• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will concede to being wrong, but it's hard to vocalize what I don't like about it. I've given the album about five complete listens, that's more than I give most modern rap albums that I don't entirely love. At times I wasn't really enthralled by the backing music either. But I also don't think Russian Roulette is the greatest album. Maybe I'm just not into strong conceptual rap albums unless they're somewhat blunt and surface-level like XXX and GKMC. Although I loved Jeremiah Jae's Rawhyde more than anyone, but the concept of it was rather accessible. I value immediacy in rap above all else, because when I compare the music of Lese Majesty to my favorite ambient/electronic albums shit doesn't even register.

Along the lines of straight electronic albums I think Lese Majesty compares very favorably in the same lane as like, Blue Hawaii. Both are real mellow and have very intricate, detailed production approaches that require focused, active listening over long periods of groove to appreciate. And I know you dug Blue Hawaii. It's just with rap serving as a base instead of ethereal female vocals. More aggressive, too, and definitely attempting something different. But similar enough in execution to make a comparison.

Sometimes a change in perspective RE: how albums are assembled, what they want to accomplish, and what they compare to helps change my frame enough to have them click. OTOH sometimes stuff never does. At the end of the day music is all sounds we like for one arbitrary reason or another.

HiResDes

Along the lines of straight electronic albums I think Lese Majesty compares very favorably in the same lane as like, Blue Hawaii. Both are real mellow and have very intricate, detailed production approaches that require focused, active listening over long periods of groove to appreciate. And I know you dug Blue Hawaii. It's just with rap serving as a base instead of ethereal female vocals. More aggressive, too, and definitely attempting something different. But similar enough in execution to make a comparison.

Sometimes a change in perspective RE: how albums are assembled, what they want to accomplish, and what they compare to helps change my frame enough to have them click. OTOH sometimes stuff never does. At the end of the day music is all sounds we like for one arbitrary reason or another.

you know me too well fuck, damn you have a good memory.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
all right, gave Lese Majesty a listen.

while I do like some of the instrumentals and appreciate it for its novelty, this album doesn't really do much for me. the spacious, otherworldly sound is really neat and different, but I found myself less and less interested in this project as it progressed.

props to Shabazz Palaces for creating something experimental and unique, but I just can't vibe with this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
can someone explain to me what Scion AV is

I could've swore it was just some indie artist waiting to hit over the head by lawyers but it's some sort of music funding program or something?

CoolOff

I could've swore it was just some indie artist waiting to hit over the head by lawyers but it's some sort of music funding program or something?

Grown Up being released on it always confused the hell out of me.

Esch

Banned

© Scion AV is a cool new label designed to bring Scion Culture™ to young, hip adults on the up and up. Toyota ® is devoted to the discovery, nurture, funding and distribution of compelling music and arts programming!

Hugstable

Banned
© Scion AV is a cool new label designed to bring Scion Culture™ to young, hip adults on the up and up. Toyota ® is devoted to the discovery, nurture, funding and distribution of compelling music and arts programming!

lol this post made me laugh. Why is a spinoff of a car company now producing music.... I'm so confused

big ander

the scion label/advertising weird thing has put out some good music, mostly hot sugar, but I think sugar also said they fucked him over at some point and were weird about language.

Esch

Banned
lol this post made me laugh. Why is a spinoff of a car company now producing music.... I'm so confused

Because © Scion AV is a cool new label designed to bring Scion Culture™ to young, hip adults on the up and up. Toyota ® is devoted to the discovery, nurture, funding and distribution of compelling music and arts programming!

big ander

well yeah, all of it is censored which is the WORST

some of the censors are kinda hilarious though, like on grown Up and 56k. On 56k with "your kids they be acting all [MARIO NOISE]ty, white kids be like 'it's a free country'" always cracks me up

Apparently they did an Omar S ep at some point? dope I mean uh hip and compelling.

injurai

Banned
the real question is would anyone like his music if his latchkey ass wasn't being given an ungodly allowance to pay for his producers

Courage

Brehs, dat new Statik Selektah
post-22656-0-73511700-1345565741.gif
some of the best throwback sounds I've listened to

PlayDat

Strongly agree with Des's comments on Lese Majesty, although I think I like the album a little more than you do.

I've listened to the album 12 times now and I still find myself zoning out a lot. Sometimes I have the urge to turn up the volume because the music can't hold my focus. Ish's voice just isn't used as well as it has been in the past. I didn't even pick up on the sci-fi story it tells until reading up on it.

Went back to Black Up tonight. Songwriting was much better there. I also greatly prefer the harder, more terrestrial sounding beats than the higher plane stuff on LM.

Biz is right about Solemn Swears -> Harem Aria. Excellent 4 minutes of music there. On the whole I feel like the transitions on LM are way less gradual. This isn't really a knock just a perceived difference in style. I wouldn't call the changes here abrupt they just feel... swift in a way that I don't sense on Black Up.

CRS

if yung lean was american and had no accent do you think anyone would like him

Yeah. yung lean and maybe sherman are the only ones I can put a face to their name. Everyone else I have no idea since they keep it pretty fucking low key.

Or maybe I'm not following the right twitter accounts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would still be pretty damn bad lol. The accent just makes it more funny. Yung Lean ain't shit we needa get some Bangs up in here!

I'm a bangs stan, hell I love all those Sudanese struggle rappers in that clique

But yung lean is actually talented. Good hook game and he has a great ear for beats, he has good friends

T Dollarz

Pretty interesting, I just listened to Lese Majesty again last night and didn't find myself zoning out or becoming bored, nothing like that. I love when it goes into EATING #CAKE lol

Courage

I think what Fantano said in his review has some validity; some of the songs feel way too short and don't build up to the gradual change like some of the songs in Black Up do. I still think the album is great though, and even think the songwriting is just as good.

HiResDes

Well said PlayDat, I don't want anyone to think I hate it it's just not what I had hoped for really. There's this disconnect for me between Ishmael's lyrics, which seem quite momentous on paper and the lack of feeling they evoke when he's rapping on many of the songs. I want to take back what I said about jibberish. I don't think a rapper or singer needs to clearly enunciate everything to be effective. I don't understand everything MC Ride is saying on Money Store or Ex Military, but his voice and raw emotion gives me enough context that when I read the lyrics I feel as though I could have guessed what they were all along. I never fully hear or understand what Elizabeth Frazier is saying and she still remains one of my most favorite vocalists because of her emotion and evocation. Ishmael's, rapping on Lese Majesty reminds me of MC Ride on Government Plates, as they also buried his vocals further down in the mix, which was quite interesting compositionally, but the album felt a bit lethargic in comparison to their more immediate efforts.

RTJ2 is free? I thought the first one did pretty well thanks to some dope artwork, pretty surprised they aren't going the same route.

There has to be some type of limited vinyl or CD release, come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom