• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quesa

Finally caught up on Banco. It's good but it's no RTJ. Maybe that's primacy speaking. Still need to listen to Pinata though.

Fjordson

Far behind here as usual, but A Better Tomorrow....trying to convince myself I love this. It's the Wu!

But I can't. Some nice verses, but I truly can't stand RZA's sound these days. Good god.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Far behind here as usual, but A Better Tomorrow....trying to convince myself I love this. It's the Wu!

But I can't. Some nice verses, but I truly can't stand RZA's sound these days. Good god.
It's not the wu, just a hollow husk you look at a bit angrily and with some contempt.

He produced Liquid Swords tho

Liquid Swords

CHAPPELLE_02_0209_JURY_640x360.jpg

that's like a lifetime pass for cheesy kung-fu movies and struggle beats

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That shit got revoked the moment The Video dropped...

That was beyond struggle. That was famine.

most people just don't give much of a shit.

they wanna get through their 9-5, stack paper, and don't care whether they're ignorant or not. they don't care about history, the future, our society, or even other people at all really. they live in a microcosm of me me me, and that's whatever.

it makes more sense when you envision the worldview most of the urban radio consumer base like our breh cacophony.

iJZErHpqVgBPv.gif

This is true, but on the flip side I'm also tired of mothafuckas complaining on Twitter when black people keep using social media to promote their work/projects/etc. "Not today of all days". Nigga, if I put my life on pause every time a white cop shot a black person in this country, nothing would ever get done. I don't know what kind of bills you got, but mine are due.

I made a post way back when Makonnen first popped off about how producers in truly run Atlanta nowadays and how much they work with different artist small or big and it actually brings out variety in their music. Like some of the beats I've heard Sonny Digital give away I never in my life heard Gucci or future go over.....(haven't read the article but that's what I am assuming this is somewhat about)

On another note wow I am actually feeling J Cole's album.... This is easily his best major label album.. still a few flaws here and there but it's that much of a surprise right now that I don't care much.

Esch

Banned
Brehs, I finally decided to ruffle through some of Sam Smith's oeuvre since his shit is all over the radio this year and wow. We got a new simp king. Jason DeRulo, Bruno Mars, Drake fall back. This dude writes Simphonies. Plus he looks like the suspect son of Mac Miller and Jack Wilshere.

Nice voice tho.

Brehs, I finally decided to ruffle through some of Sam Smith's oeuvre since his shit is all over the radio this year and wow. We got a new simp king. Jason DeRulo, Bruno Mars, Drake fall back. This dude writes Simphonies. Plus he looks like the suspect son of Mac Miller and Jack Wilshere.

Nice voice tho.

dude's awful. it's like morrissey and boy george had a baby.

DominoKid

I made a post way back when Makonnen first popped off about how producers in truly run Atlanta nowadays and how much they work with different artist small or big and it actually brings out variety in their music. Like some of the beats I've heard Sonny Digital give away I never in my life heard Gucci or future go over.....(haven't read the article but that's what I am assuming this is somewhat about)

The producers are killing it but the market is so flooded because they shit out so many hot beats that I gotta give credit to the rappers for getting it over the top. Like that Tuesday has such a natural bounce to it but Makonnen's delivery on that was a stroke of genius. The rappers that end up buzzing are usually on some new shit. The ripoffs might have 1 hot song but usually folks catch on to their act.

Quan got a lot of shit for being a Future clone but his shit is different. Flow is a little more free and that strained singing shit is weird but it worked.

Nice voice tho.

holy shit lmao.

I know for a fact Questlove puts his money to work in inner cities, having seen it firsthand in Detroit. I can understand questioning certain artists but he's not on that list.

His argument really argues what I and others have been saying. I understand there will never be a "balance" on the radio, and I'm fine with that. People want to party and dance - that was true in the 90s (go look at those rap charts), it's true now. That being said radio isn't the main driving force of music anymore, there are multiple ways to make an impact. Yet the music right now is completely one dimensional - drugged out party n bullshit. I'm not getting my dusty old man preaching shoes on, that's just real talk.

Listening to the general feel of hip hop you would never be able to guess dudes were getting shot down monthly by cops. That's pathetic to me. And barely anyone has shit to say about it. There is no aggression or anger in music, everything is turn up. You have a large demographic of people who feel like no one gives a shit about them, and nobody is reaching them mentally. Yea they're being reached in terms of being given a way to escape through music and have fun...there's nothing wrong with that...but I don't see how nobody is trying to reach their soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp5sAQSYyYs ?

IrishNinja

They acquired a new fanbase that essentially sees them as a rap Dave Matthews Band.

...goddamn, this should be in their wiki

i know i should hate this, but i don't

yeah i used to actively give a shit but now im just trying to get this money and move up. i still care, but it's not something thats pressing to me.

i crave that ignorant shit to decompress from having to keep myself locked in during the workday.

fair enough dom, that's pretty much what everyone was saying too, you're just livin it

yeah i mean at the end of they day they got that Tonight Show check as long as they want it. Questlove gets to be white folks tour guide into black culture. He gets to preach from on high w/ little to no brushback. They survived the game but I think he'd give up some of that if it meant that he could actually impact the youth.

oh no doubt, but - and this might not be fair, i certainly don't know dude like that - he's prolific as fuck on twitter while still careful, like he's clearly mastered it. if he could get out of that safe bubble a bit but some real heat came down? i imagine dude would see the grass being greener for what it is...could be wrong

"Like, a tornado hits—“thank god it didn’t hit my house”—there’s no longer an empathy thing of ‘this happened to our community, we have to go rebuild these houses.’ We’ve become such a weird, fearful, narcissistic, individualized culture that we don’t even understand that we’re interconnected and intertwined."

was literally thinking of that exact quote, thank you for that. fits perfect here.

real talk i was revisiting A Better Tomorrow (prolly too soon for me) and what sucked was my workout tonight had this shit during rotation, and it fucked me right up...okay GZA might not have that energy but even U-god does his thing tearing up the intro. i had to ask: can i see these dudes still doing that? solid verse from Rae & co (not Ghost & Meth who i don't personally think have fallen off)? for the most part: yeah, actually...but as PD & esh said, not over RZA's production/vision in 2014.

it's frustrating that i don't feel like the Wu is dead, but that management needs to step down to show it, and again, i'm a huge RZA stan. i don't fucking read books by hip hop artists most times, certainly not more than one.

He produced Liquid Swords tho

Liquid Swords

that's like a lifetime pass for cheesy kung-fu movies and struggle beats

you're lowkey one of my favorite gaffers these days, in here & comic & other threads
not gonna say that out loud again tho bruh

dude's awful. it's like morrissey and boy george had a baby.

...see now you kinda have my attention, oddly

I had no response gif worthy of "Simphonies" so i just threw my hands up and changed the tab.

...this, this.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I never got why Irish did that until I moved over seas. Shit is different. We got to catch up on shit that happened when we get up. Nothing happens in hip hop when the US sleeps and Europe is awake.

Dunno why.

IrishNinja

hey since we were kinda talking about dude earlier: anyone know what became of Zach de la rocha's solo album? was looking up El-P & found out he and Shadow were supposed to work on it, fuck i wish i couldve seen that

The former is 100x more annoying and nonsensical.

I've seen some other GAFers doing it recently too. Scust

Always quote, fam - subliminals are for souljah grrls

I never got why Irish did that until I moved over seas. Shit is different. We got to catch up on shit that happened when we get up. Nothing happens in hip hop when the US sleeps and Europe is awake.

Dunno why.

for me it started during the years of working the graveyeard shift - i'd sleep through pages of pure fuckery & want to join in/say my piece, however late/irrelevant/ignored it might be. just became a habit...this thread can barely move a page in one day, and others, several within hours

WanderingWind

for me it started during the years of working the graveyeard shift - i'd sleep through pages of pure fuckery & want to join in/say my piece, however late/irrelevant/ignored it might be. just became a habit...this thread can barely move a page in one day, and others, several within hours

It's like, did we even discuss Weezy getting Juvie'd after Manny and Juve both told him it was going to happen for a decade? Did we talk about Banks irrelevant ass defending Cosby on Twitter, as if it's a White Man Conspiracy? I dunno. Musically, 2014 has been the weakest year in rap since 1923, but it's damn high up on the fuckery levels.

Just listened to that track "dead people" with Gucci and Raury and I have to say...

...I like some of Raury's songs (off his debut album) but he really blew it on this collab. It sounded real out of character for him. Like an awkward attempt at trying to flex or something while trying to do a (poor) 3 stacks inspired flow.

I'm all for a lyricist trying to jump on a different sound to show how versatile he/she can be but this didn't feel right. It felt kind of empty to me as a verse. No- i'm not always expecting a verse from him that would cause a backpacker fan's mouth to salivate...(I don't really consider him to be a rapper as opposed to a singer but I applaud him for trying something different) I just expected something a little bit more creative from him. Plus he needs to work on his enunciation when he raps because it sounds like he kind of mutters words here and there on his bars. In the end, it's all good. He'll get better. Definitely wasn't feeling this track tho.

WanderingWind

You hit play and the beat drops, freezing a singular moment in time. In seconds, the decades of worry, regret, pain and sorrow fall away, leaving nothing but a core of pure, incandescent bliss. In that moment you are perfect, the world doesn't exist outside of that singularity in which you become one with the music weaving through the empty pits in your soul. Then, unbidden, the world comes rushing back bringing with it the tide of everything that ever was on the waves of the lyrics...

"Now, who's hot, who not..."

Az

Nice voice tho.

O M G

aaaaa

studyguy

This week was heavy as fuck, playstation experience tomorrow too.
I thought we passed thanksgiving cause we eating good right now

Ohnonono

That new Nipsey track got me movin'. His music is so fucking chill to me, I love it. Can't wait for the album to hit itunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom