• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

drunk and hot girls sometimes really sucks and sometimes its kind of okay. It depends on how high you are I guess

HiResDes

Drunk & Hot Girls is like a current young thug/future style trap song in disguise. If Kanye had auto tuned his voice and went for a trunk knocker sound it would be a lot like the more sinister late night bangers we have now.

Inserting lots of ifs shit sounds like a Pharrel b-side.

Tokubetsu

Inserting lots of ifs shit sounds like a Pharrel b-side.

iQOuR9IHA16YF.gif

HiResDes

Killer Mike interview was better than I anticipated, good on him. I would have played it a bit safer to if I had a fine young lady next to me the whole time as well. Can't be out there looking too reckless or aggressive. She's beautiful.

Esch

Banned
I used to be a heavy Kanye stan, and that's the song that really saved my life. Graduation was the first time I had to contemplate the idea of Kanye making bad songs. It shook me to my very foundations. Suddenly I felt like how Malcolm X must have felt when he learned the Honorable Elijah Mohammad was dicking down underage redbones. I saw the man behind the curtain and ever since then my relationship with Kanye hasn't been the same (pause).
j1ovJf4Hdo91S.png

HiResDes

Can we talk about Lese Majesty for a second? Last time I checked, everybody was feeling this as like top five of the year? As much as Blackup?

Can we talk about Lese Majesty for a second? Last time I checked, everybody was feeling this as like top five of the year? As much as Blackup?

#1 regardless of genre for me right now, and I think it has been an amazing year for music. Black Up was a different level though and over time Lese Majesty hasn't gotten there with me. But it hasn't been very long yet and it feels like a record that will grow even better with time.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, still album of the year for me. I'm having trouble articulating exactly how i feel about it, which means it probably has 5-10 more listens in the near future and more beyond that.

Better than Black Up.

The first time Black Up clicked with me I felt like I was in a world where the laws of physics stopped working and dudes could do anything they wanted. It was like the ultimate expression of freedom and creativity and possibility in record form. Really inspired me and pushed me in new directions. Pulled me out of a more pessimistic state of mind at the time. It's unfair for Lese Majesty to have to live up to that on a personal level so I'm not sure if it'll ever pass Black Up for me. But I do love it, even if I feel like Esch in that I don't know exactly what I want to say about it yet.

T Dollarz

I need to give it a few more listens to be sure, but my gut tells me Lese Majesty is a stronger final product than Black Up. Still, not top 5 for the year but def top 10.

HiResDes

Yeah definitely not there with ya'll. It just isn't captivating at all to me. It doesn't have the catchy hooks or nearly enough bangers as Blackup or even Of Light for me. Like where's the bass? Also the songs in which Ishmael's voice is too drowned out are sleep inducing for me. Every time I listen to the album in full there are sections where I suddenly feel drowsy and it comes total background music, which is sad when I'm trying to listen intently with my headphones at a decent volume. The production reminds me of the low-fi experimental pop of someone like Nima or Atlas Sounds, but Ishmael's voice just is put to such poor use at times for me. There are a few songs that I really like, namely Motion Sickness and They Come in Gold, which are two of the least lethargic sounding of the bunch. I appreciate its sparseness, and it's experimental nature, but for me silence is only golden when it's coupled with something dynamic. The experiments on Lese Majesty sound like were conducted as an effort to cure sleep apnea.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
tried listening to it a while ago and dozed off a few times. guess I need to give it another shot.

Esch

Banned
Yeah definitely not there with ya'll. It just isn't captivating at all to me. It doesn't have the catchy hooks or nearly enough bangers as Blackup or even Of Light for me. Like where's the bass? Also the songs in which Ishmael's voice is too drowned out are sleep inducing for me. Every time I listen to the album in full there are sections where I suddenly feel drowsy and it comes total background music, which is sad when I'm trying to listen intently with my headphones at a decent volume. The production reminds me of the low-fi experimental pop of someone like Nima or Atlas Sounds, but Ishmael's voice just is put to such poor use at times for me. There are a few songs that I really like, namely Motion Sickness and They Come in Gold, which are two of the least lethargic sounding of the bunch. I appreciate its sparseness, and it's experimental nature, but for me silence is only golden when it's coupled with something dynamic. The experiments on Lese Majesty sound like were conducted as an effort to cure sleep apnea.

Bullshit.

This, and your comments on Pinata got me extra full of sodium chloride, breh. Fuck a banger, fuck a hook. This is like, the next step of ambient rap. This is like Phaedra made by a bunch of black dudes reading 5%er forums. Not everything needs to be drenched in bombast or be a wall of sound to be incredible. These dudes outchea coming at you with some how-does-this-even-exist Robert Fripp and Eno rap and you outchea asking for some Rustie. Stop it slime.

HiResDes

fuck hooks and fuck bangers. give me a good album.

The songwriting is a step back too....There's nothing that captures the emotional triumph of Are you... Can you... Were you?

I don't even know what Ishmael is saying half the time on Lese Majesty. It's very monotonous and makes even some good lines sound inconsequential.

thabiz

The songwriting is a step back too....There's nothing that captures the emotional triumph of Are you... Can you... Were you?

solemn swears melding into harem aria, is better than anything on blackup. this truely is some next level shit. nobody is doing this. its the pink floyd of rap.

HiResDes

I hate Pink Floyd. As important as the backing music is in hip-hop, the verbal aspect of it should not be totally neglected, unless of course you're making instrumental music.

Tokubetsu

Bullshit.

This, and your comments on Pinata got me extra full of sodium chloride, breh. Fuck a banger, fuck a hook. This is like, the next step of ambient rap. This is like Phaedra made by a bunch of black dudes reading 5%er forums. Not everything needs to be drenched in bombast or be a wall of sound to be incredible. These dudes outchea coming at you with some how-does-this-even-exist Robert Fripp and Eno rap and you outchea asking for some Rustie. Stop it slime.

It's intelligent spaceship trunk music. I love the album.

naw

tried listening to it a while ago and dozed off a few times. guess I need to give it another shot.
lol don't try to force yourself to like the album. Shabazz isn't that nice. People here make it seem like they're some next level shit but they really aren't.

Esch

Banned
I'd liken it more to something more like a trappier Biosphere or Solar Fields rather than Pink Floyd but I can see some of the parallels drawn with some of the spacier artist of around that time period like a Van Der Graaf Generator. That's why I made the Fripp/Eno comparison. Simply put Lese Majesty is a journey straight up. It builds on a theme/motif and carries it like the best of ambient or maybe even romantic music with some sparse interludes to keep things interesting. Shit is amazing. When I think of rap, I don't really think of the future of mankind or space, but LM evokes feelings of things to come like maybe no other album I've heard before. Yet on some level the way it comes together is almost a throwback. it's low on sensationalism, concise.

Tokubetsu

I'd liken it more to something more like a trappier Biosphere or Solar Fields rather than Pink Floyd but I can see some of the parallels drawn with some of the spacier artist of around that time period like a Van Der Graaf Generator. That's why I made the Fripp/Eno comparison. Simply put Lese Majesty is a journey straight up. It builds on a theme/motif and carries it like the best of ambient or maybe even romantic music with some sparse interludes to keep things interesting. Shit is amazing. When I think of rap, I don't really think of the future of mankind or space, but LM evokes feelings of things to come like maybe no other album I've heard before. Yet on some level the way it comes together is almost a throwback. it's low on sensationalism, concise.

ibehHBGm8WDK5D.gif

cdyhybrid

This post is gonna end up making me check out this album.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
lol don't try to force yourself to like the album. Shabazz isn't that nice. People here make it seem like they're some next level shit but they really aren't.

just want to give it a proper listen before commenting on it

Esch

Banned
I better go on some 2001 space odyssey trip when I listen to this album.

That depends on you, I think. Can you rock with some understated shit? Do you have patience or an attention span? Or are you the kind of person that needs a lot of noise and brouhaha going on to keep yourself from mentally fidgeting (kanyetothe disease)? Shit is like a flower in bloom. It's a gradual change through the seasons, bregh.

I hate Pink Floyd. As important as the backing music is in hip-hop, the verbal aspect of it should not be totally neglected, unless of course you're making instrumental music.

See, I don't really agree with this. Lese Majesty feels like they approached lyrics as more of a grounding vehicle for listener's comfort. Like a reassuring base that keeps the record from pushing too far. I think that's dope. Ultimately vocals and lyrics are good, to me, if they add something material to the record. And in this case they did. It just wasn't through your typical rap means.

#EATCAKE

HiResDes

See, I don't really agree with this. Lese Majesty feels like they approached lyrics as more of a grounding vehicle for listener's comfort. Like a reassuring base that keeps the record from pushing too far. I think that's dope. Ultimately vocals and lyrics are good, to me, if they add something material to the record. And in this case they did. It just wasn't through your typical rap means.

#EATCAKE

I will concede to being wrong, but it's hard to vocalize what I don't like about it. I've given the album about five complete listens, that's more than I give most modern rap albums that I don't entirely love. At times I wasn't really enthralled by the backing music either. But I also don't think Russian Roulette is the greatest album. Maybe I'm just not into strong conceptual rap albums unless they're somewhat blunt and surface-level like XXX and GKMC. Although I loved Jeremiah Jae's Rawhyde more than anyone, but the concept of it was rather accessible. I value immediacy in rap above all else, because when I compare the music of Lese Majesty to my favorite ambient/electronic albums shit doesn't even register.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Killer Mike interview was better than I anticipated, good on him. I would have played it a bit safer to if I had a fine young lady next to me the whole time as well. Can't be out there looking too reckless or aggressive. She's beautiful.
No kidding, that CNN host got me sweatin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom