• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eos

His trash discography makes him nowhere near goat status
no classic albums
majority of his work is filled with corny and angsty songs/lyrics
only a handful of good songs
what's the argument other than he is a great technical rapper

If we gonna get into who's fan base is for who then I'll lose the argument. Sure Gucci started off with what I'd say is a primarily black fan base but nowadays:

video_image-443785.jpg

I would argue that M always resonated hard with angry white kids. That on top of the post above mine makes him worth zilch to me. Plus I've dealt with enough people telling me "see rapping isn't hard a white guy is better at it than most black dudes".

I wanted to clarify one thing... We are all just taking the piss when we say Eminem isn't the GOAT, right? I mean, seriously? I can't tell half the time. I dunno, I consider myself to be pretty well versed in rap, but I have been listening to The Eminem Show recently and it's just impossible to ignore the immense amount of talent. Top three for sure.

are you white

DominoKid

If we gonna get into who's fan base is for who then I'll lose the argument. Sure Gucci started off with what I'd say is a primarily black fan base but nowadays:

I would argue that M always resonated hard with angry white kids. That on top of the post above mine makes him worth zilch to me. Plus I've dealt with enough people telling me "see rapping isn't hard a white guy is better at it than most black dudes".

Everybody loves Gucci.

A good rapper makes good music. I don't care about bars if I don't connect with that. I don't like rock solos that don't add to the overall song, in the same way a mean 16 does nothing.

Team dicks. Team purple.

Exactly. I thought Em was alright when I was younger, but I can't really vibe to him these days. I don't think it's just the lyrical content because I can listen to older Tyler/Earl just fine. A lot of his shit just doesn't sound good.

Everybody loves Gucci.

Facts.

overcast

I guess Eminem makes some (NOT ALL or most) black people feel inadequate in the same way Larry Bird did. Can't we just admit Eminem is one of the greats and move on? No need to denigrate the man for having lyrical content that doesn't appeal to your worldview.
😳

Em is pretty corny, can't remember the last time I listened to one of his songs and had it resonate with me.

Kelsdesu

Em is one of the greats lyrically . What I never liked was his choice of beats. I can't think of one that has ever stood out to me.

injurai

Banned
Em is great because he did something different that hadn't been done. But he doesn't take up some limited number of slots for greatness. There are more greats than you can't count on all the hands that have been in Erykah Badu.

Em is great because he did something different that hadn't been done. But he doesn't take up some limited number of slots for greatness. There are more greats than you can't count on all the hands that have been in Erykah Badu.

I'll take 3 Stacks and Com over Em everyday of the week b. Their discographies are far superior.

Eminem is a rap god. 'Nuff said. First three albums are amazing, Marshall Mathers LP is one of the greatest rap albums of all time.

Also, Gucci Mane is shit.

Even then, the whole thing with Eminem I think is less about his actual music and more about Eminem as a symbol of such bullshit as "I don't like rap, but I love Eminem". Plus let's face it, his shit objectively did not age well at all.

Wut?

Anyway, time for some Young Jeezy.

Can't remember the last time i heard anyone listening to Eminem

no classic albums

Agreed. His best album overall is The Eminem Show imo and whilst it's undeniable on a technical level (whether you rate the lyrics themselves or not) most of the beats really haven't aged well at all.

The SSLP and MMLP feel like more pop culture classics rather than hip-hop classics to me, if i were to come up with a list of records for somebody getting into hip-hop i wouldn't have either of them anywhere near it. They haven't aged especially well either and his flow on them at times is outright bad. The rest of his discography is disposable.

It's a shame really because he is madly talented, early to mid 2000's he was killing a lot of guest spots and he dropped a lot of great diss tracks against Ja an them but it's not something you could give him GOAT status for.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I like the sample at the end but most of the song is corny as fuck. Expect to hear this shit in a trailer for a melissa McCarthy movie soon

Also Eminem is an excellent technical rapper but I can't call him a GOAT when he only has 3 good albums with a lot of aged content

I liked how much raw emotion he put into that shit and I still think they are good albums tbh. But man some of that has aged like garbage. Some embarrassing ass lyrics too

I see the word "aged" being thrown a lot, and it's not just specifically pertaining to Eminem's early output. What does this mean in terms of Rap music, anyway? I don't really see it when it comes to a lot of rap.

Honestly, is this always a bad thing? Personally, one thing why I like about New School Hip Hop (starting 1983/1984) is that it sounds specifically from that time, and like it could never been made at any other time. I dunno, I like music that can serve a capsule of a certain time, and not as Nostalgia, either.

No I mean it literally aged. Like only an 8 year old can listen to ass like that or his weird ass songs about raping/killing his ex wife and mom without realizing wtf lol

Rap's usually sex and violence and whatever but some of his tracks sound absurd now. I think his non humorous and non Kim related stuff from his early career is still good tho

I think stan and way I am are genuinely great songs for example

No I mean it literally aged. Like only an 8 year old can listen to ass like that or his weird ass songs about raping/killing his ex wife and mom without realizing wtf lol

I guess?!

I dunno, I think Eminem's music is far more compelling as I get older, but I guess I can see where you are coming from. Sometimes, music just doesn't sound that great as you age and you have different issues/areas of your life. I remember being a big fan of guys like The Offspring, but now I find their music to be pretty passe and dull.

I guess?!

I dunno, I think Eminem's music is far more compelling as I get older, but I guess I can see where you are coming from. Sometimes, music just doesn't sound that great as you age and you have different issues/areas of your life. I remember being a big fan of guys like The Offspring, but now I find their music to be pretty passe and dull.

Don't you know what felch means? (yeah), well then tell me would you rather get felched or do the felching
Fuck him in the ass, suck the cum out while you're belching
Burp, belch, then go back for a second helping Can you dig what I'm sayin' man, can you smell me?
I want you to feel me like my stepfather felt me

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I see the word "aged" being thrown a lot, and it's not just specifically pertaining to Eminem's early output. What does this mean in terms of Rap music, anyway? I don't really see it when it comes to a lot of rap.

Honestly, is this always a bad thing? Personally, one thing why I like about New School Hip Hop (starting 1983/1984) is that it sounds specifically from that time, and like it could never been made at any other time. I dunno, I like music that can serve a capsule of a certain time, and not as Nostalgia, either.
Aged is basically the inverse of timeless.

Stuff can represent an era like you note without aging poorly. Dipset singles throughout the 00s is a good example. Anthems then, anthems now.

This song kind of slaps tho

More like:

No more games, I'ma change what you call rage
Tear this motherfuckin' roof off like two dogs caged
I was playing in the beginning, the mood all changed
I've been chewed up and spit out and booed off stage
But I kept rhyming and stepped right in the next cypher
Best believe somebody's paying the Pied Piper
All the pain inside amplified by the
Fact that I can't get by with my nine-to-
Five and I can't provide the right type of
Life for my family, cause man, these God damn
Food stamps don't buy diapers, and there's no movie
There's no Mekhi Phifer, this is my life
And these times are so hard, and it's getting even harder
Tryna feed and water my seed plus, teeter-totter
Caught up between being a father and a prima donna
Baby momma drama, screaming on her too much for me to wanna
Stay in one spot, another day of monotony
Has gotten me to the point, I'm like a snail, I've got
To formulate a plot, or end up in jail or shot
Success is my only motherfuckin' option - failure's not
Mom, I love you but this trailer's got to go
I cannot grow old in Salem's Lot
So here I go it's my shot, feet: fail me not
This may be the only opportunity that I got

Aged is basically the inverse of timeless.

Stuff can represent an era like you note without aging poorly. Dipset singles throughout the 00s is a good example. Anthems then, anthems now.

This song kind of slaps tho

Yeah, it's definitely depending on the listener, for sure. I dunno, I feel that when you represent an era, this means the trappings of that era will be intact. Ultimately, it's up to you whether or not you think it's aged poorly or not.

Vorheez

I guess Eminem makes some (NOT ALL or most) black people feel inadequate in the same way Larry Bird did. Can't we just admit Eminem is one of the greats and move on? No need to denigrate the man for having lyrical content that doesn't appeal to your worldview.
This has to have something to do with it. I comment on this later.

I'm sorry mama, I never meant to hurt you
Knew you were a closet fan

no classic albums

You think it's corny/angsty? I think it's funny/passionate.

You don't identify with it, which is ok, but does that make it bad? No. A lot of people seem to get this twisted; they think, "ah shit, this dude is rapping about personal issues I don't relate with, must be trash and anyone who listens to it doesn't understand (insert genre)." It's funny, because you damn well know you got another guy mirroring what you're saying with "all that rappers talk about these days is bitches and money. What happened to real hip hop?" It's the same circular argument. It's childish bullshit.

I don't like TPAB. Not because Kendrick is a bad artist, or because the album is bad, but because I don't identify with the subject matter. I have never lived the life that he talks about in his lyrics; I don't understand the experiences. I can still view the music from an outside perspective as something special, but I won't belittle myself by calling it crap and judging the people who appreciate/enjoy it.

See, there it is. It doesn't have as much to do with Em himself as an artist, but rather your prior experiences about how people portray Em. Your retaliation is at the hands of his fanbase and allowing them to influence your judgements instead of making your own. All artists have shitty fans.

Everybody loves Gucci.

This is true.

Good point, we don't necessarily need to rank them. I'm just tired of people shitting on Em because he raps about his mom.

are you white

are you white
Fuck is this bullshit?

Yes, I am white. Does that invalidate what I'm saying? Do my opinions on rap music not apply because of my skin color? You're revealing more about your reasons for disliking Em in those garbage comments than I would ever need to point out. The real reason Eminem can never be meaningfully discussed is because of all the subtle racist bullshit that goes on in the process. I know it's hard to avoid because I am proposing the idea that a white guy can be the best at a predominately black genre, but if I went around asking if members were black to invalidate their opinions on a discussion I would be hung out to dry.

Let's be real here. How much of the disdain for Eminem is because of his skin color? No fuckin' around, let's be men about this. I'm seeing some iffy reasons for why he isn't being considered one of the greats. My three favorite artists, Brotha Lynch Hung, Lloyd Banks, and Redman have all said numerous times that Em is one of the greatest ever to do it. I remember Game distinctly saying that Em is the only dude you don't wanna beef with. All your favorite artists give Em his credit. Why can't we do the same? What's our problem?

illadelph

SSLP, MMLP, and The Eminem Show (the best) are incredible.

I love Infinite, Relapse, and Recovery as well.

Em is one of the greatest; it's just that his fanbase is one of the worst. I think there are a lot of people who are very vocal about disliking him to counteract his very loud and annoying fans haha

gonna post Business because it never gets mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom