• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleuin

Damn that dude from rae shawarma took the biggest L

Mike Will needs to reign these kids in, can't perform no type anymore

This new J-Zone album
ahh4.png

Shame his peak popularity days are gone because this album would definitely ruffle some feathers (bloggers, Gaf-hoppers, and Coli purists alike). He still has his sense of humility though which is what always seperated him from his peers in "asshole" rap.

His heart's definitely not in it like it used to be and he knows that (writing was on the wall damn near 10 years ago really), but he still makes it work every couple of years.
rejoice.png
I liked his first two albums. I'll give it a shot.

Fax

R they good
And u got any links

Im a biased Meek stan all day, but he cooked that Panda beat. Im sayin man, Drake is a better, smarter, more diverse and versatile music artist than my man Meek, but as a hip hop head who came of age in the late 90s/early 2000s, Meek is straight up a more charismatic spitter and narrator than Drake. Come at me.

Im a biased Meek stan all day, but he cooked that Panda beat. Im sayin man, Drake is a better, smarter, more diverse and versatile music artist than my man Meek, but as a hip hop head who came of age in the late 90s/early 2000s, Meek is straight up a more charismatic spitter and narrator than Drake. Come at me.

Dude, I've said it before, but...

Meek Mill>>>>>>>>>Drake all day.

IrishNinja

Nah, that's a great collection Irish bless up.

thanks man - i have one more cubby hole of hip hop, starts with rae/redman and ends with OST's. i just wish i could get a pick so you could clearly see album titles, even if many come from my DJ buddy who treated the covers like shit, haha....like, that greatest hits of Pac is a fantastic 4 LP set, but the cover is literally in tatters, same with It's Dark & Hell's Hot. still, price was right!

I WANT that Digital Underground Peanuts comic.

comes from this NY art exhibit where dude mashed up Peanuts images & lyrics, here's a bunch
i keep that snoopy KICK IN THE DOOR one on the side of that shelf, haha

Tokubetsu

thanks man - i have one more cubby hole of hip hop, starts with rae/redman and ends with OST's. i just wish i could get a pick so you could clearly see album titles, even if many come from my DJ buddy who treated the covers like shit, haha....like, that greatest hits of Pac is a fantastic 4 LP set, but the cover is literally in tatters, same with It's Dark & Hell's Hot. still, price was right!
\

adds character, you didn't just drop 30+ bucks on some record store day reissue

HiResDes

I copped it a few days ago, pretty cool mix of hip-hoppy jazz

incoming dust

Lovely collection.

I've abandoned hip-hop for a while though and I'm just trying to scoop up folk and soul because I think they sound so fucking good on vinyl.
Azizi Gibson's new album is fuego.

Dude knows how to keep songs relatively short, has great production and energy.

Yep been bumping that, the new Antwon EP is tight too.

HiResDes

FADER said:
Misogi is one of the new generation of producers raised on SoundCloud. He's 17 now, but started producing at the age of 13. Born in Dubai, he's spent the past decade moving back and forth between there and London, but is now based in the latter full-time. In the last 18 months, he's earned production credits for a clutch of FADER friendly rappers including Allan Kingdom and Bones, as well as dropped a couple of beat mixtapes that have helped him notch up a hearty following. Sometime in the next few months, he'll self-release his debut album; it's currently titled PLAYMISOGI®, although he says that could change. In the meantime, he found time to make us a trap-heavy mix featuring music exclusively by his friends, among whom he counts next-gen rap stars Lil Yachty and Pollàri. Listen below, and scroll down to get to know the young producer.

INTERVIEW LINK

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
A.S.A.P. drops April 22. See the tracklisting below.

ALWAYS STRIVE AND PROSPER TRACKLISTING

1. “Rebirth”
2. “Hungry Ham” feat. Skrillex and Crystal Caines
3. “Strive” feat. Missy Elliott
4. “Meet My Crazy Uncle” (Skit)
5. “Psycho”
6. “Let It Bang” feat. ScHoolboy Q
7. “New Level” feat. Future
8. “Yammy Gang” feat. A$AP Mob and Tatianna Paulino
9. “Swipe Life” feat. Rick Ross
10. “Uzi Gang” feat. Lil Uzi Vert and Marty Baller
11. “Beautiful People” feat. Chuck D and Mama Ferg
12. “Damn Not Again” (Skit)
13. “Let You Go”
14. “World Is Mine” feat. Big Sean
15. “Phone Call with Breezy” (Skit)
16. “I Love You” feat. Chris Brown and Ty Dolla $ign
17. “Grandma” (Skit)
18. “Grandma”

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I hope it's good. But nothing he's done since Trap Lord has come close to the highs of that album. The only standout since then has been that track with Q, but that was mostly just because of Q (who is pretty great tbh 💕).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It didn't do much for me. Ferg needs to stay weird. He's in his prime on tracks like Hood Pope and Shabba.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Hi!

1. Pick a Coast to rep

Historically, Atlanta, but currently the West Coast is so good it's hard to keep up.

2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap?

Interesting bars and the personality/character of the rapper are most important to me, so I can fuck with any genre. Though I do love hip-hop that sounds like you're walking through dark city streets in the rain, like Liquid Swords, Cold Vein, I Don't Like Shit and I Don't Go Outside etc.

3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five)

Kendrick, Danny Brown, Earl Sweatshirt, Open Mike Eagle and Run the Jewels. Plus OutKast for being the first music I independently got into as well as being fucking incredible, but I wanted to keep the list to artists currently making music.

4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five)

Massive Attack, Lady Gaga, Radiohead, Tool and The Dandy Warhols.

5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY?

I've noticed ya'll aren't crazy about To Pimp a Butterfly but it was far and away my album of last year, if not my personal album of all time. Favourite album of 2016 so far is Malibu by Anderson .Paak.

6. What are you listening to right now?

I can't stop listening to Earl Sweatshirt. I only just got into him and it doesn't even make sense how talented he is for his age. He's shot straight up into my top 5, I just wanna hang out with him and be miserable and get high.

7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for?

RuPaul while I get chores done around the house is a delicious guilty pleasure.

I haven't started listening to MF Doom yet because I don't even know where to start, and I know he's gonna take a lot of time to get through. I also haven't gone deep into Biggie and Pac.

8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)

ATLiens > Stankonia > Aquemini > Speakerboxxx/The Love Below > Idlewild > Southernplayalistic

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game?

I'm gonna go long here, so bear with me.

As I said above, OutKast was the first music I got into that wasn't something my dad was playing, so I've been into hip-hop for my entire music-listening life. I honestly feel like hip-hop is in a little golden age right now; I've been listening to more music and discovering more new artists in the past couple of years than the rest of my life combined.

In big releases you have Kendrick releasing politically charged, artistically complex and commercially successful hip-hop that isn't exactly easy listening. If you'd got me to listen to TPAB few years ago and told me it was going to have such widespread success and acclaim, I'd never have believed you. There's also Kanye, who I'm not fond of personally, is undeniably hugely influential and talented with a following who adore him. I'm a firm *shrug* on Drake though, even if his songs get stuck in my head.

Meanwhile, the internet has allowed underdogs, experimentalists and weirdos like Run the Jewels, Big KRIT, Flatbush Zombies and Danny Brown find audiences where they'd have struggled before without losing their independence. In the artsy/indie side Open Mike Eagle, Busdriver and now Milo continue to put out albums that are poetic while still being entertaining and not getting bogged down in their own woke-ness.

Best of all, there's new talent like Earl Sweatshirt and Vince Staples who have only just started their careers, proving that hip-hop is still music for the young and rebellious. It makes me so happy to see a new generation coming up when hip-hop enters its middle age. As someone who used to get treated like some kind of race traitor by white kids for liking hip-hop, it's continued success and relevance has been vindicating.

So yeah, hip-hop's never been better. The only thing I think is missing are strong Wu-Tang style groups, but a group like that requires such a specific time, place and environment that it's hard for them to come together naturally. I do think Flatbush Zombies have a similar energy, though.

2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member?

The Ghost. Face. Killaaaaaaah.

3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Young Thug or OG Maco?

Jay-Z, Biggie, no opinion – I don't feel too strongly about any of the above, honestly.

4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating?

I need a new Danny Brown album in my fucking life, he's killing me with his Twitter teasing. Hemlock Ernst has been doing incredible features, so I hope he's working on something bigger. If we're gonna go deep into dream land, give me a full Black Hippy album too.

5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated?

Honestly, this isn't a topic I care about. Rate whoever you want at whatever level you want, makes no difference to me.

6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten?

The former, with vigour.

7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither?

Both, learn to fucking cook, you babies.

8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why?

Nope, he hasn't excited me in years. What does he have left to say at this point? He should just enjoy his success, be happy he put out great work and help new talent come up.

9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest?

Lady Gaga for favourite, Beyonce for finest.

10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago...

Last week fucking sucked, I was working morning to night because I over-promised on a bunch of stuff. Most recent cool thing was going to Tokyo for the first time, which was as amazing as I expected but not for the reasons I expected.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think I like anything about New Level. Thought it was just some mixtape loosie but then he made it the first single from the album so I was like wut

The voice he uses throughout the song is annoying, hook is trying to be catchy but isn't, Future's verse is garbage, beat is either mediocre or doesn't vibe with the raps that well, etc.

Koozek

Hi!

1. Pick a Coast to rep

Historically, Atlanta, but currently the West Coast is so good it's hard to keep up.

Interesting bars and the personality/character of the rapper are most important to me, so I can fuck with any genre. Though I do love hip-hop that sounds like you're walking through dark city streets in the rain, like Liquid Swords, Cold Vein, I Don't Like Shit and I Don't Go Outside etc.

Kendrick, Danny Brown, Earl Sweatshirt, Open Mike Eagle and Run the Jewels. Plus OutKast for being the first music I independently got into as well as being fucking incredible, but I wanted to keep the list to artists currently making music.

I've noticed ya'll aren't crazy about To Pimp a Butterfly but it was far and away my album of last year, if not my personal album of all time. Favourite album of 2016 so far is Malibu by Anderson .Paak.

I can't stop listening to Earl Sweatshirt. I only just got into him and it doesn't even make sense how talented he is for his age. He's shot straight up into my top 5, I just wanna hang out with him and be miserable and get high.

7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for?

I haven't started listening to MF Doom yet because I don't even know where to start, and I know he's gonna take a lot of time to get through. I also haven't gone deep into Biggie and Pac.

ATLiens > Stankonia > Aquemini > Speakerboxxx/The Love Below > Idlewild > Southernplayalistic

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game?

As I said above, OutKast was the first music I got into that wasn't something my dad was playing, so I've been into hip-hop for my entire music-listening life. I honestly feel like hip-hop is in a little golden age right now; I've been listening to more music and discovering more new artists in the past couple of years than the rest of my life combined.

In big releases you have Kendrick releasing politically charged, artistically complex and commercially successful hip-hop that isn't exactly easy listening. If you'd got me to listen to TPAB few years ago and told me it was going to have such widespread success and acclaim, I'd never have believed you. There's also Kanye, who I'm not fond of personally, is undeniably hugely influential and talented with a following who adore him. I'm a firm *shrug* on Drake though, even if his songs get stuck in my head.

Meanwhile, the internet has allowed underdogs, experimentalists and weirdos like Run the Jewels, Big KRIT, Flatbush Zombies and Danny Brown find audiences where they'd have struggled before without losing their independence. In the artsy/indie side Open Mike Eagle, Busdriver and now Milo continue to put out albums that are poetic while still being entertaining and not getting bogged down in their own woke-ness.

Best of all, there's new talent like Earl Sweatshirt and Vince Staples who have only just started their careers, proving that hip-hop is still music for the young and rebellious. It makes me so happy to see a new generation coming up when hip-hop enters its middle age. As someone who used to get treated like some kind of race traitor by white kids for liking hip-hop, it's continued success and relevance has been vindicating.

So yeah, hip-hop's never been better. The only thing I think is missing are strong Wu-Tang style groups, but a group like that requires such a specific time, place and environment that it's hard for them to come together naturally. I do think Flatbush Zombies have a similar energy, though.

Jay-Z, Biggie, no opinion – I don't feel too strongly about any of the above, honestly.

I need a new Danny Brown album in my fucking life, he's killing me with his Twitter teasing. Hemlock Ernst has been doing incredible features, so I hope he's working on something bigger. If we're gonna go deep into dream land, give me a full Black Hippy album too.

Honestly, this isn't a topic I care about. Rate whoever you want at whatever level you want, makes no difference to me.

The former, with vigour.

Nope, he hasn't excited me in years. What does he have left to say at this point? He should just enjoy his success, be happy he put out great work and help new talent come up.

Last week fucking sucked, I was working morning to night because I over-promised on a bunch of stuff. Most recent cool thing was going to Tokyo for the first time, which was as amazing as I expected but not for the reasons I expected.

You said a lot of good things, welcome! Finally someone repping OutKast, one of my all-time favorite groups, too. And I absolutly agree with your "new Golden Era of Rap" sentiment, actually I wanted to post the same a while ago when I realized how much well-made albums have been coming out in the last few years. We're blessed.

EDIT:
My ranking:
Love Below (for personal reasons) > Stankonia = Aquemini > ATLiens = Southernplayalistic = Speakerboxx > Idlewild

PBY

Banned
Hi!

1. Pick a Coast to rep

GAF-Hop Discusses

The former, with vigour.

Sup. This is a good post (although detecting some dustiness here).

How would you rank Kanye's albums?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Welcome breh
Thanks!
You cool, but Malibu is shit and not really hip-hop, and your Southernplayalistc ratings are god-awful
Southernplayalistic is such a dull album I'm surprised they made it big, but I guess it was a time and place thing.

Edit: If you won't accept Malibu, replace with Hella Personal Film Festival.
You said a lot of good things, welcome! Finally someone repping OutKast, one of my all-time favorite groups, too. And I absolutly agree with your "new Golden Era of Rap" sentiment, actually I wanted to post the same a while ago when I realized how much well-made albums have been coming out in the last few years. We're blessed.

EDIT:
My ranking:
Love Below (for personal reasons) > Stankonia = Aquemini > ATLiens = Southernplayalistic = Speakerboxx > Idlewild
Yeah, and I love how fluid styles are now too, rather than being locked into distinct coastal flavours.
Sup. This is a good post (although detecting some dustiness here).

How would you rank Kanye's albums?
I don't like Kanye enough to have a strong opinion, but based on my limited exposure: MBDTF > College Dropout > Graduation = Late Registration > Yeezus

I never caught 808s, haven't listened to TLOP yet (I liked the Good Fridays tracks), but it's on my list. I only listened to Yeezus once but didn't feel at all compelled to come back. MBDTF is pretty great, and College Dropout feels dated now but I still go back to it for nostalgia reasons. I initially hated Graduation but I've warmed to it over the years.

Koozek

Thanks!

Southernplayalistic is such a dull album I'm surprised they made it big, but I guess it was a time and place thing.

Yeah, and I love how fluid styles are now too, rather than being locked into distinct coastal flavours.

I don't like Kanye enough to have a strong opinion, but based on my limited exposure: MBDTF > College Dropout > Graduation = Late Registration > Yeezus

I never caught 808s, haven't listened to TLOP yet (I liked the Good Fridays tracks), but it's on my list. I only listened to Yeezus once but didn't feel at all compelled to come back. MBDTF is pretty great, and College Dropout feels dated now but I still go back to it for nostalgia reasons. I initially hated Graduation but I've warmed to it over the years.
Word. Nobody is afraid of experimenting and bending and mixing genres anymore. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom