• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuinely curious about this, because it's absolutely beyond me and I don't have any intention to diss anyone. If you dig the shit, more power to you.

Why exactly do so many people like Young Thug and Future? What exactly is good about their..... Eh..... music? I ask this because I don't even consider it as music. Young Thug and all his copycats is exactly what is wrong with Hiphop nowadays in my book. His subject matters are.... well are they even subject matters? I can barely understand what he's even saying, seems to be mumbling and just saying shit just for the heck of it.

Then when I watch a video or two of him I get the idea something is wrong with him, like he got some kind of syndrome basically. The same applies to Future for me, again you can barely understand what he's talking about, looking at some lyrics online clearly shows that it's basically about nothing and the auto tune itself is too terrible for words. I guess his real voice must be absolutely ear demolishing or else I guess he would sometimes turn that autotune off?

WHat exactly is so good here? Where is a decent flow, delivery, subject matter, actual lyrics and a decent beat?

Genuinely curious about this, because it's absolutely beyond me and I don't have any intention to diss anyone. If you dig the shit, more power to you.

Why exactly do so many people like Young Thug and Future? What exactly is good about their..... Eh..... music? I ask this because I don't even consider it as music. Young Thug and all his copycats is exactly what is wrong with Hiphop nowadays in my book. His subject matters are.... well are they even subject matters? I can barely understand what he's even saying, seems to be mumbling and just saying shit just for the heck of it.

Then when I watch a video or two of him I get the idea something is wrong with him, like he got some kind of syndrome basically. The same applies to Future for me, again you can barely understand what he's talking about, looking at some lyrics online clearly shows that it's basically about nothing and the auto tune itself is too terrible for words. I guess his real voice must be absolutely ear demolishing or else I guess he would sometimes turn that autotune off?

WHat exactly is so good here? Where is a decent flow, delivery, subject matter, actual lyrics and a decent beat?

Young Thug flows/rhythms are creative and catchy as all hell, basically. He's more like a human instrument than a traditional MC.

Future; man I ain't even know. Something about that blaring repetitiveness makes you turn up

It bangs? I listened to a few tracks that people considered to be dope, it doesn't bang in any way. It's a total assault to my ears. It bangs when the beat goes hard, a hard hitting beat and we got plenty of that in Hiphop but Thug and Future is what I'd call weak as hell. I honestly don't get it. There was a time that mainstream Hiphop actually banged, even had lyrics. I want those times to return.

If the guy is like a human instrument, someone seriously needs to fine tune that clown. Good lord!

It bangs? I listened to a few tracks that people considered to be dope, it doesn't bang in any way. It's a total assault to my ears. It bangs when the beat goes hard, a hard hitting beat and we got plenty of that in Hiphop but Thug and Future is what I'd call weak as hell. I honestly don't get it. There was a time that mainstream Hiphop actually banged, even had lyrics. I want those times to return.

If the guy is like a human instrument, someone seriously needs to fine tune that clown. Good lord!

Alright man you can take this shit back to YouTube comments please

thabiz

When did mainstream hip hop bang?

Nibel

Tatsumi the kind of 'hip hop' you are talking about not only exists but still dominates the majority of the genre. Not liking Future or Thugga is one thing, but claiming a rapper has to fill a certain checklist to be seen as a musician is a very naive view on things and closes a lot of doors for you.

I guess it depends on what you consider bangin' music, that much is clear to me know. I am just trying to understand but that's not going to happen. It's all good.

Tatsumi the kind of 'hip hop' you are talking about not only exists but still dominates the majority of the genre. Not liking Future or Thugga is one thing, but claiming a rapper has to fill a certain checklist to be seen as a musician is a very naive view on things and closes a lot of doors for you.

Then you misunderstood me, because that's not what I meant. I am just baffled that it's considered to be music, let alone Hiphop. Correct me if am wrong but both guys don't do anything that I personally consider to be even really Hiphop related. Like I said, I am not here to diss people who enjoy their material, it's just that when I see how insane many views a Thug or Future song gets on YouTube or just on sites in general, I'm just shocked. Are you sure the real Hiphop is still on top? Because the times I looked at charts and just in general on what was very popular at the time, a lot of times I see their names. I find it sad when I see sales numbers for a Thug CD compared to.... let's say Immortal Technique for example. Now I know that his subjects aren't for everybody, but it's just an example.

Pathetic troll attempt. Good day sir.

You can't be serious. In no way am I even trying to troll. What the hell?

I simply say what I think. I asked the questions here because I was curious why people actually like it. I got my answers but I still don't understand it. That's my right, damn.

PBY

Banned

Church

Ohnonono

Your right, they should go back to the studio and get on that Immortal Technique train. Or they could keep making good music.

Bacon

Drink a little bit, listen to thugga or future, try to tell me that shit doesn't bang with a straight face. You cant

I'm turning 40 this year. Born in NYC. Grew up on Run DMC, Fresh Prince, Public Enemy, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Heavy D, blah, blah, blah.

And I threw that Future tape into my car and had In The Mattress and Salute on repeat. I'm LTTP with Hendrix but his music bangs. I don't take all the Activez, Purp, Crack Sellin', Rolle flashing seriously. It's just good music. By now the winking is obvious in this line of music, so it's down to the lyrics, beat, chorus, vibe, etc.

Purple Reign is no where as good as DS2 but for a free mixtape, it's good filler with a few outstanding tracks.

Ohnonono

IT was just an example, cause recently I saw the sales comparison. I can name countless more.

Good music.... yeah... Ok. :)

Why is Rudimentary Peni not Bruce Springsteen! I like my rock and roll like its supposed to be!

I understand not liking something, but people fucking with stuff makes new interesting music. Maybe not for everyone but it does way more to create something interesting than dusty bars on wannabe 90s beats.

Nibel

Thugga isn't even high up the charts and Future has been working his ass off to get where he is now. While I think both are quality musicians they both also have insane work ethics - something that is seemingly becoming more and more important in this day and age - which puts them where they are at now.

Like I said, it's cool to have a different opinion on someone, but.. I dunno. Saying "this ain't music" is exactly what all the old people round here are saying when you show them music of today and I don't think that's a necessarily healthy stance to have in life

FWIW I was late to the Thugga/Fewtch train as well, but when I was in a certain mindset and listened to them it just clicked and since then they've been dominating my playlists. Sometimes you don't need deep lyrics, dusty beats and shit when you work on something etc

I'm turning 40 this year. Born in NYC. Grew up on Run DMC, Fresh Prince, Public Enemy, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Heavy D, blah, blah, blah.

And I threw that Future tape into my car and had In The Mattress and Salute on repeat. I'm LTTP with Hendrix but his music bangs. I don't take all the Activez, Purp, Crack Sellin', Rolle flashing seriously. It's just good music. By now the winking is obvious in this line of music, so it's down to the lyrics, beat, chorus, vibe, etc.

Purple Reign is no where as good as DS2 but for a free mixtape, it's good filler with a few outstanding tracks.

Salute to this OG

Why is Rudimentary Peni not Bruce Springsteen! I like my rock and roll like its supposed to be!

I understand not liking something, but people fucking with stuff makes new interesting music. Maybe not for everyone but it does way more to create something interesting than dusty bars on wannabe 90s beats.

Salute to Young Anime

Eos

I guess it depends on what you consider bangin' music, that much is clear to me know. I am just trying to understand but that's not going to happen. It's all good.

Then you misunderstood me, because that's not what I meant. I am just baffled that it's considered to be music, let alone Hiphop. Correct me if am wrong but both guys don't do anything that I personally consider to be even really Hiphop related. Like I said, I am not here to diss people who enjoy their material, it's just that when I see how insane many views a Thug or Future song gets on YouTube or just on sites in general, I'm just shocked. Are you sure the real Hiphop is still on top? Because the times I looked at charts and just in general on what was very popular at the time, a lot of times I see their names. I find it sad when I see sales numbers for a Thug CD compared to.... let's say Immortal Technique for example. Now I know that his subjects aren't for everybody, but it's just an example.
If immortal technique made better songs than young thug, he'd have more views

Koozek

Thugga isn't even high up the charts and Future has been working his ass off to get where he is now. While I think both are quality musicians they both also have insane work ethics - something that is seemingly becoming more and more important in this day and age - which puts them where they are at now.

Like I said, it's cool to have a different opinion on someone, but.. I dunno. Saying "this ain't music" is exactly what all the old people round here are saying when you show them music of today and I don't think that's a necessarily healthy stance to have in life

FWIW I was late to the Thugga/Fewtch train as well, but when I was in a certain mindset and listened to them it just clicked and since then they've been dominating my playlists. Sometimes you don't need deep lyrics, dusty beats and shit when you work on something etc

Salute to this OG

Salute to Young Anime

Salute to Freddie Nibbs

And here you are still not stating what is good music.

In no particular order, they provided us with some great stuff. Some more recent than the other..... such as Nas and Saigon, it's been a while since we had something from them.

So I am not mentioning the many other great ones that haven't released anything for a long time.

Ghostface
Joe Budden
Nas
Saigon
Joey Badass
Busta Rhymes
Rick Ross
Hopsin
Pusha T
The Game
Freddie Gibbs
Jeezy
Kanye
Jay Rock
Kendrick
Phryme
Scarface
Raekwon
Jadakiss
Paris
Big sean

Hell.... I'd even mention Boosie Badazz with a surprisingly decent album recently but apart from that I barely know the guy. Or Young Buck, the best out of G-Unit has done plenty of dope tracks.

There's still plenty from last year that I am. Trying to catch up on. Too much, especially the more underground stuff.

Drink a little bit, listen to thugga or future, try to tell me that shit doesn't bang with a straight face. You cant

I don't drink a lot, but i'm sure i'd still hate it. But if that ever changes, i won't be too good to not admit it. :)

Salute to this OG

Salute to Young Anime

I get what you mean, but it simply doesn't apply to me. I also agree with you though, you definitely don't always want depressing tracks (Budden in plenty of tracks) and amazing lyrics. Sometimes simply some 50 Cent is good enough, hell i think i could even learn to appreciate Waka Flocka, but i just can't listen to Young Thug or Future, sorry. I am not trolling or trying to be cool when i say that kind of shit assaults my ears...it really does. So for ME it is not music. It IS for plenty of people and i will not go at them for that. That would be nonsense to do.

Tatsumi pls stick around

I definitely will. Ever since i registered on NeoGAF i've been having a great time here. Great discussions on lots of different subjects, both gaming and non gaming things. I love hiphop and what better place to talk about that as well here? Plenty of promising things coming this year.

Hopsin is a troll in there to make sure we are reading your post right? Gibbs is life tho.

Not at all. Not every track is good on Pound Syndrome, not at all, but he got some nice ones on there for sure.

No puffy?

Shameful

Never been big on Puffy, but i also haven't heard the cd yet. Like i said in my previous post, i still need to hear a lot of 2015 stuff.

Koozek

I don't drink a lot, but i'm sure i'd still hate it. But if that ever changes, i won't be too good to not admit it. :)

I get what you mean, but it simply doesn't apply to me. I also agree with you though, you definitely don't always want depressing tracks (Budden in plenty of tracks) and amazing lyrics. Sometimes simply some 50 Cent is good enough, hell i think i could even learn to appreciate Waka Flocka, but i just can't listen to Young Thug or Future, sorry. I am not trolling or trying to be cool when i say that kind of shit assaults my ears...it really does. So for ME it is not music. It IS for plenty of people and i will not go at them for that. That would be nonsense to do.

I definitely will. Ever since i registered on NeoGAF i've been having a great time here. Great discussions on lots of different subjects, both gaming and non gaming things. I love hiphop and what better place to talk about that as well here? Plenty of promising things coming this year.

Not at all. Not every track is good on Pound Syndrome, not at all, but he got some nice ones on there for sure.

Never been big on Puffy, but i also haven't heard the cd yet. Like i said in my previous post, i still need to hear a lot of 2015 stuff.
Regarding Thugga: at first I only listened to that Lifestyle track ironically because he sounded alien-like, like Wayne around 09' or so, but times 10. Then I slowly realized that he actually had some crazy creative flows and a nice ear for micro-melodies when the huge leak batch + Barter 6 dropped. I see his rapping more like an "instrument" - I don't care about the nonsensical lyrics, it's just about the way he uses his voice and how he switches flows all the time. I'm not seeing myself still listening to him for years, it's just fun for the moment and in the right mood.

Future took a while for me to click. I think I was 3 months or so late to the DS2 wagon in here. WATTBA is still on my to-go playlist, too. I found him repetetive and motonous, too, at the beginning, but at some point I just "got it" and was able to enjoy it for what it is.

Btw, just remembered that this was the first track I heard from Future in 2012 - after that I haven't followed anything until last year when GAF-Hop started hyping him so much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBKJzTpL8QI

The new Gibbs album is dope as hell. He works so well on these trappier beats.

You need to get way out of your comfort zone. You are very close minded when it comes to this rap shit. Also just because you do not like it, does not mean it is not music. That is the opinion of a child breh. Its still music.

Anyway, Thugga is liked for his creative flows, voices, and melodies. If you can understand the appeal for Wayne, you can understand the appeal from someone who is Wayne to the 100th power.

Future is more about the mood he creates, the production and his hooks. It is not too difficult to understand why people prefer easy-satisfying listens, rather than Hopsin spewing angry teenager close-minded lyrics over shit production.

It is OK to like different things :)

Koozek

You need to get way out of your comfort zone. You are very close minded when it comes to this rap shit. Also just because you do not like it, does not mean it is not music. That is the opinion of a child breh. Its still music.

Anyway, Thugga is liked for his creative flows, voices, and melodies. If you can understand the appeal for Wayne, you can understand the appeal from someone who is Wayne to the 100th power.

Future is more about the mood he creates, the production and his hooks. It is not too difficult to understand why people prefer easy-satisfying listens, rather than Hopsin spewing angry teenager close-minded lyrics over shit production.

It is OK to like different things :)
Preach.

Ninja Dom

You need to listen to Barter 6, Slime Season 2, Dirty Sprite 2 & What A Time To Be Alive.

Absolutely incredible hip-hop. Slime Season 2 is my 2015 album of the year and Barter 6 is my number 2. Listen loud with headphones. Thugga's voice and the beats (Metro Boomin', London On The Track, Weezy, Goose) that are given to him just marry so, so well and once this music clicks with you, you'll close your eyes and let the music take you to another better place.

Give me a very large glass of Strong Vodka & Red Bull with ice, and a free day the next day. And I'll put on Thugga and my evening is complete.
redbull.jpg

As for the new Puffy album, MMM, it's decent. A solid 7/10 album.

rambis

Banned

Its southern music. They talk in southern accents using southern lingo. Well really ATL lingo. If you're not from here then you are not expected to understand. The problem is that the south has usually been the most popular region and alot of people copy and bite the flows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom