• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuinely curious about this, because it's absolutely beyond me and I don't have any intention to diss anyone. If you dig the shit, more power to you.

Why exactly do so many people like Young Thug and Future? What exactly is good about their..... Eh..... music? I ask this because I don't even consider it as music. Young Thug and all his copycats is exactly what is wrong with Hiphop nowadays in my book. His subject matters are.... well are they even subject matters? I can barely understand what he's even saying, seems to be mumbling and just saying shit just for the heck of it.

Then when I watch a video or two of him I get the idea something is wrong with him, like he got some kind of syndrome basically. The same applies to Future for me, again you can barely understand what he's talking about, looking at some lyrics online clearly shows that it's basically about nothing and the auto tune itself is too terrible for words. I guess his real voice must be absolutely ear demolishing or else I guess he would sometimes turn that autotune off?

WHat exactly is so good here? Where is a decent flow, delivery, subject matter, actual lyrics and a decent beat?

C'mon man, stop with that shit. Who are you to determine what is and isn't music just because you don't like it? That's as bad as when people say "rap (in general) isn't real mhsic". People like the music. I even like Young Thug, and my favourite subgenre of hip hop is 90's boom bap. Not everything has to be in the same lane.

x Misogi

Listen to his previous album, Venice. Outstanding too, Might Be might be his best song ever.

Not gonna lie I like Milk and Honey and I Miss That Whip just as much as Might Be.

He also had an EP with Blended Babies that had 4 songs on it last year too.

You need to get way out of your comfort zone. You are very close minded when it comes to this rap shit. Also just because you do not like it, does not mean it is not music. That is the opinion of a child breh. Its still music.

Anyway, Thugga is liked for his creative flows, voices, and melodies. If you can understand the appeal for Wayne, you can understand the appeal from someone who is Wayne to the 100th power.

Future is more about the mood he creates, the production and his hooks. It is not too difficult to understand why people prefer easy-satisfying listens, rather than Hopsin spewing angry teenager close-minded lyrics over shit production.

It is OK to like different things :)

That's why i said it's not music, i of course am only talking about myself....for me it simply isn't music, i find it beyond terrible and annoys the shit out of me. That said, i CAN appreciate a shitload of different subgenres in hiphop but also in music in general. Hopsin may have a few tracks about teenage anger and what not...but he has good subjects too, namely on his new CD. I can't exactly say the same about Young Thug or Future, or OG Maco, OT Genesis..and all that new school stuff nowadays.

Has absolutely nothing to do with comfort zone. I simply can't stand to listen to that garbage, yes...garbage. For ME it is garbage. You like it, great, more power to you. But i just don't. For Christ's sake, put the mofo in the studio and i bet he can't freestyle for shit. In fact, i remember a video of him trying to freestyle. Laughable. Why am i saying this? Because for me that's yet another reason the guy ain't hiphop. Sorry.

You need to listen to Barter 6, Slime Season 2, Dirty Sprite 2 & What A Time To Be Alive.

Absolutely incredible hip-hop. Slime Season 2 is my 2015 album of the year and Barter 6 is my number 2. Listen loud with headphones. Thugga's voice and the beats (Metro Boomin', London On The Track, Weezy, Goose) that are given to him just marry so, so well and once this music clicks with you, you'll close your eyes and let the music take you to another better place.

Give me a very large glass of Strong Vodka & Red Bull with ice, and a free day the next day. And I'll put on Thugga and my evening is complete.
redbull.jpg

As for the new Puffy album, MMM, it's decent. A solid 7/10 album.

Dude i did all that. I listened to a lot of the songs people kept praising and i had a hard time not simply putting the sound off. It is what it is.

Its southern music. They talk in southern accents using southern lingo. Well really ATL lingo. If you're not from here then you are not expected to understand. The problem is that the south has usually been the most popular region and alot of people copy and bite the flows.

Southern hiphop for me is Outkast, is Scarface, Chamillionaire when he was still making actual music, Young Buck and so on. I guess i clearly don't like the other sounds from the South.

C'mon man, stop with that shit. Who are you to determine what is and isn't music just because you don't like it? That's as bad as when people say "rap (in general) isn't real mhsic". People like the music. I even like Young Thug, and my favourite subgenre of hip hop is 90's boom bap. Not everything has to be in the same lane.

Nowhere do i determine for others that it isn't music though. In my opinion for ME it's not music. It lacks everything that i can consider to begin calling music. We're just never going to agree with eachother and that's fine.

By the way, multiple people mention drinking now that we're talking about this, maybe it wasn't your intention....but i really don't need any drinks to be able to appreciate music. I am pretty sure if i was wasted as hell, which simply doesn't happen often, i'd probably bump my head to it.....but other than that, nah.

Not sold on Thugger at all. But Future is the truth. I remember not liking dude but I respect what he does.

Purple Reign was amazing, btw.

PBY

Banned
By the way, multiple people mention drinking now that we're talking about this, maybe it wasn't your intention....but i really don't need any drinks to be able to appreciate music. I am pretty sure if i was wasted as hell, which simply doesn't happen often, i'd probably bump my head to it.....but other than that, nah.

well there you go

rambis

Banned
That's why i said it's not music, i of course am only talking about myself....for me it simply isn't music, i find it beyond terrible and annoys the shit out of me. That said, i CAN appreciate a shitload of different subgenres in hiphop but also in music in general. Hopsin may have a few tracks about teenage anger and what not...but he has good subjects too, namely on his new CD. I can't exactly say the same about Young Thug or Future, or OG Maco, OT Genesis..and all that new school stuff nowadays.

Has absolutely nothing to do with comfort zone. I simply can't stand to listen to that garbage, yes...garbage. For ME it is garbage. You like it, great, more power to you. But i just don't. For Christ's sake, put the mofo in the studio and i bet he can't freestyle for shit. In fact, i remember a video of him trying to freestyle. Laughable. Why am i saying this? Because for me that's yet another reason the guy ain't hiphop. Sorry.

Dude i did all that. I listened to a lot of the songs people kept praising and i had a hard time not simply putting the sound off. It is what it is.

Southern hiphop for me is Outkast, is Scarface, Chamillionaire when he was still making actual music, Young Buck and so on. I guess i clearly don't like the other sounds from the South.

Nowhere do i determine for others that it isn't music though. In my opinion for ME it's not music. It lacks everything that i can consider to begin calling music. We're just never going to agree with eachother and that's fine.
And to people in the south these are the old heads.

well there you go

So basically i really need to be fucked up as hell and only then i will dig it? Well damn.

It would not surprise me if a lot of people after a few years look back and say...wtf...did i actually listen to this?

But we'll see.

Man with anime avatar doesn't go out and drink.

In other news water is wet.

That's just sad...really sad and totally not necessary.

Yeah, everybody with a anime avatar is like that man. Was to be expected that someone was going to generalize. Maybe i just don't like most alcoholic beverages perhaps?

But i'll say it again, you should not need ANY drinks to be able to appreciate any kind of music.

PBY

Banned

Yeah, everybody with a anime avatar is like that man. Was to be expected that someone was going to generalize. Maybe i just don't like most alcoholic beverages perhaps?

Word, do you man.

What u listening to lately?

Syntsui

But i'll say it again, you should not need ANY drinks to be able to appreciate any kind of music.
What do you think of the new Anderson Paak album btw?

Word, do you man.

What u listening to lately?

Hmmm...lately not a whole lot, definitely not always in the mood for music. But last week i listened to Busta Rhymes: The Return of the Dragon (The Abstract went on vacation) and that was surprisingly dope. Really nice production and for the most part great tracks. I don't know a lot from Busta, but i am planning on checking out his other albums for sure.

Joe Badass - B4.DA.$$
Pusha T - King Push – Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude
Several Outkast albums
Phryme deluxe edition
Joe Budden - All Love Lost
Boosie Badazz: In My Feelings (Goin' Thru It)

Been meaning to check out some Sean Price because friends recommend me to do that, i also want to check out some of Common's music.

Usually i listen to music with my headphones on, so no gaming and nothing else for me then, but from tomorrow on i'll have a very decent Bluetooth speaker and so i can listen to music while gaming as well, i'll be listening a lot more from then on. Got lots of shit i still want to listen to.

Totally unnecessary hawk. Shame.

It's just stupid as fuck is what it is really, simply makes no sense. If we're gonna go that route, two can play that game...but i rather not. I want to keep it cool here.

What do you think of the new Anderson Paak album btw?

Haven't checked it out yet, but i'm not gonna deny that i find his hooks rather annoying on the two tracks from The Game's latest album man. And also on Compton i didn't think too much of it. But i might still check the cd out though.

PBY

Banned
Hmmm...lately not a whole lot, definitely not always in the mood for music. But last week i listened to Busta Rhymes: The Return of the Dragon (The Abstract went on vacation) and that was surprisingly dope. Really nice production and for the most part great tracks. I don't know a lot from Busta, but i am planning on checking out his other albums for sure.

Joe Badass - B4.DA.$$
Pusha T - King Push – Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude
Several Outkast albums
Phryme deluxe edition
Joe Budden - All Love Lost
Boosie Badazz: In My Feelings (Goin' Thru It)

Been meaning to check out some Sean Price because friends recommend me to do that, i also want to check out some of Common's music.

Usually i listen to music with my headphones on, so no gaming and nothing else for me then, but from tomorrow on i'll have a very decent Bluetooth speaker and so i can listen to music while gaming as well, i'll be listening a lot more from then on. Got lots of shit i still want to listen to.

This list... isn't as dusty as I expected.

beanman25

There was a time when I thought Danny Brown could BE something. Not sure what he's doing. Drought too long.

He is allegedly dropping an album this year, I think? I hope.

Drought has been too long. Newest thing I can recall seeing save for a couple random features is that TV theme is does.

Ninja Dom

What new hip-hop can we expect to drop tomorrow?

Where's Des these days too? He hasn't recommended any new hip-hop to us for a couple of weeks now.

This list... isn't as dusty as I expected.

Hmmm, well that's only what i have been listening to last week and the week before it. In 2015 i've checked out all kinds of stuff.

Listened to pretty much every Boot camp clik album, for the first time. The complete discography of The Game, 50 Cent's Kana Tape which i thought was just bad except for one or two tracks, then again it was only 7 songs...so let's see what he brings on that next mixtape. Young Buck's new mixtape was decent, but sadly in my opinion he's just nowhere near as dope as he used to be pre G-Unit. during G-Unit and after G-Unit. Dude released some tracks during those times that were dope as hell.

Freddie Gibbs' new cd, i have to say i need to get used to those new beats. I am used to different beats from him, and for some reason his voice seems different....higher pitch? Yep i can be somewhat picky, but that's ok. Same with jay Rock's latest album, i only like one or two songs, really not fond of his new rapping style and weird voices, just not a fan of that at all. More a fan of his Follow me Home material.

For some reason downloaded this cd from G-Eazy and well....just bad, nothing special. Jeezy also had a rather decent album. So yeah, all kinds of stuff man. Not a lot of the stuff from the old cats, but that's going to change. I got a big collection of hiphop albums, physical copies and i'm going to rip them all and listen to them while gaming, working in the house etc....

Koozek

Hmmm, well that's only what i have been listening to last week and the week before it. In 2015 i've checked out all kinds of stuff.

Listened to pretty much every Boot camp clik album, for the first time. The complete discography of The Game, 50 Cent's Kana Tape which i thought was just bad except for one or two tracks, then again it was only 7 songs...so let's see what he brings on that next mixtape. Young Buck's new mixtape was decent, but sadly in my opinion he's just nowhere near as dope as he used to be pre G-Unit. during G-Unit and after G-Unit. Dude released some tracks during those times that were dope as hell.

Freddie Gibbs' new cd, i have to say i need to get used to those new beats. I am used to different beats from him, and for some reason his voice seems different....higher pitch? Yep i can be somewhat picky, but that's ok. Same with jay Rock's latest album, i only like one or two songs, really not fond of his new rapping style and weird voices, just not a fan of that at all. More a fan of his Follow me Home material.

For some reason downloaded this cd from G-Eazy and well....just bad, nothing special. Jeezy also had a rather decent album. So yeah, all kinds of stuff man. Not a lot of the stuff from the old cats, but that's going to change. I got a big collection of hiphop albums, physical copies and i'm going to rip them all and listen to them while gaming, working in the house etc....

How about the last Slum Village album (was in my Top 3 last year)? Some smooth as hell Dilla and Young RJ beats.

https://play.spotify.com/album/3S3A1qu8bdElWTMM6um47O

Oh, and his different voice and flow is exactly what I love about the new Gibbs. He rides those beats.

CoolOff

Not gonna lie I like Milk and Honey and I Miss That Whip just as much as Might Be.

He also had an EP with Blended Babies that had 4 songs on it last year too.

Milk & Honey is such a good track. Great storytelling. Still haven't had a chance to check out the new album, but I've liked every single he dropped beforehand so I'm sure it's great. The Season/Carry Me was easily top 5 for me last year.

How about the last Slum Village album (was in my Top 3 last year)? Some smooth as hell Dilla and Young RJ beats.

https://play.spotify.com/album/3S3A1qu8bdElWTMM6um47O

Haven't listened to that, but i am always looking for more great hiphop to listen to. I will put this on my list.

How old are you tatsumi? Curious.
Prepping a classic.

If my memory isn't failing me now i've started listening to hiphop when i turned 17. It was all thanks to the PC game Kingpin Life of Crime. It featured some music from Cypress Hill, so basically that game and Cypress brought me into this awesome genre. Sometimes i wish i had discovered Hiphop at a much younger age, but it is what it is.

IrishNinja

drinks? i guess but there's some shit that toking is pretty much half the experience

Get that operation and join the long dicks club breh

i guess bruh
But I'll say it again, you shouldn't need ANY op to be able to appreciate any kind of music.

Vinyl dicks. That red looks so rad.

vinylheads would tell you to stick with plain black for fidelity/etc reasons
...wait shit we still talkin bout records here

beanman25

So, I didn't realize the State of Emergency 3 show here in STL had a lineup yet. Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, and 2 Chainz. I'm assuming a couple more are to be added.

How is Wayne live now? Any chance he does older stuff?

I saw Chainz last year and can probably expect Ross to sound good. Not passing up 35 bucks though.

Aren't you generalizing by lumping all of those artists together and calling them garbage based off a couple of songs? 🤔

I don't believe I am. I didn't listen to just a couple of songs from them, I listened to the full Barter 6 CD, the full DS2 CD, several songs here and there that are considered one of their better tracks. The initial question from me was about Thug and Future, I was curious what the big deal about them was. Based on all that I have heard from these dudes it is garbage to me. That's all it really is.

Also.... what's with the dick jokes here?

Syntsui

I don't believe I am. I didn't listen to just a couple of songs from them, I listened to the full Barter 6 CD, the full DS2 CD, several songs here and there that are considered one of their better tracks. The initial question from me was about Thug and Future, I was curious what the big deal about them was. Based on all that I have heard from these dudes it is garbage to me. That's all it really is.

GAF Hoppers smoke penises, didn't you know?

Koozek

https://soundcloud.com/thoughtitwasadrought/young-thug-long-dicksfeat-travis-scott-pr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom