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

RTJ2 is free? I thought the first one did pretty well thanks to some dope artwork, pretty surprised they aren't going the same route.

There has to be some type of limited vinyl or CD release, come on.
The first was one was free for digital download I believe as well.

overcast

Run the Jewels live are great live, but I'm still not a huge fan of the first album aside from like 4-5 songs. Still interested in RTJ2.

Hugstable

Banned
Damn I just learned today that we are getting a Run the Jewels 2 in October? The hype is real fuckkk yeah! Run The Jewels was one of my favorite 2013 albums, but that should be a given since Killer Mic kills whatever he touches. Bout to run through the whole tracklist again of RTJ just to celebrate. I really need to keep up with hip-hop news and releases more often or else I'm gonna end up missing stuff I really like.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Brehs, dat new Statik Selektah
post-22656-0-73511700-1345565741.gif
some of the best throwback sounds I've listened to

Refuse to believe until I hear that shit myself. Last thing I enjoyed from him was that collab EP with Gibbs.

Esch

Banned
the EP was like getting one small bite of a nice burger.
That shit was kinda pointless lol. Had way too little music. If you're putting out a nice little EP you better not waste time on interludes. Night's Gambit is my favorite album of the past 5 years or so but that was kinda lame.

Courage

So Esch, I listened to 3 of Dalek's albums from the ones you suggested (From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots, Abandoned Language, Absence). What an experience that was. My favorite is probably From Filthy Tongue, it had some of the craziest experimentation I've ever heard in a hip hop record. One of my favorite songs from that album is Black Smoke Rises and I don't even think Dalek drops a bar in that song. Just utilizes the glitch and noise sounds so much to its advantage. The atmosphere of the whole album is absolutely amazing, while still maintaining a traditional structure lyrically. Dalek has a pretty approachable flow for such a crazy album, and can definitely see why some people would prefer this over something like Death Grips.

Classical Homicide is one of my favorite grimdark hip hop songs.

If I had to rate them:

1. From Filthy Tongue
2. Absence (I love how abrasive and terrifying this album gets)
3. Abandoned Language

Will definitely check out the rest of their albums.

Esch

Banned
So Esch, I listened to 3 of Dalek's albums from the ones you suggested (From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots, Abandoned Language, Absence). What an experience that was. My favorite is probably From Filthy Tongue, it had some of the craziest experimentation I've ever heard in a hip hop record. One of my favorite songs from that album is and I don't even think Dalek drops a bar in that song. Just utilizes the glitch and noise sounds so much to its advantage. The atmosphere of the whole album is absolutely amazing, while still maintaining a traditional structure lyrically. Dalek has a pretty approachable flow for such a crazy album, and can definitely see why some people would prefer this over something like Death Grips.

Classical Homicide is one of my favorite grimdark hip hop songs.
[/URL]
If I had to rate them:

1. From Filthy Tongue
2. Absence (I love how abrasive and terrifying this album gets)
3. Abandoned Language

Will definitely check out the rest of their albums.

Make sure you listen to the Negro Necro Nekros EP too shit is powerful. Glad you enjoyed. Amazing project imo.

Bacon

Hey guys, looking for some new stuff to listen to, my rap rotation has gotten stale. Any good albums come out this year? The last big one I can remember is Schoolboy Q's and that was a pretty big disappointment for me.

Courage

Hey guys, looking for some new stuff to listen to, my rap rotation has gotten stale. Any good albums come out this year? The last big one I can remember is Schoolboy Q's and that was a pretty big disappointment for me.

Pinata - Freddie Gibbs/Madlib
Cilvia Demo - Isaiah Rashad
The God Complex - Goldlink
Black Hystori Project - Cyhi
So It Goes - Ratking
The Water - Mick Jenkins

If you're feeling nostalgic for some good 90s throwback rap, listen to Statik Selektah's new album, What Goes Around.

Hugstable

Banned
To the new guys around, stay, cause we need new blood always.

And welcome back Courage, was wondering where you went.

Yeah I'll be staying now, really like how you guys always got the new videos and music recommendations always coming up. I'm so horrible about finding out Hip-Hop news and releases on my own.

Also just wondering who you guys have seen live in concert before and who actually gets down on their preformances? I myself have seen Andre Nickatina, Ludacris, Talib Kweli, Cunninlynguists, and Dubee AKA. Sugawolf pimp. Only performance I've seen that was whatever was when I passed by E-40 at Hot Import Nights one time, he really didn't give a fuck then though haha.

Welcome breh, and I agree Ka is dope as hell. Can't wait for his album this year, the EP was like getting one small bite of a nice burger.

what, new album, again? i feel like his last two albums just came out hah. not complaining of course, glad the dude is productive.

That shit was kinda pointless lol. Had way too little music. If you're putting out a nice little EP you better not waste time on interludes. Night's Gambit is my favorite album of the past 5 years or so but that was kinda lame.

i dunno, i kinda like Still Heir and Years more than anything on The Night's Gambit. perfectly moody, for my tastes anyway.

sooo my 16 year old brother has nostalgia for Akon, because dude used to be on EVERY SONG but then vanished

that's what happens when you're literally making more money than you know what to do with

Damn, I just read about a big song he is gonna be on the other day but it escapes my mind at the moment.

He's going to be on Jeezy's album.

Dude made a stupid amount of money, features, his own albums, T-Pain's albums, his production, his label, Lady Gaga. It's crazy to think how well he did for himself.

PlayDat

Are Mass Appeal and Fool's Gold affiliated at all? The first Run the Jewels was under Fool's Gold, second one is Mass Appeal. Their websites sometimes post each other's shit.

I realize it's unrealistic to expect a label head to be involved in albums on his label but jeez I wish Nas was on RTJ2. Just to get him in the studio with El-P.

Cheddahz

Banned
so, i just took a quiz and i put the answer down that the professor told us to (which is that a project quiz happens after every project) and it's been marked incorrect for me on both of the quizzes i have taken for him. i mean it's only a quiz, but should i hit him up about it? (sorry that this is off-topic)

the new rtj song doesn't sound too bad

edit: nick cannon and mariah carey are getting a divorce

Hugstable

Banned
so, i just took a quiz and i put the answer down that the professor told us to (which is that a project quiz happens after every project) and it's been marked incorrect for me on both of the quizzes i have taken for him. i mean it's only a quiz, but should i hit him up about it? (sorry that this is off-topic)

the new rtj song doesn't sound too bad

edit: nick cannon and mariah carey are getting a divorce

Yeah why wouldn't you bring it up to him? If it's a legit mistake that might have been overlooked than you should definitely bring it up to him, especially if that quiz has alot of points to it.

HiResDes

Summer is ending soon so we should have a special BBQ plug session tonight! Bring your favorite BBQ jams and some grilled Mahi Mahi if you got it like that.

JohnDoe

Banned
that's not irony that's irishninja

lol

Real talk now: I think we can all agree that most of these over Dilla shippers love him because they heard Donuts... And it's been confirmed by Questlove himself that what let to Donuts was J Dilla listening to TCD sampling (or to be more specific, Spaceship) and thinking to himself that of all the times he has heard the OG Marvin Gaye sample, he never would have chopped it like Kanye did... It fucked him up so much he spent his time after that sampling the shit out of soul records in strange ways (just listen to his unreleased 2005 beat tapes) which led to Donuts.

Dilla has also given Kanye tons of his drum libraries on ZIP drives before his death... He really was into his music and has said himself he wanted to do collabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom