• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Logic? But

I6bcWsH.png

This is like typical Cole, sonically. A nice melody hook that someone who can actually sing should have sung. Drums that feel weak. And a nice beat that would knock (at least for a pop rap song) with some tinkering. It's the type of track 40 (Drake's producer) has mastered over the years, the type of track Dre would breath life into.

It reminds me of when KRIT said he went to a club and heard his music playing, then quickly noted it didn't knock like the other songs being played. So he started tinkering with his sound to find a way to get that sound. Cole has never had that revelation and probably never will.

DominoKid

as long as Cole stans give him credit for making mediocre shit just because he does it by himself, then he'll never have to have that realization.

injurai

Banned
My Hip-hop aoty shortlist is looking like the following. It's excluding all grime or jazz-hop.
Probably only 3-4 of these will make my actual aoty list.

Busdriver - Perfect Hair
Black Milk - If There's a Hell Below
Run the Jewels - RTJ2
Dels - Petals Have Fallen
Flying Lotus - You're Dead!
CunninLynguists - Strange Journey Volume Three
Sadistik - Ultraviolet
The Doppelgangaz - Peace Kehd
Die Antwood - Donker Mag
Sisyphus - Sisyphus
Kate Tempest - Everybody Down
Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
Ghostface Killah - 36 Seasons
Timbuktu - How Huge: The Legend of Howard Huge
Yung Lean - Unknown Memories

My Hip-hop aoty shortlist is looking like the following. It's excluding all grime or jazz-hop.
Probably only 3-4 of these will make my actual aoty list.

Busdriver - Perfect Hair
Black Milk - If There's a Hell Below
Run the Jewels - RTJ2
Dels - Petals Have Fallen
Flying Lotus - You're Dead!
CunninLynguists - Strange Journey Volume Three
Sadistik - Ultraviolet
The Doppelgangaz - Peace Kehd
Die Antwood - Donker Mag
Sisyphus - Sisyphus
Kate Tempest - Everybody Down
Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
Ghostface Killah - 36 Seasons
Timbuktu - How Huge: The Legend of Howard Huge
Yung Lean - Unknown Memories

what grime albums came out this year that you'd rec?

injurai

Banned
what grime albums came out this year that you'd rec?

A lot of it is instrumental, as it's been in revival this year.

Murlo - Into Mist
Sully - Blue EP (Instrumental Grime / Jungle hybrid)
JT The Goon - Twin Warriors EP
The Bug - Angels & Devils
Mumdance - Take Time
Mr. Mitch - Parallel Memories
Strict Face - Marbles Isles
Slackk - Palm Tree Fires
Dark0 - Fate
Inkke - Crystal Childre EP
Rabit - Sun Dragon
Rabit & Logos - Glacial vs. Misnomer
Moleskin - Moleskin EP
Visionist - I'm Fine (Part II)
Asa & Sorrow - Legendary EP
Wen - Singles
Wen & Parris - Caught / Collide
Kahn - Gorgon Sound Visions
Bloom - Hydrolics EP
DJ Milktray - All Because The Lady Loves
Fatima Al Qadiri – Asiatisch

cam'ronstare.gif

you can do better than that. Logic had a better album.

I have a few guilty pleasures a year. Iggy wouldn't even make my top 5 of those. But I can groove to it without much trouble so I thought it deserved a mention.

injurai

Banned
They recorded one last album before breaking up, it hasn't been released in full yet. I'm pretty sure they were just fucking around at that point, as evidenced further by the track I just posted.

is it niggas on the moon part 2? or something different?

overcast

isn't this supposed to not exist...
Who knows, it's death grips.

That Cole verse probably has some of his white fan base so salty lmao. Question. How would those rappers be appropriating the culture or stealing it? But El-P (for example) does not. I know Cole wouldn't mention him. I'd like to see what you guys think.

Kwixotik

aaaand ilovemakonnen has just been posted to my grad school class Facebook page

Can I avoid listening to it for much longer?

I've been stuck listening to Starlito and Ratking for months

Cole album...pretty front loaded. First few tracks ranged from good to great, then it begins to taper off. I think Cole is a really good song writer and makes some cool beats...but he doesn't strike me as a producer. Multiple tracks would have been better with a female singer doing the hooks and singing vs his somewhat off key delivery. It just sounds awkward.

Sonically it's his best album, definitely. At the same time thematically it's very similar to everything else he has done. From beginning to end it's like a short story of his life, including a lot of stuff we've heard before - but with some more broad, conscious stuff thrown in (Ferguson seems to swim throughout much of the album). Meanwhile I find it odd that while he shouts his mom out a couple times, he doesn't really talk about her much outside of one song. I don't think he needs to go full-Logic and air everything out, but there has to be an interesting story there. Same with him being mixed and not having much to say about it.

Finally I still think Cole's bravado really comes off hollow. If this is his move for the crown then good luck breh, I'm not really impressed on that front. Speaking of crowns there's an interesting part of Fire Squad where he basically says the idea of a "king of rap" needs to be brought back to earth/the people, as royalty in hip hop is nothing but arrogance. It itched my rap nerd self, as it touched on something I always complain about: Cole and a lot of these new guys feel like fans, not stars. They're not really doing anything that makes me think they're on some upper echelon or untouchable. The first time I heard Dead Presidents II it blew me away, it was just on another level to me. Same with when I first heard NY State of Mind, or Everyday Struggle. I don't get that sense from anyone now, although Kendrick sometimes seems like he can do it.

still Wet Dreamz tho
S799vbT.gif

7/10

aaaand ilovemakonnen has just been posted to my grad school class Facebook page

Can I avoid listening to it for much longer?

I've been stuck listening to Starlito and Ratking for months

starlito is all good. has he released anything this year? dude seemed to be nonexistent in 2014.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
For me Cole is like Krit where I can see the talent there and appreciate their brand for what it is, but both seem to have plateaued and didn't show any real growth or freshness with their new albums. Both albums are nice but nothing I'm going to keep on rotation outside of a few individual tracks. They hit their respective ceilings as b-tier artists.

Agree with the front loaded point
If you gave this a 7, what would you give Born Sinner PD?

Maybe a 6.5. Sideline Story is basically a 6. Really liked the mixtapes, which were high 8s to me.

Cole and KRIT definitely seem like kindred spirits in terms of resentment for their placement. Cole is such a straight forward lyricist, there is rarely anything poetic about him; he's basically a semi reformed punchline rapper with a conscious. And KRIT just seems handicapped when he can't sample whatever he wants.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe it's unfair to expect an artist to keep reinventing their sound like say, Kanye, but when you keep more or less making the same record there's always gonna be diminishing returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom