• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is hip hop at the peak of it's commercial/industrial popularity now?

I thought its commercial peak was in the early 2000s when artists could actually move 10 million units.
I think what will happen in 20 years is that the baby boomers and tastemakers who reject hip hop as a legitimate musical artform will have died off and albums like TPAB will get alot more industry acclaim.

Fjordson

So is hip hop at the peak of it's commercial/industrial popularity now?
Well music as a whole is changing commercially. The old model of putting out a single or two for radio, then a CD in stores is fading. But even with streams and digital sales rap should do fine. I mean Drake was the most streamed artist on Spotify globally last year. Kanye was in the top 5 also.

Fjordson

Anybody that likes Cilvia should check out that Kweku Collins's Nat Love album, very similar vibe with a little crooning in between. It's fucking fire.

Finally went through this, loved it. Really strong melodies.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Chance feature on track 2 before realizing it was his brother lol. They sound so similar.

So what you guys think about how lyricism in modern mainstream hip hop has changed?

When I talk about "lyricism" I'm not referring to complexity or messages or some such nonsense. I'm talking about the real movement away from a larger amount of words/bars to compile a song, to more of a focus on refrains and hooks.

IrishNinja

ya'll replying to drive-by trolls and still talkin bout views like either had much to say

i aint really riding for it. i just still really like what we got despite it not being what i wanted. of his 4 albums I'd have it 2nd behind NWTS.

Take Care just has too much shit I outright do not like. thankfully that era had his best loosies/bonuses BY FAR

really hope he follow up Views with a rap-focused set of loosies soon to balance it out such a pop-filled album.

you mean you want another IYR? i'd take that after this disappointment, yeah

KTT Drake fans in chambles

KTT can be pretty entertaining sometimes tbh:

it's like sony fans in sales-age or something, only with no one to reign em in

- Andre 3000 Has Recorded Material With Kid Cudi
"I always listen to a lot of jazz, a lot of Thelonious Monk,” Andre 3000 said at the time. "The new Kid Cudi album [Speedin’ Bullet 2 Heaven] is awesome to me. That’s kind of like the most recent thing that I think is really great. But other than that I’ve kind of just been working in the studio and listening to what I’m doing."​

T8r9BEE.png

3k stays on a lotta people's top 10 lists, but he's been gone for a decade plus now. at least mos had the decency to change his name so you don't expect the same person

Now this is some revisionist shit. All his albums were solid until Views.

Thank Me Later is so bad it was erased from the human timeline and we all think Take Care was his debut

i feel like i enjoyed miss me and find your love or some shit like that, but there's not a lot i kept off that, yeah...weird

Coming from Views, Nothing Was The Same sounds like a classic. Wow...

nah, it just sounds like an enjoyable album you'd revisit, which seems to be hard to find from the big names in 2k16

I've been thinking about Gene Simmon's comments about hip hop music a lot recently. After my initial gutteral response being a dismissal of the crotchety ejections of an irrelevant; I started thinking he may have point.

I honestly can't envision a future where rap music has any relevance to mainstream interest in 20 years. If it does; I feel as though it will sound like something distinctly different from anything we currently know.

What did you guys think about his comments here?

Gene Simmons is a complete moron and KISS is now a one dimensional, overrated, shitty cock rock band. Who cares?

Gene Simmons is a complete moron and KISS is now a one dimensional, overrated, shitty cock rock band. Who cares?

Of course, I do. As I said, I've been thinking about the merit of the comments a lot recently, not Richard Simmons. So I wanted to get another perspective on it, because when I look at what the music was and how the music is changing, the comments don't seem all that crazy to me. 10 years is a bit much, but in 20 years I wouldn't be shocked if hip hop were largely a niche form of musical entertainment.

People provided me with some food for thought, regarding some internal assumptions I've made, which is much appreciated. Outside the idiots that wanted to insult me by calling names ambiguously for no reason, of course.

overcast

Coming from Views, Nothing Was The Same sounds like a classic. Wow...
Wouldn't go that far. It just feels nice and brief which is a decent leg up. It also has some more memorable tracks. I feel like take care is his best I guess even though I'm not big on it. Inconsistent but it's got the best moments in his career.

Some of his one off singles are among his best shit. How About Now is quality.
Lol

illadelph

So wait, De La Soul dropped an EP and nobody listened to it?

EDIT: Just listened, it's barely anything at all haha

Something coming August 26th though

Nabs

As much as I like them, they haven 't really been making music worth checking out since at least 2000?

3 Feet High and Rising is still one of the best rap albums of all time, though.

They released a really good album in 2004.

So wait, De La Soul dropped an EP and nobody listened to it?

EDIT: Just listened, it's barely anything at all haha

Something coming August 26th though

I didn't expect them to drag this out so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom