• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can't rememeber if this was posted but trailer for The Get Down, a Netflix original series about the 70s in Bronx.
The Get Down will focus on 1970s New York — broken down and beaten up, violent, cash strapped — dying. (Watch the teaser trailer, above.) Consigned to rubble, a rag-tag crew of South Bronx teenagers are nothings and nobodies with no one to shelter them — except each other, armed only with verbal games, improvised dance steps, some magic markers and spray cans. From Bronx tenements, to the SoHo art scene; from CBGBs to Studio 54 and even the glass towers of the just-built World Trade Center, The Get Down is a mythic saga of how New York at the brink of bankruptcy gave birth to hip-hop, punk and disco — told through the lives and music of the South Bronx kids who changed the city, and the world … forever.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
goddamn...yeah, looks like i gotta look local then. my mom has an old-ass one that she's not using/might work, just gotta look into hooking at into my receiver & bribing her for it i guess.

looking at the 33 RPM thread, if i can hook this in okay i shouldn't need an amp or any of that other shit right?

it should already have a built in pre-amp so its just a matter of hooking it up and spinning.

Detox

No trailer for it but David Simon is working on a tv show about segregation in Yonkers in 87. I expect there to be dope hiphop related shit in it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blessings is growing on me. I don't think it's particularly great, but it does have this weird atmosphere, even with those choppy drums and raps.

which one of y'all...

B9HEtPVIcAAWcWl.jpg

No trailer for it but David Simon is working on a tv show about segregation in Yonkers in 87. I expect there to be dope hiphop related shit in it.

Yeah Oscar Isaac is starring in it should be great he's going to be a big star with this X-men Apocalypse and Star Wars The Force Awakens coming out.

injurai

Banned
I couldn't give a shit about X-Men, DoFP was the worst blockbuster I've seen in years.

But Oscar Isaac is totally awesome. Really need to see Ex Machina. SW is going to be huge for him. Super excited.

overcast

Is the limited supply profitable? I feel like they could make so much off a more widely available shoe. Of course part of the popularity is the fact that it is a limited product/Ye's name.

That dude is always talking big about how he wants to make fashion more accessible. I don't really see how he's doing that. As much as I like the concept.

Edit: Now if I misunderstood what he has said in past interviews tell me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
oh i hear they're funky def fresh

also my sources say they built an app just to handle expected demand for limited edition items (lol)

Well my sources say they built an app just to handle expected demand for limited edition items (lol)

Word on the streets are that he made the app just to deal with the limited edition items lol

Yeezy knows his fans
That moment when you beat a joke into the ground that it doesn't even make sense any more.

Is the limited supply profitable? I feel like they could make so much off a more widely available shoe. Of course part of the popularity is the fact that it is a limited product/Ye's name.

That dude is always talking big about how he wants to make fashion more accessible. I don't really see how he's doing that. As much as I like the concept.

Supply constrains = product constrains. That's why rappers are stuck doing capsule collections and shit. Can't do that, can't move production into mass, and also can't control pricing (which he's never had a chance to in the past).

You also have to work prices downwards, that's how it works for most brands who don't have immediate access to mass production.

DominoKid

it's not about profit. it's about hype for the brand. that hype trickles down to folks buying more of the garbage you see in retail stores because the brand status has been raised. plus i'm sure ye/adidas has a retail, mass appeal line in the works as well. they'd be stupid not to.

that was the reason UA was ready to offer Durant stuuuuupid money to sign with them.

overcast

Looking good CRS.
enzo_gt said:
Supply constrains = product constrains. That's why rappers are stuck doing capsule collections and shit. Can't do that, can't move production into mass, and also can't control pricing (which he's never had a chance to in the past).

You also have to work prices downwards, that's how it works for most brands who don't have immediate access to mass production.
You don't think Ye has the ability to control the price to an extent? Or create his own brand with some investment? He seems too concerned with the avant garde aspect of fashion culture. The hype part makes sense for sure. The word spreads and that shit goes viral. Yeezy's were absurd. Heard about them everywhere.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looking good CRS.

You don't think Ye has the ability to control the price to an extent? Or create his own brand with some investment? He seems too concerned with the avant garde aspect of fashion culture. The hype part makes sense for sure. The word spreads and that shit goes viral. Yeezy's were absurd. Heard about them everywhere.
He spent like, a year and a half ranting about Nike not letting him do this shit so.. no. He wasn't even able to for the APC collections (the "Hip hop tee" and stuff).

The problem with Kanye is that he wants to maintain the brand value while moving the price downwards, but he feels he needs to establish himself at the top for the respect, the access to materials/relationships that will get him those materials and to break black/rapper stigmas. That's why he doesn't throw up a Redbubble.

overcast

I understand, and respect his vision. I hope he can do that, but I'm not sure I see those guys allowing that to happen. The fashion industry surely runs like an oligarchy and won't allow a rapper to run a high/accessible fashion joint.

I think he should have done a collab with H&M (despite the shit quality), but maybe that would have damaged his brand in the eyes of those on top. Making it tougher for him to achieve his goal.

Courage

Adidas seems like it's giving Kanye the freedom he needs (till now), which is why I don't see him that frustrated anymore. I'm sure he'll succeed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I understand, and respect his vision. I hope he can do that, but I'm not sure I see those guys allowing that to happen. The fashion industry surely runs like an oligarchy and won't allow a rapper to run a high/accessible fashion joint.

I think he should have done a collab with H&M (despite the shit quality), but maybe that would have damaged his brand in the eyes of those on top. Making it tougher for him to achieve his goal.
Adidas is essentially the same thing, except they have a greater foothold in urban culture.

Kanye's fashion goals are just way too idealistic TBH, and besides the racial barrier which I'm cynical about ever being broken, I don't think he's aware that somewhere down the line he will have to make a compromise to get it from $100 to $90 that involves not using unobtanium, and at some point either compromising brand value or pricing. You either turn into Rocawear or stay boutique, and he wants both.

But really, the Nah Right article put it best:
But you have to imagine that after all of that campaigning he did to make this deal happen, he’s gonna bring his a-game. If not, I’m sure the internet will let him know.

mooooose

H&M isn't Ralph though. Seriously, it's obvious Ye wants a Ralph Lauren esque grasp in fashion, something that blurs the lines between high fashion but still affordable if necessary. I respect that.

Courage

Enzo has a point, how does one maintain the perception of 'high fashion' at an affordable pricepoint? Even something like the iPhone, which is still considered a status symbol although owned by everyone, is incredibly expensive compared to everything else in its market. I feel pricing and 'prestige' goes hand in hand.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The fashion industry will never allow Kanye into their game. They've locked the gates and stuck the key up one of their asses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom