• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind going into a bit of detail? His delivery remains the same, I agree, but it's still a tightly produced project.
Planet Shrooms is just so varied and cohesive. This new project is good, but he has definitely done better before. I don't know what this project is, but it doesn't carry the same weight nor does it differentiate as much as his albums do. I still like it and Denzel will always get a listen from me. Flying Nimbus and ULT are fucking great too.

Courage

Planet Shrooms wasn't that great really, 32 Zel was the side that did most of the heavy lifting on that project. This is more concise with a higher density of tracks I fuck with.

If I could separate his last project, it'd be:

32 Zel > Imperial > Planet Shrooms > N64

Tokubetsu

this kodi shane

hez8bHi.gif

Planet Shrooms wasn't that great really, 32 Zel was the side that did most of the heavy lifting on that project. This is more concise with a higher density of tracks I fuck with.

If I could separate his last project, it'd be:

32 Zel > Imperial > Planet Shrooms > N64
Planet Shrooms is demon outkast shit and is overshadowed by 32 Zel for sure, but it is still great. Very atmospheric side to the album that is missing in 32 Zel.

T Dollarz

I'm surprised nobody fucked with Nostalgic 64 like that. I loved how eerie and dark that tape was.

But yeah, 32 Zel was >>>> than Planet Shrooms

Koozek

Listening to 32 Zel / Planet Shrooms, too. Great so far, I'm at Planet now. Sounds pretty different to the new one. The first track from Planet almost sounds like old OutKast. Semi-EDIT: LOL, the second I posted I heard Big Rube's voice coming on. NICE.

overcast

The last 4 tracks beg to differ.
Gonna agree with Courage. Really feeling this project even if it's not as thematic as 32 Zel/Planet Shrooms. Although this is a very riot driven, fuck the prison system album.

Only just spun through it a few times though. Really liking it. Not sure about naming a song Gook tho.

HiResDes

I didn't say it was all around terrible but I think people generally underrate both N64 and 32 Zel /Planet Shrooms, which are much more well rounded eclectic projects. Denzel Curry can rap really fast but when he does he falls into this really monotone cadence and his lyricism sometimes goes out the window relying on bombasticity and loudness rather than anything truly poetic with the exception of standout tracks like Ultimate. Rappers like DA$H and Freddie Gibbs have an innate knack for being able to trim and alter a line so that it's all fairly in meter and flows well whereas sometimes when Denzel is rapping his lines sound rather incongruous and the somewhat corny battle grime sounding bars standout tenfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom