• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly brehs, I liked Fistful more than GBU, shot for shot remake of Yojimbo notwithstanding

but freal you can't go wrong with spaghetti westerns either way so :yeshrug

Vorheez

that's a great movie, deserves to not be browsed thru
It was one post homie, took like 2 minutes haha

It was great though, I just finished it. I feel like Boyega was a good pick for star wars. He's great at being able to convey emotion without having to say much.

best movie I watched over the past 6 months was Eastern Promises

Yo EP is so fucking good. hot dayum.

As if the pacing can save such a pedestrian plot. If you wanna see my favorite movies add me on Criticker.

pedestrian..... lol hm

The Good the Bad and The Ugly has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EujDcc2xEUI

in the span of like 10 minutes. One of which happens during the most iconic Mexican standoff ever. It's the best.

gdlk

IrishNinja

Kanye?

PD?

Cheddahz?

Paul McCartney?

Blasian Persuasion?

jesus
we should make this a list and say keep 2 in 2015, see where the chips fall

Stuff like Metropolis, Maltese Falcon, The Great Escape, Good the Bad and The Ugly would be on mine. I'm no connoisseur tho.

#dustheadz

goddamn
my dude's gotta be a connoisseur of all things, i see

honestly brehs, I liked Fistful more than GBU, shot for shot remake of Yojimbo notwithstanding

ehhh FOH
on the other hand, you should prolly watch Last Man Standing

And speaking of movies, hip-hop fans owe it to themselves to watch Sweet Smell of Success and Glengarry Glen Ross. The sheer volume of incredible, quotable verbal heat is on the level of whatever your favorite diss track is x1,000,000.

Vorheez

I need some wisdom.

How often do you guys drink? I've never been a big drinker. I have maybe been drunk 20 times in my life. But, as of recently, my drinking has increased drastically. I've been stressed out because of work, school, and life in general so I've been having a couple drinks in the evening to calm my nerves. It helps tremendously. For example, just now while I was watching Attack the Block, I was restless. I could not focus on the movie because my mind was going a million miles an hour. So, I made a drink and instantly started to relax as a result. I don't drink a lot, never enough to get drunk, but enough to have a slight buzz by the end of the night. Helps me sleep too.

This worries me because, due to my inexperience, I have no idea when it's too much. Alcoholism runs in my family and I'm worried that this new discovery of mine could lead me down a dark path. I've tried to justify it to myself with lines of thought such as, "I need caffeine every morning to start my day, what's wrong with having some alcohol to end it?". Do you guys have any tips to pass on concerning this? Perhaps personal experience, stories, or tricks you've used to self monitor/regulate? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks fam.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I need some wisdom.

How often do you guys drink? I've never been a big drinker. I have maybe been drunk 20 times in my life. But, as of recently, my drinking has increased drastically. I've been stressed out because of work, school, and life in general so I've been having a couple drinks in the evening to calm my nerves. It helps tremendously. For example, just now while I was watching Attack the Block, I was restless. I could not focus on the movie because my mind was going a million miles an hour. So, I made a drink and instantly started to relax as a result. I don't drink a lot, never enough to get drunk, but enough to have a slight buzz by the end of the night. Helps me sleep too.

This worries me because, due to my inexperience, I have no idea when it's too much. Alcoholism runs in my family and I'm worried that this new discovery of mine could lead me down a dark path. I've tried to justify it to myself with lines of thought such as, "I need caffeine every morning to start my day, what's wrong with having some alcohol to end it?". Do you guys have any tips to pass on concerning this? Perhaps personal experience, stories, or tricks you've used to self monitor/regulate? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks fam.

Hm. So, there are a couple of things. One, if you know your limits and aren't getting drunk every night, I don't see an issue with a drink a night. A metric fuckton of cultures are cool with having a beer or two or a couple glasses of wine a day.

And alcohol is popular because it gives you the effect you describe. It calms people down, it lowers inhibitions, etc. That you seek out alcohol for that reason isn't worrisome by itself. That's why people drink alcohol (well, that and taste, but that's another matter).

But, if it gets to the point where you NEED to have a drink to sleep, or NEED to have a drink to calm down every day, that is the beginning stages of alcoholism. A great simple test for this is to go a week without any alcohol. Just a week. Alcoholics, even newer ones, won't be able to last 7 days without making some excuse why they can have "just one." Rationalization is a bitch for addicts.

If you can go the 7 days and it's not like, 7 days of pure agony where you're just counting down the days until you can get liquored up, then I think you're probably fine. If you can't make it or the thoughts of alcohol preoccupy your thoughts, then you may have the beginning stages of a real problem and should probably seek help before it fucks up your life.

Know your limits and know that there isn't anything badass about turning into a piece of shit alcoholic fuck.

Source: lol

Trey

I drink occasionally just because. It holds no sway over my life. If you require it to function normally, you're in trouble. One restless night, okay. A couple? All right. But if you need to throw back a few every night just to get some sleep, it's more than likely a problem.

If you have to think about it, you should probably cut back. But by the sounds of it you seem to understand your consumption. You have to be wary about it overtaking you, however. Alcoholism is no joke whatsoever.

As far as "tips": if I feel the alcohol at all - even a buzz - I don't drive. If I can't do arithmetic and/or walk straight, I do nothing but drink water until the stupor passes. You start to drink regularly, you'll know what it takes to get you to a certain point.

DominoKid

I need some wisdom.

Could you force yourself through those moments where you wound normally lean on alcohol as a crutch?

If not then you might need to check yourself. Regardless I dont think its anything to worry about unless it starts to take priority over other shit.

A drink or 2 in the evening is nothing as long as you know you could cut yourself off at any moment.

The alcoholism & addiction in my family history has never worried me but ive always been good on self-control.

And speaking of movies, hip-hop fans owe it to themselves to watch Sweet Smell of Success and Glengarry Glen Ross. The sheer volume of incredible, quotable verbal heat is on the level of whatever your favorite diss track is x1,000,000.

The amount of shit people sling at kevin spacey alone in glengarry is enough to fill like 10 battle rap events lol

Vorheez

And alcohol is popular because it gives you the effect you describe. It calms people down, it lowers inhibitions, etc. That you seek out alcohol for that reason isn't worrisome by itself. That's why people drink alcohol (well, that and taste, but that's another matter).

But, if it gets to the point where you NEED to have a drink to sleep, or NEED to have a drink to calm down every day, that is the beginning stages of alcoholism. A great simple test for this is to go a week without any alcohol. Just a week. Alcoholics, even newer ones, won't be able to last 7 days without making some excuse why they can have "just one." Rationalization is a bitch for addicts.
Yeah, I drink because I want to, not because I need to. My concern is it becoming a "need" faster than I realize. I really like the idea of the 7 day test though. I will use that periodically to assess where I'm at.

I drink occasionally just because. It holds no sway over my life. If you require it to function normally, you're in trouble. One restless night, okay. A couple? All right. But if you need to throw back a few every night just to get some sleep, it's more than likely a problem.

If you have to think about it, you should probably cut back. But by the sounds of it you seem to understand your consumption. You have to be wary about it overtaking you, however. Alcoholism is no joke whatsoever.
I think the only reason I'm thinking about it is because I went from drinking once every couple weeks to 3-4 days a week. I'm more curious as to what could be causing it internally, but don't want to lose track of my drinking while figuring it out.

Could you force yourself through those moments where you wound normally lean on alcohol as a crutch?

A drink or 2 in the evening is nothing as long as you know you could cut yourself off at any moment.
This makes me feel better. I could definitely force myself through those situations. I can also cut myself off at any time.

Also, they're not beers, I usually have two crown and ginger. I don't know if that makes any difference. Thanks for taking the time to respond guys. You dropped some good knowledge on me that I can use, I appreciate it.

IrishNinja

vorhees lemme imbue you with a time-honored irish creed on knowing the darker side of alcholoism: fuck bitches, get money

Nope

Truly enjoying the joys of garbage tv and movies. To be honest I don't really like movies that much especially.

list straight classics and reject a deposit bout having finer taste in films brehs

for recent stuff i got lord of the rings, mulholland drive, heat and thin red line

and for older films it's once upon a time in the west, godfather, chinatown, on the waterfront and point blank.

injurai

Banned
I'm taking a break in drinking. Since the holidays I've been having a couple beers a night (a month straight). I had previously only had a drink or two a week. Now I'm back into the school year, shit's expensive. Need to make sure I'm not developing any isms.

Detox

Can't make a list of movies but Grave of the Fireflies got me real good. I was a similar age to the protagonist and my younger brother was a similar age to his sister. It fucked with my emotions heavy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't really mind the new Rhi/Ye song but with Ibn saying that Paul McCartney is co-exec-producing the entire album, there being a pretty distinct and cheesy theme between these two records, Ye saying this album will be his Born in the USA, and Paul consistently being the weak link there.. yeah I don't have much hope for this Ye album at this moment. Pretty disappointing, if the only thing they're taking from Yeezus is some minimalist production and none of the swag or presence.. IDK.

Not ready to trust Ibn quite yet, he's close to Ye but leaking something from that camp is a red flag within itself, not to mention he said some pretty concrete statements and unless the album is done Ye doesn't really roll like that. I don't put it past them to have the record on both their albums, but this ain't no Slow Jamz.

Courage

I don't really mind the new Rhi/Ye song but with Ibn saying that Paul McCartney is co-exec-producing the entire album, there being a pretty distinct and cheesy theme between these two records, Ye saying this album will be his Born in the USA, and Paul consistently being the weak link there.. yeah I don't have much hope for this Ye album at this moment. Pretty disappointing, if the only thing they're taking from Yeezus is some minimalist production and none of the swag or presence.. IDK.

Not ready to trust Ibn quite yet, he's close to Ye but leaking something from that camp is a red flag within itself, not to mention he said some pretty concrete statements and unless the album is done Ye doesn't really roll like that. I don't put it past them to have the record on both their albums, but this ain't no Slow Jamz.

Pretty much agree with you. Hopefully "coproducing" also means pitching some ideas while he still does his own thing, cause having an album full of Only Ones and 4-5 Seconds will piss me off.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
you know things are shaky when Awesome is shaping up to be one of the better songs on the album
6RwM21a.png

Pretty much agree with you. Hopefully "coproducing" also means pitching some ideas while he still does his own thing, cause having an album full of Only Ones and 4-5 Seconds will piss me off.

My opinions exactly I like Only One though but that'd be disappointing if the whole album was in that vein.

The club event was something else. I already knew I wasn't going to feel the majority of the music they put on, but I went to support my boy and to get out the fucking house. My boy did throw on This Is How We Do It and Pony for me though and I killed that Pony. Some chicks were hitting them twerks hard. I was hoping I could get a little honeydip, but none of them were trying to fuck with me like usual even with the couple of grinds I got. I really shouldn't even be bothering at this point right now anyway. Some girl had slipped on some spilled alcohol and the floor and two girls were thrown out for fighting.and thankfully that was the most of the conflict.

My favorite movies in no order outside of the first 2-3...

The Godfather I & II, To Kill A Mockingbird, Goodfellas, Imitation of Life (1959 remake), Rear Window, Brazil, Once Upon A Time In The West, The Big Lebowski.

The Godfather I & II, To Kill A Mockingbird, Goodfellas, Imitation of Life (1959 remake), Rear Window, Brazil, Once Upon A Time In The West, The Big Lebowski.

Ten favorite movies? OK.

Taxi Driver, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Good The Bad & The Ugly, Blade Runner(final cut), Evil Dead, Chinatown, Apocalypse Now, Vertigo, Heat, Dazed & Confused

Unranked, and aside from the first three the list always changes. Like, an hourly basis changes.

major points for TKAM
solid list overall

also man that Wayne verse on Amazing Amy ft. Migos that just dropped is so fucking trash
Hype levels for CV now at negative 9001

Oh, we doin the movie thing?

No order:
Poetic Justice
Batman Begins
Iron Man
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Iron Giant
Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
All-Star Superman
Kill Bill vol.1 & 2
Class Act
Forrest Gump
Coffy
Set It Off

There's also a 1959 movie I saw a while ago that had a black mother with a daughter that looked completely white and a white mother who was a famous singer and had a daughter who hated her. I wish I knew the name of it. I want to see it again so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom