• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

OVO is a garbage label for artists trying to make an impact with their music. It's great if you're cool with camping and like writing/producing for others.

Warner ended up buying Makonnen out of his OVO deal. He got lucky.

Fjordson

Anyone remember that Drake signed Makonnen? Like wtf why would he sign him and what even was the point really? Do OVO as a label actually do anything apart from being a drake cosign?
OVO outside of Drake is sort of a wasteland. I mean I like Majid Jordan and PND, but they've yet to really pop off in any big way. And yeah, Makonnen was a bizarre signing lol. Apparently he's not even on OVO anymore?

Their last two signings are pretty good in Roy Woods and dvsn (especially dvsn). Hopefully they can actually do something on the label.

OVO exists to write hits for Drake. It's like if Berry Gordy gave every song written for The Temptations, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, etc to the Jackson 5.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Drake is basically attempting to sign anybody out of Toronto or could be a potential writer (in that they're in the vein of his style).

It's working pretty poorly because they're not getting any of the resources (marketing, production) from the label that you would get at, say, G.O.O.D.. Pretty much just signing soundcloud acts and giving them a deal that functions as a spotlight and cosign more than an actual deal.

In theory, I'm not mad at that for artists who have nothing going for them already as long as they're not locked down or garnished unreasonably (I don't think so), but if the best traction they've got are some mediocre PND tapes then..

DominoKid

OVO is a garbage label for artists trying to make an impact with their music. It's great if you're cool with camping and like writing/producing for others.

Warner ended up buying Makonnen out of his OVO deal. He got lucky.

damn I like Makonnen but i wouldnt sign him with somebody elses money let alone my own. his value mustve been in the gutter.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffff,

Forgot to cancel TIDAL today. $19.99 gone & never coming back
because I live in the U.S.

image.php

Jay got another lost soul

IrishNinja

Nah. It's been around for at least 10 years or so. I used to live in basically the same area where Denzel Curry is from.(bordering city) It's really common in North Miami/South Broward.

Edit: Actually it is on urbandictionary as well lol. The first definition is correct.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gookin

damn...i'm from south-as-fuck dade, out west now but this was literally the first time ive heard that shit, haha

overcast

Lito killed this one 🙏🏻
Kendrick sold 143k (182k including streams)

Wayne and 2 Chainz sold 35k (51k including streams)

Good numbers for Kendrick. Unmastered demos with no promotion doing almost 200k first week.

I thought Wayne being invokved would boost Collegrove's numbers. Guess not.
really nice numbers for Kendrick. Might even go gold over time. Terrible numbers for 2Chainz.
fffffffffffffffffffffffffff,

Forgot to cancel TIDAL today. $19.99 gone & never coming back
because I live in the U.S.
HIFI.
SUPPORTING ARTISTS.
Good for you man.

Ninja Dom

I do from this album though. Kano knows what he's talking about and he fully and openly displays himself, his culture, his ends, his people and his city throughout. It's not just very British, it's very London.

If there's more grime records like this then i'm in, it's fucking brilliant. Give it a good few listens and let me know what you think of it.

Thanks. That's all I need. Downloading this now!!

Woah, this is crazy.

These guys blowing up, got above 20 mil views on some videos. Do they get big radio play in France? That'd be interesting given how melancholic their vibe seems to be.
Thanks. That's all I need. Downloading this now!!

Is right Dom. I had another full listen through again this morning. Shit is greatness.

MoodyFog

These guys blowing up, got above 20 mil views on some videos. Do they get big radio play in France? That'd be interesting given how melancholic their vibe seems to be.

They don't really play the radio game as the article says but they're getting more and more play on it yeah, and they got big co-signs so their first two albums did pretty well.

Their style is already getting copied by others but it'll be interesting to see how long they can keep up.

Ninja Dom

So...errrr...this...ummm...2 Chainz album, Collegrove.

I like it, it's good.

And Trappavelli Tre was crap except for that BFF song.

Guys, listen to the new Flatbush Zombies album, it's more than good, it's great. As someone who just discovered them a week or so ago I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it is.

Yeah it is this my first project from them as well crazy tbh because a year ago a friend of mine bought me tickets to their concert here in Houston it was pretty wild I remember moshing a lot.

OVO outside of Drake is sort of a wasteland. I mean I like Majid Jordan and PND, but they've yet to really pop off in any big way. And yeah, Makonnen was a bizarre signing lol. Apparently he's not even on OVO anymore?

Their last two signings are pretty good in Roy Woods and dvsn (especially dvsn). Hopefully they can actually do something on the label.

Honestly I would never sign to OVO if I was an up and coming artist. Shit is like the new age Bad Boy. That's where you go to watch your career die.

I mean when you think of all these mega-artist created labels, laugh all you want but G.O.O.D. seems to be the only label where you'll make decent money and as long as you're a decent artist you can get music out. Not sure why Cyhi has yet to drop an album, I stay with the theory that dude's output is abysmal and it takes him forever.

Everything else is a crapshoot really. Ross doesn't seem interested in signing anyone else, which can be seen as smart. Drake just seems to be signing anyone who sounds like him, gives them like 75,000-100,000 for signing with him then lets them write for him.

Could be worse...you could always sign to Dreamville.

Honestly I would never sign to OVO if I was an up and coming artist. Shit is like the new age Bad Boy. That's where you go to watch your career die.

I mean when you think of all these mega-artist created labels, laugh all you want but G.O.O.D. seems to be the only label where you'll make decent money and as long as you're a decent artist you can get music out. Not sure why Cyhi has yet to drop an album, I stay with the theory that dude's output is abysmal and it takes him forever.

Everything else is a crapshoot really. Ross doesn't seem interested in signing anyone else, which can be seen as smart. Drake just seems to be signing anyone who sounds like him, gives them like 75,000-100,000 for signing with him then lets them write for him.

Could be worse...you could always sign to Dreamville.
For all the shit TDE deservedly gets, they've managed to churn out a superstar in Kendrick and another star in Q in pretty quick succession.
Isaiah's following seems to be rapidly growing. Soul fell off, SZA has a ton of potential too and got more exposure when she renegaded Rihanna on Consideration.
But Jay Rock, Rashad, SZA and even Soul are definitely eating in that indie market which is more than what can be said about the OVO artists.

-Some people think OVO is just Drake's clothing brand,

-MMG is in pretty good shape I'd think. Ross' roster has Wale,Meek,Omarion & French(I think he's signed to bad boy,mmg and Interscope) who can get radio plays and in Meek and Wale's case, sell good numbers

Tokubetsu

Drake just taking classic plays out of Jay Z's book. Sign em, get them to write and produce your shit that year or two. Give them a RT/IG shout out then they're on their own for their release that maybe has one verse from you.

Years later when interviewers ask you about so and so you can say "oh well i geuss they werent hungry enough" or "I tried!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom