• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! New to this thread but super excited to subscribe. I've been listening to Shabazz for a year or so now, they've gotten me into experimental hip hop. Since then I've been listening to a lot of Run the Jewels, Death Grips, and Badbadnotgood (i know, instrumental). I'm checking out the winners of 2014 thread, but are there any other artists I should check out similar to those three I mentions? (Shabazz, RtJ, Death)

gladbron.png

:D

IrishNinja

Hey guys! New to this thread but super excited to subscribe. I've been listening to Shabazz for a year or so now, they've gotten me into experimental hip hop. Since then I've been listening to a lot of Run the Jewels, Death Grips, and Badbadnotgood (i know, instrumental). I'm checking out the winners of 2014 thread, but are there any other artists I should check out similar to those three I mentions? (Shabazz, RtJ, Death)

welcome man - as a fellow BBNG fan, get hyped for this project

IrishNinja

nice - i jumped on RTJ2 vinyl but missed the awesome FUCKBOYS BEWARE poster, still salty. copped 36 Seasons and wish i had the $ for this one too, it's shaping up nicely & i love both acts

Mustard was producer of the year. Mike will couldn't get all the D grade rappers out of his studio long enough to make even a halfway decent beat. Mustard created a sound that was fucking everywhere last year. He racked up so many hits I lost count. Doesn't matter if you hate his sound, to deny that he was producer of the year is delusional thinking on the same level as "that Kanye Kardashian Paul McCartney track was fire!".

Idk. That doesn't really equate to producer of the year for me. Most influential and successful yeah but I was under the impression that these awards were based on what people thought was actually good and that they enjoyed, not what was hot and everywhere last year. *shrug*

welcome man - as a fellow BBNG fan, get hyped for this project

Fuck man Sour Soul is guna be so fucking good I can FEEL it mane.

nice - i jumped on RTJ2 vinyl but missed the awesome FUCKBOYS BEWARE poster, still salty. copped 36 Seasons and wish i had the $ for this one too, it's shaping up nicely & i love both acts

They have some relatively cheap RtJ I records on ebay. If i hadnt just moved I'd snag one up now. They are my next two albums to pay whatever I need to to secure once I get my refund check in.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Idk. That doesn't really equate to producer of the year for me. Most influential and successful yeah but I was under the impression that these awards were based on what people thought was actually good and that they enjoyed, not what was hot and everywhere last year. *shrug*

Fuck man Sour Soul is guna be so fucking good I can FEEL it mane.

I guess it depends on how you interpret the awards. The top albums part I always took as personal taste but the other categories I always tried to be objective. For instance I would have put young thug as rookie of the year even though I hate 95% of what he does, but there is no denying dude was on about 5 billion different hit songs this year.

I guess it depends on how you interpret the awards. The top albums part I always took as personal taste but the other categories I always tried to be objective. For instance I would have put young thug as rookie of the year even though I hate 95% of what he does, but there is no denying dude was on about 5 billion different hit songs this year.

Yea I can understand that. I just reaaaallllllyyy don't like Mike and Mustard lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He didn't have a good producer tape, hardly anyone even his stans thinks that...Also who gives a damn who's biting him when he's ripping off producers directly himself. What is this style flip Enzo is talking about? It still hasn't happened lol.
Mostly the shit on 10 Summers, Sanctified, etc. but he's certainly not as homogenous as he was in 2013.

Boom and Zay don't really have that many 'hits' tho. I really like both but I don't really consider them that mainstream just cause they make trap shit.

No crossovers unless I'm missing something?
What are Zaytoven's hits this year? First I'm hearing of anyone putting him in that echelon of producers last year.

il9JkQFDgoSjG.GIF

These have to be off of Rodeo, right? At first I thought it was off of a Thug/La Flame project but the art kind of points towards these being La Flame's songs.

I fuck with both of these, except for La Flame's verse on High Fashion.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just know Zay from a shit load of Gucci and Migos tracks. Beast Mode is really nice though.

New T Scott tracks are so good.

CRS

I guess it depends on how you interpret the awards. The top albums part I always took as personal taste but the other categories I always tried to be objective.

That's why I upload the spreadsheet of every album nominated. You can get the Top 15, maybe 20, and that'll include the rest of the albums that should have been top 10 but never did from lack of listeners.

That list has every kind of hip-hop imaginable and it's kind of the reason why I like doing the Award threads. Whenever I'm in the mood for some new music, I just take a look at it and see what catches my eye. If I ever get the time to do it, I would like to edit the spreadsheet and try to add a sub-genre to each album.

What do you listen to outside of hip hop?

CoolOff

clipping.

need this yesterday

so not sure how many are on the east coast right now but that blizzard tho
classes actually got cancelled can't believe it haha

Not feeling the PND one but the Future one is cool.

EDIT actually in the headphones the PND one knock......

funny you say that, I noticed PND has a large difference between speakers and headphones if that makes sense. Like some of his songs are very different when heard through headphones I meant.

injurai

Banned
Mustard was producer of the year. Mike will couldn't get all the D grade rappers out of his studio long enough to make even a halfway decent beat. Mustard created a sound that was fucking everywhere last year. He racked up so many hits I lost count. Doesn't matter if you hate his sound, to deny that he was producer of the year is delusional thinking on the same level as "that Kanye Kardashian Paul McCartney track was fire!".

I think we need two separate categories to stop claims like this.

"Prolific Producer of the Year."

"Technical Producer of the Year."

What were the big songs produced by Mustard last year? I've kinda forgotten. Mike Will seems to have been going strong for ages now

Thought RTJ2 was inferior to RTJ1 personally. Don't really like El-P as an MC. Definitely prefer Oxymoron to most of the albums on that list, even though it wasn't fantastic

edit: I am new to this thread, hallo hiphop fans

thabiz

What were the big songs produced by Mustard last year? I've kinda forgotten. Mike Will seems to have been going strong for ages now

Thought RTJ2 was inferior to RTJ1 personally. Don't really like El-P as an MC. Definitely prefer Oxymoron to most of the albums on that list, even though it wasn't fantastic

smh

Esch

Banned
Dijon McFarlane, professionally known as DJ Mustard, is an American record producer and DJ from Los Angeles, California. He is perhaps best known for being the official DJ of Compton-bred rapper YG, as well as for producing a string of hit singles, such as Tyga's "Rack City", 2 Chainz' "I'm Different", YG's "My Nigga", Kid Ink's "Show Me", Ty Dolla Sign's "Paranoid", Trey Songz' "Na Na" , Tinashe's "2 On", Jeremih's "Don't Tell Em", Teeflii's "24 Hours", T.I.'s "No Mediocre", Fergie's "L.A. Love (La La)", Will.i.am's "Feelin' Myself," Big Sean's "I Don't Fuck With You," Wiz Khalifa's "You and Your Friends,"
etc etc

RBK

Banned
Poor Q doesn't seem to be appreciated in these parts :(

Thought that was yeezy?

They're very samey apart from Sanctified

Oxymoron is a pretty big drop off from his first 2 albums. Still had a ton of solid tracks on it.

He co-produced it, if that counts.

Being the most successful doesn't make you "x of the year." Mustard dominated 2014, especially the summer, but dude is a very weak beat maker who made 10 beats that sound identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom