• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Dollarz

I think it's safe for me to say that if anybody could top the first three song introduction to the new Hamburger Helper EP I would be really fucking impressed. That project is just so much YESSS.

IrishNinja

adds character, you didn't just drop 30+ bucks on some record store day reissue

True, but lemme not front like I didn't cup a few of those too, haha
For real, I love that stuff from his early days is not only tagged with his DJ name on the jackets (he had mad shit debo'd in ghetto clubs) but also RPMs to help his mixes, haha. He was my neighbor on the block & we grew up together so I love the history here.

Lovely collection.

I've abandoned hip-hop for a while though and I'm just trying to scoop up folk and soul because I think they sound so fucking good on vinyl.

Thanks Des - and yeah I'm getting mote other genre stuff these days, but to me, clasic Preemo/Pete rock/etc type sampled shit just sounds so nice on wax, can't get enough of that

Hitting this up tonight - my girl has that satellite radio and half the fun for me is this one station with ed lover & people shooting the shit on old shows

VFT6 Cover is just the Summer Sixteen cover with inverted colors
CfYevm6WAAEtbib.jpg
At approximately 8:20PM local time, a projection appeared in London's central area of Covent Garden, showing the above image on the side of the Royal Opera House. Island Records has confirmed to The FADER that this is the official cover image for Drake's fourth studio album. It's also the same cover art as his recent single “Summer Sixteen,” but with the colors reversed.

http://www.thefader.com/2016/04/06/drake-views-from-the-6-cover-art-reveal-london
im thinking the ktt double album theory is gonna be true

Update: The London projections show art used to "tease the album release," and are "100% not the album artwork," a U.K. rep for Drake's label, Universal Republic, said. The same rep previously suggested the projections would unveil official album artwork. "Sorry about any miscommunication," they said. We are, too.
lol

Floridian

http://pitchfork.com/news/57640-drakes-views-from-the-6-coming-at-the-end-of-the-month/

Drake's long-promised album Views From the 6 is scheduled to be released at the end of the month, Pitchfork has been informed. This reaffirms his January "OVO Sound Radio" announcement that the album would be out in April. Earlier today, The Fader reported that an image projected onto the side of London's Royal Opera House was the cover artwork. However, Pitchfork has confirmed that it is not the cover art, but, rather, a reminder that the album is coming. The image is the same one that's on the "Summer Sixteen" single art, which was designed by Filip Pagowski (of Commes des Garçons fame)

Kinda glad that's not the real cover.

What are your power rankings for 2016 thus far? This is based on released projects (mixtapes, EPs, or albums) as well as singles/song releases.

1. Young Thug:

SS3 is one of the most impressive glimpses of the future of rapping. I really don't believe anyone is on his level right now. And let's not forget I'm Up, which was also a solid project.

2. Kanye West

When was the last time a rapper in his late 30s released a project as powerful as TLOP? Some might view the rollout as chaotic or contradictory but I have found the entire process to be visionary. I never got to see Picasso paint a picture live, but in 2016 let us watch him paint a masterpiece and even asked for our input.

3. Future

I took some slack for saying I wasn't big on DS2 but Future won me back with Purple Reign and EVOL. EVOL is going to be a blueprint for "pop trap" over the next years. While perhaps you could say Future has gotten a bit lazier in some ways (delivery, flows), he is growing as an artist and his melodies are only getting better.

4. Ramriddlz

Like Lil B before him, Ramriddlz isn't for everyone, but everyone will feel him one day. He is not the perfect avatar for his wave yet it flows through his veins nonetheless, and it's up to others (Drake?) to package it better. One day we're going to thank him.

5. Kevin Gates

Arguably the second best rapper in rap today behind Thug. But whereas Thug has largely created his own style and evolved the genre, Gates is perfecting the traditional rap flow. Dust heads take note: Gates is better than your favorite rapper. I dare you to listen to Really Really and then listen to Elzhi or whatever else passes as satisfactory among dust purists. Once again a humble man from Louisiana is outrapping your favorite New York rappers.

Bacon

What are your power rankings for 2016 thus far? This is based on released projects (mixtapes, EPs, or albums) as well as singles/song releases.

1. Young Thug:

SS3 is one of the most impressive glimpses of the future of rapping. I really don't believe anyone is on his level right now. And let's not forget I'm Up, which was also a solid project.

2. Kanye West

When was the last time a rapper in his late 30s released a project as powerful as TLOP? Some might view the rollout as chaotic or contradictory but I have found the entire process to be visionary. I never got to see Picasso paint a picture live, but in 2016 let us watch him paint a masterpiece and even asked for our input.

3. Future

I took some slack for saying I wasn't big on DS2 but Future won me back with Purple Reign and EVOL. EVOL is going to be a blueprint for "pop trap" over the next years. While perhaps you could say Future has gotten a bit lazier in some ways (delivery, flows), he is growing as an artist and his melodies are only getting better.

4. Ramriddlz

Like Lil B before him, Ramriddlz isn't for everyone, but everyone will feel him one day. He is not the perfect avatar for his wave yet it flows through his veins nonetheless, and it's up to others (Drake?) to package it better. One day we're going to thank him.

5. Kevin Gates

Arguably the second best rapper in rap today behind Thug. But whereas Thug has largely created his own style and evolved the genre, Gates is perfecting the traditional rap flow. Dust heads take note: Gates is better than your favorite rapper. I dare you to listen to Really Really and then listen to Elzhi or whatever else passes as satisfactory among dust purists. Once again a humble man from Louisiana is outrapping your favorite New York rappers.

I don't think I've ever seen someone as obsessed with ranking artists as you are

PBY

Banned

1. Young Thug:

2. Kanye West

3. Future

4. Ramriddlz

5. Kevin Gates

This is a good list, but Thugger can't be #1 on my list.

Not fair, but I'd throw OVO sound radio on my list. That and Kanye, and future and thugger to a lesser degree, have been my main rap intake for 2016.

Detox

Don't think there is anyone writing better songs than Gates atm. His rapping is heavily influenced by NY and his singing is a perfection of boosie's style.

Gates just doesn't have the bars that make you rewind, if he did he would be up there with the greats.

dude was on fire in that Ferg song recently too. man I think Q might deliver this year....

right about when I'm starting to feel disappointed with Drake's output. these things come in cycles.

Am I the only one kinda not hating the Drake leaks? idk man, One Dance is an earworm and Pop Style has a ridiculous beat.

Not expecting much from the album because Drake albums have never done much for me, but I'm not mad at the leaks either.

Am I the only one kinda not hating the Drake leaks? idk man, One Dance is an earworm and Pop Style has a ridiculous beat.

Not expecting much from the album because Drake albums have never done much for me, but I'm not mad at the leaks either.
not even leaks, official singles. they're ok.

but yeah, like DIsoctheque said, nothing he's released since IYRTITL has really done anything for me except for Jumpman off WATTBA.

mooooose

You cool, but Malibu is shit and not really hip-hop, and your Southernplayalistc ratings are god-awful
dude hell yea malibu is fucking trash

theyre as interesting as they are inoffensive and thats the larger problem

Ok yeah I can see the inoffensive angle. That's fair.

Anyway, Started From The Bottom is the only Drake single where I was like "Whoa" tbh. I'm generally not on the same page as Drake fans

Dereck

Homeboy Sandman - Kindness for Weakness (May 6)

kindness-for-weakness.jpg

1 Heart Sings

2 Eyes

3 Real New York

feat. I Am Many

4 Seam by Seam

feat. Until the Ribbon Breaks

5 It's Cold

feat. Steve Arrington

6 Talking (Bleep)

7 Gumshoe

8 Keep it Real

feat. Mystro

9 Earth, Wind, Fire, Water

feat. yU, Tah Phrum, Duh Bush, Shad

10 Funhouse

11 Sly Fox

12 God

13 Nonbelievers

14 Speak Truth

feat. Kurious, Breeze Brewin, Aesop Rock

m3k

just listened to drink champs the other day... nore always had the best interviews so when i heard about a podcast i got it as soon as i could

ill listen to the 2nd tomorrow while going to work

HiResDes

1. Young Thug:

2. Kanye West

3. Future

4. Ramriddlz

5. Kevin Gates

Kevin Gates probably isn't even the second best cousin fucker rapper working in the game today. And your assessment of EVOL having that kind of impact on mainstream trap is far off base even in comparison to his earlier projects like DS2 considering it's lack of overall buzz and widespread appeal. It just isn't hitting the masses on nearly the same level as DS2 and nor should it as it's a fairly lazy effort overall. There's absolutely nothing groundbreaking or forward sounding about it even in comparison to Future's own discography. I appreciate what you do though man so keep doing your thing.

http://djbooth.net/news/entry/2016-04-07-the-little-homies-video-breakdown

Essentially Dave Free and Kendrick formed the 'Little Homies' duo a while back and ever since almost every single TDE music video has been co-directed by them. Same with all of Kendrick's live performances(late night, Grammy's etc). Pretty much all the visuals.

They work side by side with the lead director and are heavily involved in the creative and editing process.
As the concept continued to develop, I had a lot of great conversations with Kendrick and Dave. We just kept hammering the concept home to really keep digging deeper and deeper. I’ve never actually worked with an artist like Kendrick that wants to keep pushing the creative to a whole ‘nother world. Every little detail matters to him. - Colin Tilley, MTV 2015

Impressive considering all of TDE's recent music videos have been really dope(Groovy Tony, Alright, God is Gangsta, Smile)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel like I've enjoyed a ton of music this year, but I don't know how I'd rank any projects in particular. Only two I know I'd put up there are TLOP and Malibu, and to a lesser extent EVOL straight off of the strength of the highlights. And Malibu is hardly hip-hop.

Black Thought ft. Styles P - Making A Murderer (Prod. by 9th Wonder). Don't like the beat but there is definitely some serious wordsmithing going on here. Black blacked out.

Young Thug ft. Meek Mill - Digits (Remix). It's aight.

New trailer for NOISEY DETROIT featuring Danny Brown explaining the D sound. This looks pretty dope. First installment Tuesday.

KAYTRANADA ft. Anderson .Paak - Glowed Up video.

Chance The Rapper ft. Saba - Angels video. Never heard this before but it's kinda funky, I dig it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom