• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
i just started using spotify again, so my readings would probably suck on there right now

edit: last.fm did say that i played a bunch of sir michael rocks this year though

studyguy

Actually nvm, my girl uses this when she's at home.
I could show you what it recommends me, but then you'd see Ferg, Black Milk, RTJ....
Dixie Chicks, Frozen soundtrack and a fuckload of musicals.

I swear that conversation totally happened in here, ask net_wrecker man. And don't bring up that Ready to Die slander again

That conversation DID in fact happen, and we, as a whole, came to the consensus that only the 1st half of Illmatic is a classic, and the rest is U God tier.

I feel comfortable speaking for everyone on this.

That's what I loved about ITunes, seeing play counts back when my ipod classic was all I used for Music.

Now I got Cds, usb drives, my phone fucking up the stats.

Billy ocean would probably still be number 1 across em all.

Peterboi WOAT taste but he listens to a shit load of music imo and definitely is more into live music than you PD. By a long, longshot.

Also I think Detroit will rebound someday. Too much good land, doing too little.
Yeah, Peterboi will listen to ANYTHING just because it exists. I like that

That conversation DID in fact happen, and we, as a whole, came to the consensus that only the 1st half of Illmatic is a classic, and the rest is U God tier.

you always come through for me man, just like you will on Temple of Osiris on PS4 Dec.9th

...right?

IrishNinja

this Fuck That's Delicious shit is making me a bigger Bronson fan

so glad i miss pages here & there

Yeah, Peterboi will listen to ANYTHING just because it exists. I like that

i once knew a dude that's try any food, no matter how bad/stale it looked
he's dead now but he was a good dude

DominoKid

my top shit for the last 12 months is

Artist Plays: Future, Ye, Drake, Travis Scott, Young Thug

Album Plays
Travis Scott - Days Before Rodeo
Drake - NWTS
Future - Honest
Rich Gang - Rich Gang Tape
YG - My Krazy Life

Song Plays
Rich Gang - Givenchy
Travis Scott - Quintana 2
Travis Scott - Mamacita
Rich Gang - Flava
PARTYNEXTDOOR - Recognize

Peterboi WOAT taste but he listens to a shit load of music imo and definitely is more into live music than you PD. By a long, longshot.

Also I think Detroit will rebound someday. Too much good land, doing too little.

i dunno man. it looks like they have a long way back.

Represent tho

Speaking of which, just a few tracks into this tin wooki

and yall werent playing. Shit is NICE. Something about him clicks more w/ me than Earl.

top 10 of the year for me
love the beats

aye tguy i read the first issue of thor. dat art. reminds me of banner saga mixed with the history channel vikings show. much better than i was expecting
Yeah the art is fucking nice as hell and the storytelling makes it feel more like I am reading some fantasy novel than a comic book. Some Beowulf shit

HiResDes

Yeah after listening to probably close to a hundred mixtapes and albums this year I can honestly admit that nothing has hit me on a deep emotional level quite like things like Niggas is Men, Race Music, GNK, and a few other things from last year. There are tracks like Nate that did, but not entire projects.

CRS

I still use Last.fm that tracks everything I play from foobar and Spotify but since I've mostly been using Spotify, my Last.fm charts are practically similar.

There's a Chrome extension that tracks what you listen to on the web (YouTube/Soundcloud/Bandcamp/etc.) but I'm kind of OCD about the tagging so I don't even bother.

Questlove likes to play papa hip hop and historian but I don't see him organizing or even being visible about shit. Just articles and blog posts from this guy from what I can see.

I know for a fact Questlove puts his money to work in inner cities, having seen it firsthand in Detroit. I can understand questioning certain artists but he's not on that list.

His argument really argues what I and others have been saying. I understand there will never be a "balance" on the radio, and I'm fine with that. People want to party and dance - that was true in the 90s (go look at those rap charts), it's true now. That being said radio isn't the main driving force of music anymore, there are multiple ways to make an impact. Yet the music right now is completely one dimensional - drugged out party n bullshit. I'm not getting my dusty old man preaching shoes on, that's just real talk.

Listening to the general feel of hip hop you would never be able to guess dudes were getting shot down monthly by cops. That's pathetic to me. And barely anyone has shit to say about it. There is no aggression or anger in music, everything is turn up. You have a large demographic of people who feel like no one gives a shit about them, and nobody is reaching them mentally. Yea they're being reached in terms of being given a way to escape through music and have fun...there's nothing wrong with that...but I don't see how nobody is trying to reach their soul.

DominoKid

I still use Last.fm that tracks everything I play from foobar and Spotify but since I've mostly been using Spotify, my Last.fm charts are practically similar.

There's a Chrome extension that tracks what you listen to on the web (YouTube/Soundcloud/Bandcamp/etc.) but I'm kind of OCD about the tagging so I don't even bother.

lastfm needs to get their phone app together. i dont think it's ever been updated it and it doesn't even work on my G3.

DominoKid

I know for a fact Questlove puts his money to work in inner cities, having seen it firsthand in Detroit. I can understand questioning certain artists but he's not on that list.

His argument really argues what I and others have been saying. I understand there will never be a "balance" on the radio, and I'm fine with that. People want to party and dance - that was true in the 90s (go look at those rap charts), it's true now. That being said radio isn't the main driving force of music anymore, there are multiple ways to make an impact. Yet the music right now is completely one dimensional - drugged out party n bullshit. I'm not getting my dusty old man preaching shoes on, that's just real talk.

Listening to the general feel of hip hop you would never be able to guess dudes were getting shot down monthly by cops. That's pathetic to me. And barely anyone has shit to say about it. There is no aggression or anger in music, everything is turn up. You have a large demographic of people who feel like no one gives a shit about them, and nobody is reaching them mentally. Yea they're being reached in terms of being given a way to escape through music and have fun...there's nothing wrong with that...but I don't see how nobody is trying to reach their soul.

yeah questlove is about his but he has no pull w/ the youth at all. you can tell it frustrates the shit out of him that's he's basically stuck preaching to the choir.

the music? im not gonna say that everybody wants to hear that turnup but the market that wants to hear something else is so negligible that folks dont even want to pursue it. they don't want the problems that comes with aligning themselves w/ that side of the table. you could make a nice lil cut of change but the grind to glory ratio probably isnt worth it.

I-by-Kendrick-Lamar.jpg

IrishNinja

yeah questlove is about his but he has no pull w/ the youth at all. you can tell it frustrates the shit out of him that's he's basically stuck preaching to the choir.

i can kinda see that, but dude forged that lane in the early 90's; hard to lament it now
can't even begin to think how many artists would kill to be in his spot...i think the same shit sometimes looking at Cee Lo too

DominoKid

i can kinda see that, but dude forged that lane in the early 90's; hard to lament it now
can't even begin to think how many artists would kill to be in his spot...i think the same shit sometimes looking at Cee Lo too

i actually think he had a chance to turn it back around w/ the folks like 2-3 years around me. i remember a lot of young folks kind of feeling some joints off phrenology. they had the song in Madden. The Seed 2.0 got a lot of love. I think Break You Off got a decent bit of radio play.

not sure what happened w/ the Tipping Point then from Game Theory on all their music has such a bleak outlook that it's not even enjoyable.

i've always wanted them to make some shit that actually jams for a while now. give me a whole album of Seed 2.0s and i'd actually be excited about listening to them again.

Agreed, I really don't understand why Questlove doesn't branch out. He runs with the same circles that surround Jay/Kanye/Timbo/etc, why not do something left (for him). From what I understand he's very picky about music which no doubt plays a part...but jeez man, you're already on the Tonight Show doing backup instrumentation for Bobby Shmurda and a host of other sorry folks, why not take a step out the cool kid pool.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The Seed 2.0 ruined the roots. Shit blew up in the wrong way for the band and all the people they scooped up from that track isn't trying to be enlightened by music or communication. So when they never delivered on that level again (birthday girl) they ended up Jimmy Fallon's backup band.

IrishNinja

i actually think he had a chance to turn it back around w/ the folks like 2-3 years around me. i remember a lot of young folks kind of feeling some joints off phrenology. they had the song in Madden. The Seed 2.0 got a lot of love. I think Break You Off got a decent bit of radio play.

not sure what happened w/ the Tipping Point then from Game Theory on all their music has such a bleak outlook that it's not even enjoyable.

i've always wanted them to make some shit that actually jams for a while now. give me a whole album of Seed 2.0s and i'd actually be excited about listening to them again.

i hear you (and those are solid examples) but i don't know how much/long they could've capitalized on it. also PD kinda nailed it, that early/versatile sound they had, the okayplayer etc cred, they went tremendously further than most indie types do and prolly didn't wanna fuck with that much

still, i loved parts of Tipping Point

The Seed 2.0 ruined the roots. Shit blew up in the wrong way for the band and all the people they scooped up from that track isn't trying to be enlightened by music or communication. So when they never delivered on that level again (birthday girl) they ended up Jimmy Fallon's backup band.

a) that's failing upwards by most standards tho
b) you sure you aren't thinking of Mos Def

Eh to be fair they released Game Theory a couple years after Seed 2.0. But I get what you're saying. They acquired a new fanbase that essentially sees them as a rap Dave Matthews Band.

overcast

I don't understand how we could possibly have a Public Enemy in this era? Like on a popular level, no. Plenty of shit that had a message though, I don't feel deprived.

There aren't many mainstream artists that are trying that route either. People aren't trying to listen to that shit on the radio. Kanye doesn't really try to say much anymore even. I don't mind, I'm a Yeezus fan but he used to be the "mainstream dude saying something"

PBY

Banned
Some of these Cole tracks really hitting brehs

Love Yourz... too on the nose, and cheesy... but it works for me.

Esch

Banned
most people just don't give much of a shit.

they wanna get through their 9-5, stack paper, and don't care whether they're ignorant or not. they don't care about history, the future, our society, or even other people at all really. they live in a microcosm of me me me, and that's whatever.

it makes more sense when you envision the worldview most of the urban radio consumer base like our breh cacophony.

iJZErHpqVgBPv.gif

DominoKid

yeah i used to actively give a shit but now im just trying to get this money and move up. i still care, but it's not something thats pressing to me.

i crave that ignorant shit to decompress from having to keep myself locked in during the workday.

i hear you (and those are solid examples) but i don't know how much/long they could've capitalized on it. also PD kinda nailed it, that early/versatile sound they had, the okayplayer etc cred, they went tremendously further than most indie types do and prolly didn't wanna fuck with that much

still, i loved parts of Tipping Point

a) that's failing upwards by most standards tho
b) you sure you aren't thinking of Mos Def

yeah i mean at the end of they day they got that Tonight Show check as long as they want it. Questlove gets to be white folks tour guide into black culture. He gets to preach from on high w/ little to no brushback. They survived the game but I think he'd give up some of that if it meant that he could actually impact the youth.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You know, I think he even started gaining a bit of pull with like hip-hop nerd types, but once he leaked info about Ye's album and then got mad at people for spreading it across the internet even though he put it out there, I think he pretty much lost it.

He's very careful about what he says, and everyone still respects him, and I don't think he's quite grumpy OG status yet, but I honestly can't think of a reason why this/my generation should care about Questlove aside from telling us stories about the OGs we do care about.

Then again, who does have pull with the youth, really? Can you even pull today's youth? Part of me says if a male boy band can preach celibacy to millions of people worldwide, you can make some social change through hip-hop, but hip-hop acts don't really have a lifespan or that type of fanbase. And those who have that sort of power know they can lose everything for trying.

I don't know what it will take, but people aren't tryna hear anything socially conscious right now IMO. Whether it's on a trap beat or not, whether it's Jay talking or Macklemore, I don't think people consume hip-hop like that anymore. If there was an It Takes A Nation that was made perfectly to reflect the ills of society today, I don't think it would resonate regardless.

EDIT: overcast and Esch on the same wavelength, I see y'all

most people just don't give much of a shit.

they wanna get through their 9-5, stack paper, and don't care whether they're ignorant or not. they don't care about history, the future, our society, or even other people at all really. they live in a microcosm of me me me, and that's whatever.

it makes more sense when you envision the worldview most of the urban radio consumer base like our breh cacophony.

iJZErHpqVgBPv.gif

"Like, a tornado hits—“thank god it didn’t hit my house”—there’s no longer an empathy thing of ‘this happened to our community, we have to go rebuild these houses.’ We’ve become such a weird, fearful, narcissistic, individualized culture that we don’t even understand that we’re interconnected and intertwined."

DominoKid

Some of these Cole tracks really hitting brehs

Love Yourz... too on the nose, and cheesy... but it works for me.

yeah i bumped that shit on my lunch break in the parking lot and despite the numerous flaws i can play all the tracks except Wet Dreamz. now they arent all great but i'm not lunging for the skip button either.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yea, lmao there's one part where Action is just so high out of his mind and every bite he takes just seems like he can feel his life changing slowly
I'm feeling that way right now about the beans and tamales I'm eating while sipping on some scotch.

Heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom