• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I thought. Courage confused me, unless he has another project by the name of Planet Shrooms
Planet Shrooms wasn't that great really, 32 Zel was the side that did most of the heavy lifting on that project. This is more concise with a higher density of tracks I fuck with.

If I could separate his last project, it'd be:

32 Zel > Imperial > Planet Shrooms > N64

Some naaaasty bars on the new Flatbush Zombies album.
RealBareCentipede.gif

IrishNinja

when's views from the 6 already

this and the Open Mike Eagle/Paul White collab are coming out the same day

a backpacker's paradise
DPPF7HG.png

yeah, ill hit these up

It's Florida slang for being high apparently but yeah it still sounds awkward.

this some urbandictionary shit? me and my minority friends never hear this around the skating rink

It's not a derogatory term towards all Asians though.

sure maybe not but not an argument id wanna be outchea making all the same

What do you think of this Kano record? I've had it on repeat for a few days and it's definitely my album of the year so far, i can't get enough of it. Knew i was onto a winner when i heard the singles and the album delivers in spades. Some random thoughts on it..

The production is utterly ridiculous from front to back, and properly varied. It sounds more like a grime record in spirit rather than sound for most part to me, as in a lot of the beats sound more grime influenced rather than outright grime.

Kano kills it. I thought his flow was kinda off and weird in places but on repeat listens i've really grown into his rhythm, style, and personality. He gets himself and his thoughts and emotions across very clearly on record. Likeable dude.

No duds, Charlie wasn't lying. The bonus track with JME is comfortably the weakest but..bonus track. I'm really enjoying everything else.

Hail, New Banger, 3 Wheels up. Fire. Fire. Fire. The Grime-e-est tunes on here and i fucks with all 3 massively. That Wiley verse really elevates the album over the single version of 3 wheels up. I'm not sure i'm ready for a whole record with this type of sound but i'm definitely readier. All 3 of these tunes get me fucking up

That last verse on T-shirt Weather in the Manor. Yes.

Little Sis.

I wonder if you know who i am
I wonder if you tell your friends that we're fam
I wonder if you're listening to this
Even though you must have grown all big, this one's for my little sis

*doooo do da doooooooooooooooooooooooooo*

Yes

Deep Blue - This beat. Lawd.

Endz - Might just be my favourite track so far this year.

Strangers is a great story track and My Sound is the perfect triumphant ending to the album. The only problems i'm having is there's quite a few references to grime things/people so i don't know what he's on about, nitpicking tho. Overall this will take some topping for me this year.

Is there any other Kano/Grime records you'd recommend given i like this? I tried having a look through Kano's older stuff and immediately trod in shit.

Dereck

I retract my previous statement about the new Flatbush project. I listened to it again, towards the middle of the album, it goes on this brief "break" period, and the group changes up their flows using slower and more melodic choruses and raps, it was really on point. I was used to that more fast paced rapping that they used to do like The Underachievers. They've slowed down their flow a bit and have replaced the rapid style rapping with more variety so that their bars can stand out more.

OG Kush

Fakeknowledge, are you from the UK?

I haven't heard the album yet man (apart from the signles), been slacking! Definitely will give it a listen this weekend. Also yeah... there was a time when in grime when it was big to do those dance pop type songs. I'm glad that phase has passed, but I did give us the undeniably cheesey but fun summer banger from Wiley:
Wiley - Heatwave

In terms of Kano's older records, you definitely need to listen to his first album "Home Sweet Home". It's a grime/UK rap classic. It gave us a Grime hall of fame tune:
Kano - P's and Q's
Another big tune from the album: Kano - Brown Eyes

After reading The Guardian's article on the his new album: Kano: 'Grime is a battle culture... we shouldn't dumb ourselves down' , it's really hyped me to listen to it. I also agree with him that UK Grime may be too battle and rave centric, not every bar should be designed to get a reload in the rave and artists need to move towards creating fuller projects. Some choice quotes:
Hip-hop was rebellious towards us as well: ‘You lot aren’t rappers, you’re MCs.’ We were like: ‘Fuck that, we’ll do our own thing, we’ll break all the rules.’” Grime became more than the sum of these parts: a staggeringly futurist sound of ice-burned synths, collapsing rhythms and ferocious lyrics.
But if grime has learned not to act nouveau riche, it’s still solipsistic. Last year’s two biggest tracks, Skepta’s Shutdown and Stormzy’s Shut Up, were excellent, but cleaved to the style’s two central themes of self-aggrandisement and the dismissal of rivals. “That’s in the DNA of an MC – we come from a battle culture,” Kano says. “But grime holds itself back from broader issues, and the people involved are able to speak on more stuff. People would respect their perspective but they don’t give it often enough. They dumb down, keeping it old-school: doing the one-liners, doing it how it was when we didn’t know how to be better. But as you get better, you should show that. It can’t all be nostalgic and retro.”

I'm happy though about this new resurgence in grime and taking it back to its DIY and punk roots. Also they're understanding to keep it British. Yes learn from the US Hip Hop scene, but don't lose what makes Grime unique. Its a UK ting.

Nyx

Just bought tickets to a Cypress Hill concert here in Utrecht in June, can't wait!

Last time I saw them live was over 20 years ago, will be a bit strange to see B-Real, Muggs etc while they're almost 50 years old now, but I hope they still got it.

this some urbandictionary shit? me and my minority friends never hear this around the skating rink

Nah. It's been around for at least 10 years or so. I used to live in basically the same area where Denzel Curry is from.(bordering city) It's really common in North Miami/South Broward.

Edit: Actually it is on urbandictionary as well lol. The first definition is correct.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gookin

Yeah man UK, northern lad. I had Home Sweet Home but i think i'll have to get it again as i can't find it. Think i chucked it out y'know lol.

That article is a good read, that second quote makes a lot of sense after listening to the album a good few times. I agree on those Skepta and Stormzy tunes, when i see people hyping those guys and those tunes as the best the scene has to offer i'm like..ehhhh. I mean they're alright but they're a bit basic and disposable to me. I don't get a sense of any kind of unique culture from those tunes.

I do from this album though. Kano knows what he's talking about and he fully and openly displays himself, his culture, his ends, his people and his city throughout. It's not just very British, it's very London.

3 of the 4 first tracks are the more typical Grime bangers (although extremely good and lyrically captivating ones) and then the album grows and evolves into something much more meaningful, personal and hopefully seminal as he's been saying.

If there's more grime records like this then i'm in, it's fucking brilliant. Give it a good few listens and let me know what you think of it.

HiResDes

As fans of Travis and PartyNextDoor I don't know why Enzo and Dom aren't talking about this album at all:

amir-obe-happening-in-the-grey-area-2015-billboard-embed.jpg

...I don't love it, but it has some cuts no doubts.

PBY

Banned
As fans of Travis and PartyNextDoor I don't know why Enzo and Dom aren't talking about this album at all:

amir-obe-happening-in-the-grey-area-2015-billboard-embed.jpg

...I don't love it, but it has some cuts no doubts.

I like it, he just dropped an ep no? Also I think I'm the biggest new toronto fan here tbh

Kendrick sold 143k (182k including streams)

Wayne and 2 Chainz sold 35k (51k including streams)

Good numbers for Kendrick. Unmastered demos with no promotion doing almost 200k first week.

I thought Wayne being invokved would boost Collegrove's numbers. Guess not.

OG Kush

Anyone remember that Drake signed Makonnen? Like wtf why would he sign him and what even was the point really? Do OVO as a label actually do anything apart from being a drake cosign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom