• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayDat

Funny how esch got everyone riled up over the producer award when he ain't even vote.

bIVA7bF.png

HiResDes

Speaking of experimental rap, I just discovered this guy Ibn Inglor. He released GawdSpeed in 2013. It's interesting to say the least. Production is pretty great so far.

Thanks.
He's from Chicago I believe and has a tape ripping off Yeezus in which he name drops Yeezus

ayee gaf hop knows about stevie crooks?!

that's dope. i've produced for him off his last album "born on olympus". crazy to know how far his music has traveled so far.

PBY

Banned
ayee gaf hop knows about stevie crooks?!

that's dope. i've produced for him off his last album "born on olympus". crazy to know how far his music has traveled so far.

Crooks was poppin like 5 years ago, still puts out jams. I remember playing the fuck out of his Crooklyn song.

Crooks was poppin like 5 years ago, still puts out jams. I remember playing the fuck out of his Crooklyn song.

he's good people. he lives nearby me and we've chilled in the studio a couple times. it's crazy cause he really spits off the top most of the time in the booth. i know it's kind of a "hov" thing to describe, especially for an emcee that sounds like him, but it's still crazy to witness in person. lol

props for digging the music though!

I certainly hope neither of those women get done like Laura Stylez and K Foxx get done, being Ebro's punching bag essentially.

TBH I've never really thought Rikki brought anything interesting to the table from all the Big Boy stuff I've watched. Nessa has her own swag and I feel like can carry her own shit (as she has, for a little while now). Keep Nessa away from Ebro/Rosenberg, thanks.

Because she was there to be Big Boy's punching bag? She's very knowledgeable about hip hop but was rarely allowed to participate in show prep. She has ties to TDE, Cole, and many other rappers yet wasn't allowed to fully interact in interviews, do events, etc. Even had to fight to get Q an interview during album promo lol.

Esch told me to chill on radio talk but...Hot 97 is so desperate and wack. That Nessa video yesterday is such a blatant attempt at getting 100k views/"going viral." This is what happens when a corny old dude (Ebro) is your point man.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Because she was there to be Big Boy's punching bag? She's very knowledgeable about hip hop but was rarely allowed to participate in show prep. She has ties to TDE, Cole, and many other rappers yet wasn't allowed to fully interact in interviews, do events, etc. Even had to fight to get Q an interview during album promo lol.

Esch told me to chill on radio talk but...Hot 97 is so desperate and wack. That Nessa video yesterday is such a blatant attempt at getting 100k views/"going viral." This is what happens when a corny old dude (Ebro) is your point man.
She never really came off as knowledgeable to me, that's the thing, but yeah perhaps it is just her not getting opportunities under Big Boy or being forced to ask those gossip-y questions (syndrome across all radio stations really).

Agree with Hot97 desperation just escalating more and more. It's sad, but it really is getting worse and worse.

FWIW, here's Nessa's first uploaded interview with Ne-Yo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
urban safari is the perfect description of what Noisey's done with their Atlanta and Chiraq series; it's exotic exhibitionism, but, welcome to Vice
I'm.. not sure what the problem is here. Kind of reminds me of how India started throwing shade on Slumdog Millionaire because it portrayed India in a negative light, attempting to save face at problems they've hidden exceptionally well from foreigners.

a3755455704_10.jpg

Yes
Artists: Blu x Cookbook
Release Date: December 22, 2014
Number of Tracks & Runtime: 8 tracks and 27 minutes

West Coat rapper Blu collaborated with producer Cookbook for his original project of last year. The production by Cookbook reminds me a bit of the eighties beats with some rock in it. There are a lot of drums and cymbals in there. It's really solid. Blu maintains his quality flow and can't go in depth in the lyrics because I mostly wasn't listening to them and just vibing off the sounds. Neither of the two featured guests stood out to me though. My prior experience with Blu has been with L'Orange and L.A.U.S.D., but this has been a serviceable intro to his solo projects. 6.5/10

any producers in here know where the "wowowoweeeeeee" sound effect comes from?

you can hear it in childish gambino's "flight of the navigator" and rick ross's "mafia music 3"

hear it below @ :28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzlsAWBYok#t=28
I found a crazy sound with someone going “wowowowowowowwowweeee.” It sounded so strange, so I just had to put it in there.
http://sunsetintherearview.com/ludwig-goransson-talks-because-the-internet/

Guess it's not from a song. Unless he reveals where he got it from...dunno breh.

I'm.. not sure what the problem is here. Kind of reminds me of how India started throwing shade on Slumdog Millionaire because it portrayed India in a negative light, attempting to save face at problems they've hidden exceptionally well from foreigners.
So, I'm not sure if this analogy works because these aren't fictional representations, they're (presumably) real people in their real living spaces. Further, I don't think that Noisey casting a particular scene in a particular light is the problem, I think that this:
but like what did anyone really expect?
is the problem. When a publication goes to an area with the intent of documenting 'others' without elucidating how a culture fits within a larger framework of society it comes off, to me, as irresponsible at best, exploitative at worst. It feels like a reinforcement of preexisting notions instead of documentary work. The most poignant clip from either of those series was at the end of the Young Chop episode when the filmmakers explored segregation, access and violence within Chicago, illustrating their point with the fact that Chop had never been downtown despite living in the city his entire life as well as the FLY showcase. IIRC, that's as far as they got to meaningful social commentary. From what I've seen of the Atlanta series, it touches on the dynamic between drug trafficking, the entertainment industry and the socio-economic climate of the city, but never more than superficially.

Again, it's pretty much Vice's m.o. to showcase taboo and estrangement, and there are moments in Chiraq/Atlanta that have struck chords with me, but those moments happen too sparingly for me to consider the work as anything but shlock.

Anybody cop that new Louis CK special yet? I might be a jobless college student who's dwindling away his remaining cash on craft beer and weed but I really need to peep this

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So, I'm not sure if this analogy works because these aren't fictional representations, they're (presumably) real people in their real living spaces. Further, I don't think that Noisey casting a particular scene in a particular light is the problem, I think that this: is the problem. When a publication goes to an area with the intent of documenting 'others' without elucidating how a culture fits within a larger framework of society it comes off, to me, as irresponsible at best, exploitative at worst. It feels like a reinforcement of preexisting notions instead of documentary work. The most poignant clip from either of those series was at the end of the Young Chop episode when the filmmakers explored segregation, access and violence within Chicago, illustrating their point with the fact that Chop had never been downtown despite living in the city his entire life as well as the FLY showcase. IIRC, that's as far as they got to meaningful social commentary. From what I've seen of the Atlanta series, it touches on the dynamic between drug trafficking, the entertainment industry and the socio-economic climate of the city, but never more than superficially.

Again, it's pretty much Vice's m.o. to showcase taboo and estrangement, and there are moments in Chiraq/Atlanta that have struck chords with me, but those moments happen too sparingly for me to consider the work as anything but shlock.
I think it's a pretty considerable stretch to label something as being exploitative or irresponsible if it's just documenting a scene or culture without an editorial or opinion component necessarily, or the notion that it necessarily has to provide social commentary or some super insightful perspective to be of any worth. For me, having this dude whipping crack in a kitchen and having the balls not to ask for his face blurred or taking a look inside of the Migos fortress kind of accomplishes the latter in a way that doesn't necessarily need any more explanation.

I think it's okay for the viewers to form their own opinions and I don't think the Noisey guys necessarily try to paint a certain picture with the questions they ask either. Each episode dips into a different component of the culture and they present it as it being what it is, which I don't find inherently objectionable. This stuff has it's place.

Speaking of experimental rap, I just discovered this guy Ibn Inglor. He released GawdSpeed in 2013. It's interesting to say the least. Production is pretty great so far.

Thanks.
I figured I was the only one GAF that knew of him. Not the best rapper but his sound is dope. His most recent tape was one of my favorites of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom