• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like a lot of the first three albums. Pick and choose songs after that.

Nothing worse than someone trying to tell me how good infinite was. "His first album was so good but no one's ever heard it really" Fuck outta here. I heard it once and never touched it again. Garbage imo

Nothing worse than someone trying to tell me how good infinite was. "His first album was so good but no one's ever heard it really" Fuck outta here. I heard it once and never touched it again. Garbage imo

he got good when slim shady lp dropped. anyways it makes sense that people would be like that since he went from underground to arguably biggest rapper of all time between the span of infinite and marshall mathers lp.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like a lot of the first three albums. Pick and choose songs after that.

I would actually like to see download stats on that album or something.

I'm sure Em will choose to re-release it in the next few years to keep the steam going, like shoveling coal into a train engine.

IrishNinja

I know on Illmatic we've gone from "best rap album ever breh" to "well maybe just best rap album of 94" to "man IDK the second half isn't as good man I always turn it off after The World Is Yours", so I'd like to know where we all stand on that

JC you speak for no man
well maybe tguy on his "READY TO DIE IS OKAY OR WHATEVER" type foolishness

Kanye West is a God and I can't believe we're discussing this all the fucking time.

who does he think he is, though?

Esch

Banned
Man that's kind of sad.

3Oz13hD.png

JC you speak for no man
well maybe tguy on his "READY TO DIE IS OKAY OR WHATEVER" type foolishness

I swear that conversation totally happened in here, ask net_wrecker man. And don't bring up that Ready to Die slander again

Man that's kind of sad.

look at Peterb0y's salary tho

the Lord takes care of his children

Wait, how did we start talking about Kanye again?

honestly, I think IrishNinja started it

he got good when slim shady lp dropped. anyways it makes sense that people would be like that since he went from underground to arguably biggest rapper of all time between the span of infinite and marshall mathers lp.

the best part about SSLP is the hunger and honesty
some of those songs are just reworked versions off of SSEP or from a period where the guy was broke as fuck
that's why i like MMLP so much because it's the first album he recorded after it began to sink in that he "made it"
but yea as a resident Em stan, people saying Infinite was great are full of shit. couple decent songs but overall mediocre.

as for MBDTF i can't hate
great album, reminds me of this time of the year actually
only knock is that at times it feels "over-produced" but I feel like some hipster douchebag saying that lol
still excellent though

look at Peterb0y's salary tho

the Lord takes care of his children

good point, Yeezus saves

DominoKid

questlove say hiphop is full of pussies right now. from the IG. i think he expects too much out of people today.

I urge and challenge musicians and artists alike to push themselves to be a voice of the times that we live in. I know that many see what happened to Dixie Chicks’ #NatalieMaines @mainesmusic (she bravely expressed her opinion/dismay on the Bush administration declaring war & was unjustly targeted….while in hindsight being CORRECT) suddenly there was an onslaught of radio silence from artists across the board (correction not everyone was silent, but the silence was deafening) although I’m kinda/sorta addressing the hip hop nation I really apply this challenge to ALL artists. We need new Dylans. New Public Enemys. New Simones. New De La Roachas. New ideas! But it just doesn’t stop there!! We need outlets (hello #ClearChannel #RadioOne #Vh1) to balance the system. Yeah I’m just as guilty of feeling the high of all that I despise (“Devil’s Pie” D’angelo) but the reason why this nation seems to be moving 3 steps ahead in some areas…..but then 7 steps backwards in every area is a lack of balance. I’m not saying every song gotta be “Fight The Power” but in times like these we need to be more community minded (taking a wild guess that “urban radio’s” format didn’t change much from the pre program stuff (using that word *politely*) we’ve been hearing for years. & when I say challenge I don’t mean breathless race to the finish on who makes the more banging “Fuck Tha Police” sequel. I mean real stories. Real narratives. Songs with spirit in them. Songs with solutions. Songs with questions. Protest songs don’t have to be boring or non danceable or ready made for the next Olympics. They just have to speak truth. I laugh & have fun w “Bitch You Guessed It” like everyone else. But my soul is aching man. Seriously just ONE or Two songs that change the course. This is something I feel the need and urgency to put out there. #EricGarner #MikeBrown #JusticeForAll #FeedMySoul #HandsUpDontShoot #ICantBreathe

PBY

Banned
Man that's kind of sad.
Yeshrug.

I like what I like. Also my gf loves ye and that factors into it. I can zone out to that.

Anyways. Have hella work tonight. Gonna listen to tin wooki. What are other albums this year that I can work to?

questlove say hiphop is full of pussies right now. from the IG. i think he expects too much out of people today.

I urge and challenge musicians and artists alike to push themselves to be a voice of the times that we live in. I know that many see what happened to Dixie Chicks’ #NatalieMaines @mainesmusic (she bravely expressed her opinion/dismay on the Bush administration declaring war & was unjustly targeted….while in hindsight being CORRECT) suddenly there was an onslaught of radio silence from artists across the board (correction not everyone was silent, but the silence was deafening) although I’m kinda/sorta addressing the hip hop nation I really apply this challenge to ALL artists. We need new Dylans. New Public Enemys. New Simones. New De La Roachas. New ideas! But it just doesn’t stop there!! We need outlets (hello #ClearChannel #RadioOne #Vh1) to balance the system. Yeah I’m just as guilty of feeling the high of all that I despise (“Devil’s Pie” D’angelo) but the reason why this nation seems to be moving 3 steps ahead in some areas…..but then 7 steps backwards in every area is a lack of balance. I’m not saying every song gotta be “Fight The Power” but in times like these we need to be more community minded (taking a wild guess that “urban radio’s” format didn’t change much from the pre program stuff (using that word *politely*) we’ve been hearing for years. & when I say challenge I don’t mean breathless race to the finish on who makes the more banging “Fuck Tha Police” sequel. I mean real stories. Real narratives. Songs with spirit in them. Songs with solutions. Songs with questions. Protest songs don’t have to be boring or non danceable or ready made for the next Olympics. They just have to speak truth. I laugh & have fun w “Bitch You Guessed It” like everyone else. But my soul is aching man. Seriously just ONE or Two songs that change the course. This is something I feel the need and urgency to put out there. #EricGarner #MikeBrown #JusticeForAll #FeedMySoul #HandsUpDontShoot #ICantBreathe

I-by-Kendrick-Lamar.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I don't disagree.. but I think over time we've accumulated a lot of similar narratives and shit has a hard time standing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly91bPfvUsU

IrishNinja

peter's still a new slave tho

#levels

only knock is that at times it feels "over-produced" but I feel like some hipster douchebag saying that lol

okay but it's a legit knock too, like...pick a really great premo beat, like say Just to get a Rep or Unbelievable right

now what if i put a few more drum loops, some high hats, indian chanting, maybe a baby laughing and maybe a bit of this magic for good measure

feelin a little less douchey i hope

man Irish now i gotta go listen to Ready to Die for the millionth time lol

edit: which means I can also use this post to reinforce that Warning is a GOAT song

Esch

Banned
CountBlackule sit your 5 dollar ass down with that shit. I has nothing to do with these current conflicts. Or anything really. Just some flower child bs

IrishNinja

at least he has 36 Seasons

thank fuck

He's in a house band for a late night show...idk if he really has to room to talk

That being said I do miss groups like P.E., Dead Prez etc

ouch
yeah i didn't get into Prez as much as some but dug a few albums, loved PE and got mad happy hearing de la rocha do more than just drop the hook on RTJ2, totally need more like that in my life

man Irish now i gotta go listen to Ready to Die for the millionth time lol

i know #sorrynotsorry

He's in a house band for a late night show...idk if he really has to room to talk

Yeah I�m just as guilty of feeling the high of all that I despise

Says that right in the passage bro. Really??? Besides,who cares he is on a late night show....

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

He acknowledges this in that passage AND they still simultaneously put out socially conscious albums. Or did, because I didn't bother listening to the last one.

I like what he says, but with the state of things now, I think the few people who might do it, their songs would be looked over because tastes have changed. It seems to me that majority feel like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM9N2c0UTE8&t=4m51s

I can confirm this with a couple of people though. I played that in the caf a few weeks ago with some peeps sitting next to me and one dude looked to his friend and said "that's you right there" and she nodded with confidence.

I like Questlove. It's looking The Roots or at least Black Thought will be doing some music with Sa-Roc as she has been opening for him and she was just on the Tonight Show with them.

Yeah I�m just as guilty of feeling the high of all that I despise

Says that right in the passage bro. Really??? Besides,who cares he is on a late night show....

He acknowledges this in that passage AND they still simultaneously put out socially conscious albums. Or did, because I didn't bother listening to the last one.

lol questlove defense squad...

I love the Roots and Questlove's shit. I don't even necessarily mind them on Jimmy Fallon, I'm just saying instead of going on Social Media an chastising others...perform a song or organize a benefit in Ferguson.

Questlove probably has one of the bigger platforms of most hip-hop artists (excluding Kanye, and Hov), he can do more than ask where everyone else is...

I love the Roots and Questlove's shit. I don't even necessarily mind them on Jimmy Fallon, I'm just saying instead of going on Social Media an chastising others...perform a song or organize a benefit in Ferguson.

Questlove probably has one of the bigger platforms of most hip-hop artists (excluding Kanye, and Hov), he can do more than ask where everyone else is...
No one cares about Questlove. How you came to that conclusion I don't even know

Esch

Banned

Questlove likes to play papa hip hop and historian but I don't see him organizing or even being visible about shit. Just articles and blog posts from this guy from what I can see.

DominoKid

isn't PD from Detroit? im watching this Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown ep on Detroit and some of this bombed out abandoned shit looks like a movie. some parts are everything i imagined what future American wastelands will look like.

isn't PD from Detroit? im watching this Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown ep on Detroit and some of this bombed out abandoned shit looks like a movie. some parts are everything i imagined what future American wastelands will look like.

yeah shit looked the same as it did in robocop back in the 80s. that's where the post-apocalypse begins.

aye tguy i read the first issue of thor. dat art. reminds me of banner saga mixed with the history channel vikings show. much better than i was expecting

IrishNinja

as ever, some good perspective

But how do you tell musicians who escaped the grips of poverty that they should rap about social issues when they’re trying to buy their mother a house? They’re trying to get the hell out of the ghetto themselves. The people that they’re rapping to and rapping for, they experience five, six, seven days of hate, of pain, of psychological torture. They experience that. They don’t even wanna hear about it anymore sometimes. They just want to escape. They escape through the fantasy of “I drive a big car. I have a big house. I’m a boss. Nobody can tell me what to do.” That music can be as therapeutic as recognizing there’s a big problem and speaking about it. How many years have we talked about the problem and nothing's been able to be done about it? Marvin Gaye said, “What’s going on?” Fast forward to my time, Ice Cube, Scarface, Chuck D, it’s all happened time and time again. But until citizens—until society—says, “This is what we want and what we’re ready for,” how do you expect the artists to? I do this not because I’m an artist but because I’m an advocate. I’m an organizer, through and through. It’s who I am. I can no more escape this than the color of my skin. But I can tell you 99 rappers that are not. They’re simply trying to make it out of their own personal hell. But with that said, I expect more, even out of them. And shit’s gotta change.

some interesting parallels here from my recent reading of Hip Hop Family Tree where Grandmaster Flash "The Message" wasn't expected to do well because people just wanted to dance to escape that shit even then

Disagreeing is hardly a defence force

welcome to GAF dun

Questlove likes to play papa hip hop and historian but I don't see him organizing or even being visible about shit. Just articles and blog posts from this guy from what I can see.

not everyone can teach b

CRS

The abandoned factories right? Yeah, even though it has a sad history, thought it looked really neat.

MBDTF was my most listened to album this year per spotify

And it's my fav album OAT

zxb9Wor.png

Everyone else should post theirs.

Shit will be looking like that Doomsday movie in 20 years

PBY

Banned
no offense but this tells me your musical experience is low as fuck.

shiiiiiiiiiit PD thinks my music level is low.

w/e bro. I could bet 100 bux my musical tastes are more diverse than yours, but who cares. Like what you like. soulja girl way.

Esch

Banned
Peterboi WOAT taste but he listens to a shit load of music imo and definitely is more into live music than you PD. By a long, longshot.

Also I think Detroit will rebound someday. Too much good land, doing too little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom