• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually just saw Gone Girl and it was great. Fincher has a damn great track record with one dud so far.

Benjamin Button

Alotta film buffs I know complain, cause it seems like he's found a really comfortable niche is remaking European films for American Audiences but...I'm not gonna knock it, he delivers some polished enjoyable films.

He's remaking a British show called Utopia for American Audiences and it'll be on HBO...check it out now or wait for the remake, but it's a good show. Weird, but good.

DominoKid

I gotta check out more Fincher flicks. Ive only seen Gone Girl, Panic Room and Fight Club. The latter 2 I was probably still in middle school for.

Fincher started House of Cards too so Ill count that.

HiResDes

Fincher isn't all that at all. Social Network has aged like ass, the second half of Gone Girl is cheesy and ridiculous, Benjamin Button is some cheesy oscar bait, Alien 3 is garbage....Now Seven and Zodiac were both pretty good. And I really enjoyed Fight Club, although it's become a sort of bro-movie nowadays.

injurai

Banned
I think Fincher is overrated (only a tad though). He's still one of the better directors though. I much prefer Boyle or Aronofsky who are in a similar class I feel.

I gotta check out more Fincher flicks. Ive only seen Gone Girl, Panic Room and Fight Club. The latter 2 I was probably still in middle school for.

aye aye wuuut. social network and seven right now brah

social network aged? lmao. that pacing is butter-smooth.

effzee

Fincher isn't all that at all. Social Network has aged like ass, the second half of Gone Girl is cheesy and ridiculous, Benjamin Button is some cheesy oscar bait, Alien 3 is garbage....Now Seven and Zodiac were both pretty good. And I really enjoyed Fight Club, although it's become a sort of bro-movie nowadays.

Haven't seen Social Network, but having read GoneGirl, the movie is pretty much the same as the book with only minor changes.

If you find the 2nd half cheesy, its only cause of the source material. Fincher handled it as best as he could.

Only complaint I really had was
in the book Amy comes across as the greatest girl you could imagine. the whole first half of the book sets that up greatly. they tried in the movie but whether it was her voice, look, or actin, Rosemund Pike always looked a little crazy from the start. Or maybe it was cause I knew what was coming.

DominoKid

aye aye wuuut. social network and seven right now brah

social network aged? lmao. that pacing is butter-smooth.

heh ive had the Social Network dvd for years. just never watched it. i'll check it out tonight.

Haven't seen Social Network, but having read GoneGirl, the movie is pretty much the same as the book with only minor changes.

If you find the 2nd half cheesy, its only cause of the source material. Fincher handled it as best as he could.

Only complaint I really had was
in the book Amy comes across as the greatest girl you could imagine. the whole first half of the book sets that up greatly. they tried in the movie but whether it was her voice, look, or actin, Rosemund Pike always looked a little crazy from the start. Or maybe it was cause I knew what was coming.

never read the book so i had no idea what was coming. but i thought she looked nutty from the jump.

Zodiac, Social Network, and Seven are all classics

Gone Girl is strong, its in-between his great ones and the decent/troubled ones. Its Apollo Kids sitting between the Ironman/Supreme/Fishscales and the Bulletproof Wallets/Ghostdinis

effzee

heh ive had the Social Network dvd for years. just never watched it. i'll check it out tonight.

never read the book so i had no idea what was coming. but i thought she looked nutty from the jump.

Can only fit so much in the movie. The book goes to great lengths to paint her as the perfect girl. Even when they move to Missouri her diary entries talk about taking care of her ailing dying mother in law while Nick is out late. They used the diary entries as flashback scenes relatively well but to me she never came across as sweet, wholesome, loving wife. Like I said it might be because I only knew the twist having read the book.

She did an amazing job acting as a psycho. Blurred Lines girl tits were ace too!

IrishNinja

Fincher did Se7en & Fight Club doe

Fight Club

2JmvyVn.jpg

...ahahaha jesus christ

i look back on tracks with ye features and smile though

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

You haven't seen Seven? What.

Holy shit go watch that right NOW.

Vorheez

Gone Girl was soooo good, I remember being dragged to the theatre to see it and ended up being very surprised. One of my favorite in recent memory.

What's some of your guys favorite movies? American History X for me

IrishNinja

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Die Hard
36 Chambers of Shaolin
Rio Bravo
Ghostbusters
Braveheart
5 Deadly Venoms
Raging Bull
Carlito's Way << not even a top 10 gangster flick for most (and i get why), but fuck i love it all the same
Waking Life << philosophy grad shit, good when you're high/introspective

*edit prolly Fight Club too but fuck, Patrice O'Neal's deconstruction of that shit is hilarious/on point

injurai

Banned
Gone Girl was soooo good, I remember being dragged to the theatre to see it and ended up being very surprised. One of my favorite in recent memory.

Children of Men
Oldboy
Big Fish
Pi
There Will Be Blood
Pulp Fiction

those loosely make up my top, exhaustive lists bore me

Yo Fincher is a fuckin monster director. All of his shit is either amazing or super fucking solid. Few directors have that kind of track record. And no Alien 3 does not count. It's as much a Fincher film as Resurrection is a Whedon one.

You haven't seen Seven? What.

Holy shit go watch that right NOW.

I got spoiled on Seven,does it still hold up?
all i know is kevin spacey is the bad guy
other than that idk anything about the movie

edit:ahh ok i thought it was a twist. I'll probably check it out then

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PM is my least favorite Beatle (Ringo doesn't count), def not hyped about anything he's involved w especially in the year 2015. New Kanye is def shaping up to be not my thing at all.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think I already posted this sentiment but yeah it's always disappointing when an artist gets over their existential angst (if only temporarily). Suffering is at the root of all great art.

I think Fincher is overrated (only a tad though). He's still one of the better directors though. I much prefer Boyle or Aronofsky who are in a similar class I feel.

Boyle's best movie happened in '96, and while he's done some good stuff since then, he often gets in his own way.

I personally don't think he's on Fincher's level.

Cheddahz

Banned
Kanye?

PD?

Cheddahz?

Paul McCartney?

Blasian Persuasion?

Personally, I vote for Cheddahz. The dude owns a cat and cat owners are weirdos
and the dude is a stereotypical cac too, which makes his case for being a cornball even stronger

big ander

jeeze this Ye/ri song is bad.

Irish is the only one with a favorite movie from before 1994 so far?

favorites I can think of: The Night of the Hunter, Three Colors: Red, Days of Heaven, 2001, Nashville, Double Indemnity, Cat People, Halloween, Close-up, Sunrise
Fuck I miss patrice... really the only celebrity death that stuck with me

I'm watching attack the block right now, it's alright so far
that's a great movie, deserves to not be browsed thru
You're loss

eh didn't criticker kinda die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom