• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Just found out the Lonny Breaux Collection. Fucking amazing.
Where the hell is Ocean anyway?

BlackJace

Life comes at you fast
RIBp0FJ.jpg

Breh the demons have come back to reclaim his lifeforce per the contract that got him famous.

DominoKid

i thought it was Boosie too and his health had taken a turn for the worst.

of course dom rides for it

nah, i meant when i heard Take Care i wanted more like that, and that's not what this is. even TML had more closer to those vibes than this. this made me wish he'dve saved something off IYR or WATTBA and tossed it on here, and that's a shame cause those were supposed to be appetizers.

agreed on failures & ego though

i aint really riding for it. i just still really like what we got despite it not being what i wanted. of his 4 albums I'd have it 2nd behind NWTS.

Take Care just has too much shit I outright do not like. thankfully that era had his best loosies/bonuses BY FAR

really hope he follow up Views with a rap-focused set of loosies soon to balance it out such a pop-filled album.

Catvoca

Banned
Solid is something you say about a car that doesn't have power windowns, but the AC mostly works. Solid is a job where the hours are good, but you still gotta wear a paper hat. Solid is what you call a meal your SO made for you when you ain't trying to hurt her feelings but you're not going back for seconds. Solid is a scrappy wideout that may get some playtime in the fourth quarter once the game is already decided.

Drake is the most solid guy in the industry.

Holy shit, this cracked me up.

Koozek

Solid is something you say about a car that doesn't have power windowns, but the AC mostly works. Solid is a job where the hours are good, but you still gotta wear a paper hat. Solid is what you call a meal your SO made for you when you ain't trying to hurt her feelings but you're not going back for seconds. Solid is a scrappy wideout that may get some playtime in the fourth quarter once the game is already decided.

Drake is the most solid guy in the industry.

Solid post.

Why you gotta fight with me at Cheesecake
You know I love to go there
Say I'm actin' lightskin, I can't take you nowhere
This a place for families that drive Camrys and go to Disney
They don't need to know all of our business
You wildin', you super childish, you go to CVS for Kotex
In my Bugatti, I took the key and tried to hide it
So you can't drive it, and put on mileage
Then you find it, awkward silence

8d4fGoq.gif

I like that the nigga acknowledges hes lightskinned. Highkey, lotta dudes thought he was soft as cream puffs before the beef last summer because hes this lightskin upper middle class Canadian, but the dude proved he can be grimey on the mic. I still dont like Views though.

Eos

https://twitter.com/SRDtv/status/726907149281038338

Drake dropping new music soo, views reception got him shook.

might drop a double album if Pitchfork gives him a 6
raptors win got him excited
Soulja Boy outchea looking like an actual veteran
LMAO
reported
Tents full of music prepared for him to record vocals for.
Fuhrer aubrey has had them working overtime since it's gonna get less than 85 on metacritic. no bonus for them.

Pitchfork VIEWS Review
If last year’s If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late had Drake doing his best all-guns-blazing Tony Montana, shedding his softness for an untouchable-don pose, VIEWS has him on his Tony Soprano, trying to reach deep into his own psyche for revelations but often just falling back on a sour version of what got him this far.

Damn man, Views is boring. I thought giving it a nice loud couple of listens yesterday would improve things but I think it's even worse now.

- Came around on the intro but it suffers from something the entire album does: Weak progression. It's so one note. Even when it does build up a bit it drops right back into repetitive low energy in order to fill out the 5 and a half minute length. Could've been great with a producer who was pushing harder, and a singer who could reach into the stars to give this track life.

- 9, U With Me, and Hype are not built to last.

- Redemption, Faithful, and Fire & Desire are so boring

- Westen Road Flows and Views are still tired.

- With You, Controlla, One Dance, and Too Good are 4 of the top 5 on this album. He should've pushed this sound HARD.

- Feel No Ways is one of Drake's best tracks, period. This is the kind of driving music he should be making.

KTT Drake fans in chambles
I'm so sick and tired of nigga not giving Drake the props he deserves. How the **** isn't Views a classic? How the **** isn't he recognized as one of the all time greats? Like my nigga is breaking all type of records, everything he touches is gold. My nigga really got the Midas touch, but **** boys wanna be edgy so bad. Drake run is legendary, what other rapper can drop a mixtape out of nowhere and sell 500k in just 3 days? What other rapper can have an ENTIRE project chart on billboard? help me he;lp help help oh god help me What other rapper is breaking records set by legendary musical artists? I *ing hate you *made ass niggas. i need to fuking die Y'all say he's repetitive but stay stanning these trap rappers that don't be talking about *. Then y'all say he's trying to be a street nigga. Like * how? Being aggressive doesn't mean you're trying to be a street nigga. Y'all niggas just look for anything to try to discredit Drake. Like is your life that sad that you have to downplay one of the most successful rappers of all time? Like we haven't seen a rapper this big since Lil Wayne run a few years ago. Appreciate this man while he's still here. You don't see greatness like this come around very often.

Koozek

- Birdman Shooting Video For “Respek” Song

- Soulja Boy Reportedly Inks $400 Million Deal

- Drake’s “One Dance” Breaks Adele’s “Hello” UK Streaming Record

- Andre 3000 Has Recorded Material With Kid Cudi
"I always listen to a lot of jazz, a lot of Thelonious Monk,” Andre 3000 said at the time. "The new Kid Cudi album [Speedin’ Bullet 2 Heaven] is awesome to me. That’s kind of like the most recent thing that I think is really great. But other than that I’ve kind of just been working in the studio and listening to what I’m doing."​

T8r9BEE.png

Wait, Drake drops 'B2B': one track where he plucks the lowest hanging fruit, admittedly with his butt cheeks, and drops it into a throng of serfs, and now is considered "grimey"? Non-ironically?

Did I just read that? Is that where we're at with this guy?

I've been thinking about Gene Simmon's comments about hip hop music a lot recently. After my initial gutteral response being a dismissal of the crotchety ejections of an irrelevant; I started thinking he may have point.

I honestly can't envision a future where rap music has any relevance to mainstream interest in 20 years. If it does; I feel as though it will sound like something distinctly different from anything we currently know.

What did you guys think about his comments here?

I've been thinking about Gene Simmon's comments about hip hop music a lot recently. After my initial gutteral response being a dismissal of the crotchety ejections of an irrelevant; I started thinking he may have point.

I honestly can't envision a future where rap music has any relevance to mainstream interest in 20 years. If it does; I feel as though it will sound like something distinctly different from anything we currently know.

I thought "why is anyone paying attention to the opinions of a washed up, dusty guy whose only contribution to music was that he put make-up on to make mediocre music?"

Gene Simmons' views on hip-hop are as stupid as his views on politics.

HiResDes

your vision of the the future is idiotic too then

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rap music was relevant twenty years ago. It's even more relevant now. Dumb question, probably a gimmick account.

Fjordson

Hard to imagine it'll go away as a genre in the mainstream.

It'll keep changing. There are popular hip-hop artists today who wouldn't have been popular 20 years ago, but the genre will still be around I'd say.

If anything Rap will continue to be relevant because it has that strange flexibility, you look at Rock and styles changed drastically each decade and older sounds died off. You still get older sounds with newer sounds and more of a mix-up happening as far as sonic diversity.

Hip hop aint going anywhere, its too culturally embedded at this point and artists like Drake help corporations piggy back off its trend-setting nature. I dont think Ive ever seen corporations promote his memes as heavily as they did with #Views. Like, holy fuck, it was everywhere on social media and being hashtagged by every company known to man.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

What an odd comment when hip-hop culture dominates mainstream culture currently and it couldn't be any less controversial to assert that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom