• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
WFkd24n.jpg

Shit made me laugh, doubly so after hearing the actual song.

joell-domingo-thh-450x450.jpg

Joell Ortiz - That's Hip-Hop album stream.

@ that cover, joell pls

This is what happens when you don't pay the designer and your boy promises he can produce that hotness.

This might be the greatest cover of all time. Also, the music is dope. Professor Griff and Day One (fire emoji).

dance music is crazy. love the indian music and western guitars.

this whole thing feels like an alchemist project. between that and the cover art he chose i'm definitely looking out for this dude.

SKINNER!

Banned
Y'all deliberately hush hush about Hopsin pulling the plug on Funk Volume or has it already been talked about? Just found out and shit is hilarious!

Dereck

Y'all deliberately hush hush about Hopsin pulling the plug on Funk Volume or has it already been talked about? Just found out and shit is hilarious!
I suppose that the majority of us do not care enough to mention it. Speaking for myself though, I heard about it and I didn't think much of it.

Vorheez

I wanted to clarify one thing... We are all just taking the piss when we say Eminem isn't the GOAT, right? I mean, seriously? I can't tell half the time. I dunno, I consider myself to be pretty well versed in rap, but I have been listening to The Eminem Show recently and it's just impossible to ignore the immense amount of talent. Top three for sure.

MoodyFog

I wanted to clarify one thing... We are all just taking the piss when we say Eminem isn't the GOAT, right? I mean, seriously? I can't tell half the time. I dunno, I consider myself to be pretty well versed in rap, but I have been listening to The Eminem Show recently and it's just impossible to ignore the immense amount of talent. Top three for sure.

lol

Dereck

Even parts of the The Eminem Show kind of drag. I agree that his first few albums are nothing less than good, but I feel like Eminem is a great rapper who doesn't usually make great albums.

Ninja Dom

Even parts of the The Eminem Show kind of drag. I agree that his first few albums are nothing less than good, but I feel like Eminem is a great rapper who doesn't usually make great albums.

That's the thing I realised a long time with hip hop.

A truly great rapper doesn't necessarily make truly great albums (Eminem, Nas, Rakim, Canibus).

An average, basic rapper can make incredible albums (Jim Jones in the 2000's, Future, Old Dirty Bastard, DMX).

One thing that helps an album stand out is charisma. Eminem's first three albums are full of charisma. His Slim Shady alter ego is extremely fun to listen to. The earlier rhymes are far more enjoyable to late 2000's shouty Eminem. Old Dirty is the same, Nigga Please is an absolutely fantastic album. As basic as his rhymes are, he's so full of personality that you can't help but love it.

Nowadays I feel that Young Thug is one of the few rappers nowadays who's having fun with his music. Singing, rapping, making noises and just having a good time. His personality comes through on his songs.

Kwixotik

I still like The Slim Shady LP, but I don't know of many others who will admit to that. I do agree Eminem is up there as far as technical skills, but not in the running as far as artistry and whole projects go.

Even then, the whole thing with Eminem I think is less about his actual music and more about Eminem as a symbol of such bullshit as "I don't like rap, but I love Eminem". Plus let's face it, his shit objectively did not age well at all.

Eos

200w.gif

Used to fuck with his music when I was younger but when I go back to listen to his early shit (new em is straight trash) it's just so cringy. Like some of the lines and song concepts are so childish that I can't even go thru a full listen. It's music made for (mostly white) angsty male teenagers backed by dre beats. He has immense lyrical talent but can't put it together to make good albums (and songs in general), which is why I can't consider him to be near the all time list.

Vorheez

Something funny? Dickhead.

A truly great rapper doesn't necessarily make truly great albums (Eminem, Nas, Rakim, Canibus).

An average, basic rapper can make incredible albums (Jim Jones in the 2000's, Future, Old Dirty Bastard, DMX).

One thing that helps an album stand out is charisma. Eminem's first three albums are full of charisma. His Slim Shady alter ego is extremely fun to listen to. The earlier rhymes are far more enjoyable to late 2000's shouty Eminem. Old Dirty is the same, Nigga Please is an absolutely fantastic album. As basic as his rhymes are, he's so full of personality that you can't help but love it.

Nowadays I feel that Young Thug is one of the few rappers nowadays who's having fun with his music. Singing, rapping, making noises and just having a good time. His personality comes through on his songs.

Thats a good point, I never considered charisma. I think that has a lot to do with Drake's current popularity as well. Is it really fair to use that to detract from his talent, though? I always feel like, when dealing with Em, people always try and deflect. People seem to want to attribute Em's talent to anything and everything other than just his raw talent. "Em is good, yeah, but because of A, B, or C." I mean, the dude makes rapping seem so easy and effortless while also playing with some of the most intricate wordplay ever. Yeah, he's had some few godawful albums, but your discography doesn't always correlate with ability to rap. Judge according to the high points.

Who can rap better than Em? According to the highs of both artists?

I still like The Slim Shady LP, but I don't know of many others who will admit to that. I do agree Eminem is up there as far as technical skills, but not in the running as far as artistry and whole projects go.

Even then, the whole thing with Eminem I think is less about his actual music and more about Eminem as a symbol of such bullshit as "I don't like rap, but I love Eminem". Plus let's face it, his shit objectively did not age well at all.
Yeah, see, the first part is kind of what I was getting at. The second part is an excellent point as well, but begins to deflect like I mentioned before. Is he the best or not? If not, who is better and why? According to technical merits alone. And I disagree, I think MMLP and Eminem Show aged well. No way to determine that objectively though, and likely a personal bias.

Vorheez

200w.gif

Used to fuck with his music when I was younger but when I go back to listen to his early shit (new em is straight trash) it's just so cringy. Like some of the lines and song concepts are so childish that I can't even go thru a full listen. It's music made for (mostly white) angsty male teenagers backed by dre beats. He has immense lyrical talent but can't put it together to make good albums (and songs in general), which is why I can't consider him to be near the all time list.

Eminem has always been in the same category as ICP for me. Cornball music for angst filled white kids.
Oh really? Alright guys. And what type of music is Gucci "meant" for Richard? Or even Busta? Or, do we all know where this conversation is inevitably going? Best not to go there.

Threw up in my mouth a little.

PBY

Banned
A good rapper makes good music. I don't care about bars if I don't connect with that. I don't like rock solos that don't add to the overall song, in the same way a mean 16 does nothing.

Team dicks. Team purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom