• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

yo, has there been anything notable this year that I should peep? I haven't been paying attention since TLOP dropped. Been at my summer job and hearing a lot of Macklemore/G-Eazy and my first exposure to Post Malone and need some new stuff to wash the shit outta my ears.

I'll give that Gucci a listen

Dereck

yo, has there been anything notable this year that I should peep? I haven't been paying attention since TLOP dropped. Been at my summer job and hearing a lot of Macklemore/G-Eazy and my first exposure to Post Malone and need some new stuff to wash the shit outta my ears.

Hella Personal Film Festival and Blank Face, there's other stuff just don't remember

lil big pac
skoobzilla
blankface
lil uzi vs the world

Koozek

Check these out:

Azizi Gibson - A New Life
https://soundcloud.com/azizigibson/sets/a-new-life

Denzel Curry - Imperial
https://soundcloud.com/denzelcurryph/sets/imperial-ii

Warm Brew - Diagnosis
https://soundcloud.com/red-bull-records/sets/warm-brew-diagnosis

Payroll Giovanni & Cardo - Big Bossin Vol.1
http://www.datpiff.com/Payroll-Giovanni-Cardo-Big-Bossin-Vol1-mixtape.783523.html

Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
http://www.datpiff.com/Chance-The-Rapper-Coloring-Book-mixtape.783240.html

Kodak Black - Lil B.I.G. Pac
http://www.datpiff.com/Kodak-Black-Lil-BIG-Pac-mixtape.787992.html

Lil Duke - Uber
http://www.datpiff.com/Lil-Duke-Uber-mixtape.781458.html

Post Malone tape was good, though.

Albums/groups/projects that looked great on paper but disappointed on release, GO

random-axe-album-cover-1.jpg

bad-neighbor-1500.jpg

ARK322

Neo Member
I'm usually a pretty big Kendrick stan, but his verses both on Holy Key and the That Part remix are pretty much complete gibberish. Dense rhyme schemes are only impressive if the verse is actually coherent. If not it's like listening to someone read off a page in a rhyming dictionary.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Vado ft. Cam'Ron & Jeremih - We Da Wave.

I'm usually a pretty big Kendrick stan, but his verses both on Holy Key and the That Part remix are pretty much complete gibberish. Dense rhyme schemes are only impressive if the verse is actually coherent. If not it's like listening to someone read off a page in a rhyming dictionary.
That Part remix one at least flows and sounds nice to the ears.

The Holy Key verse feels disjointed line-to-line, especially with how he enunciates every last word. Definitely got Eminem vibes listening, although it's mostly only in the first half of the verse.

illadelph

Vado ft. Cam'Ron & Jeremih - We Da Wave.

That Part remix one at least flows and sounds nice to the ears.

The Holy Key verse feels disjointed line-to-line, especially with how he enunciates every last word. Definitely got Eminem vibes listening, although it's mostly only in the first half of the verse.

what made prime Eminem great though was his ability to use very dense rhyme schemes and actually be talking about something, sticking to a topic, telling a story, creating a visual, using an extended metaphor, etc.

he started to go downhill when he started just haphazardly throwing words together and throwing a zillion disjointed punchlines around to be the most rappity rap god.

Kendrick's last few verses sound cool, but they're basically washed-up Eminem verses

-Holy Key verse is pretty obviously about Kendrick speaking on dissociating himself with the mainstream. I don't think it's a very good verse, sonically speaking. The first half especially , he catches himself on the second half with the maad city flow though. It most certainly isn't him "throwing words together and throwing a zillion disjointed punchlines around to be the most rappity rap god".

-His THat Part remix verse is much better and I'm not seeing any lyrical miracle rappity rap shit in that either.

- His Survive(Mistah F.A.B's album) verse is pretty concise straight forward too.

Dereck

Kendrick's last few verses sound cool, but they're basically washed-up Eminem verses
sowP6Tf.gif

I think Kendrick is trying to remind people that he's still the greatest of the new school, in his opinion.

I think he may be trying to outdo himself whenever he does a feature. I also think that maybe he should chill out because I've seen his fans starting to call him a rappity rap guy.

Of course some of the rappity rap claims are coming from fans who are too impatient to actually listen and understand what he's saying. They don't like having to listen to his verse 10 times to get the bigger meaning.

How did we get to the point that people putting some thought into rhyme schemes and non-lazy flows was a negative thing? How is Kendrick anywhere close to vapid current day Eminem verses? smh

He's not, I'm just talking about how his verses are being perceived right now.

Yeah I'm speaking on the perception, not calling out anyone in particular. This has been going on for a while now, especially concerning Kendrick which is strange since his last album was simultaneously his most abrasive and groovy, where tracks like "For Free" and "u" sit alongside "King Kunta" and "How Much A Dollar Cost." Why is effort a bad thing now? So dumb. It's one thing if he was mindlessly stringing words together and being obnoxious like Em, but there's clearly still a lot of thought happening.

Zekes!

Hella Personal Film Festival and Blank Face, there's other stuff just don't remember

lil big pac
skoobzilla
blankface
lil uzi vs the world

Thanks for the recs, I'll check 'em out

Dereck

Yeah I'm speaking on the perception, not calling out anyone in particular. This has been going on for a while now, especially concerning Kendrick which is strange since his last album was simultaneously his most abrasive and groovy, where tracks like "For Free" and "u" sit alongside "King Kunta" and "How Much A Dollar Cost." Why is effort a bad thing now? So dumb. It's one thing if he was mindlessly stringing words together and being obnoxious like Em, but there's clearly still a lot of thought happening.
He's gotten so good that it's kind of boring to just praise him again and again. It's more fun for people to listen to the That Part Remix and then make fun of Kendrick's verse, "ID on a pure T-Rex, my Chinese gotta flirt these vets, I'm pisces on a clear reflex, my tight tees gotta wide v-neck". He's gotten so good it's become boring for some people.

I even saw people making fun of Earl's verses of Whoa because his bars are so complex that people just give up trying to understand it.

"ID on a pure T-Rex, my Chinese gotta flirt these vets, I'm pisces on a clear reflex, my tight tees gotta wide v-neck".

the fuck, isn't it
Hold your breath, I'm 8 feet when I hold this TEC
Protect me from the local threats
My ID say my eye don't rest
My IV qualify T-rex
Society kept my IQ vexed
Deny me from an Ivy school
Applyin' me to the street I slept

or i probably didn't get the joke

illadelph

attempted to listen to Lil' Boat today

easily my worst decision of 2k16 so far

had to finally check out De La Soul's Art Official Intelligence to cleanse myself

Koozek

That's what I meant, yeah.

Koozek

He's gotten so good that it's kind of boring to just praise him again and again. It's more fun for people to listen to the That Part Remix and then make fun of Kendrick's verse, "ID on a pure T-Rex, my Chinese gotta flirt these vets, I'm pisces on a clear reflex, my tight tees gotta wide v-neck". He's gotten so good it's become boring for some people.

I even saw people making fun of Earl's verses of Whoa because his bars are so complex that people just give up trying to understand it.

the fuck, isn't it

or i probably didn't get the joke
LOL. Didn't get it either and was about to post how I for the life of me couldn't make any sense of those lines you quoted. Man, made me doubt my English comprehension skills for a second. I was even googling Pisces.

ARK322

Neo Member
Okay gibberish might've been an overstatement. But compare the Holy Key and That Part verses to, say, the cornrow Kenny verse on Untitled 2, or the
GOAT-level
verses on Cartoon & Cereal. The latter two are extremely technical, but KDot still sacrifices some density in terms of the sheer number of rhymes in favor of bars that are actually memorable. Holy Key and That Part just sort of go by in a blur of internal rhymes. Again, I like technical, lyrical verses, but there's also a point where that kinda shit is just out-of-place and reaching too far. I'd say his two most recent verses are better than latter day Eminem and Tech N9ne bullshit easily, but that still doesn't mean they're enjoyable.

lmaooooooo, a few Drake stans were harassing Joe Budden on his block so Joe chased them down IN A CAR, cornered them, and threatened to kill them if they come back as they desperately tried to apologize

bahaahahahah what is even happening

https://twitter.com/PhillyCustoms/status/757396766744608770?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=283&v=vQntjZE_VeQ

Drake is chilling in his cocoa butter mansion laughing while Joe's literally fighting off the charmin soldiers at his doorstep. This is tooo much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom