• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
If the beef helps the music be dope then yreah; Hit 'Em Up is a song I still listen to. Same with Back to Back (although it's only been a year.)

I still think it's all a little corny; but corny doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of it. I mean I listen to Three Six. Corny just makes something ride a fine line that can easily have it fall on the side of terrible.

Playing off an ancient Canibus LL Dis'. All rap beef is corny to me personally.

I never understood why most rappers are quick to beef, honestly. Perhaps the psychological aspects of being a rapper kind of make for that personality? Hurt feelings? Attacking one's peers I think is overall just detrimental and sometimes even self-defeating, especially if some of these rappers start beefing in order to protect their self-image or esteem. If that's the case, I think there are targets out there worth tearing down or addressing in their raps.

Part of this makes me wish there was more rap that is about simply empowering oneself from individuals who drag us down everyday. Not to mention an audience out there, disillusioned and feeling oppressed as they are, would absolutely be able to get benefit from that.

Exodust

Banned
I never understood why most rappers are quick to beef, honestly. Perhaps the psychological aspects of being a rapper kind of make for that personality? Hurt feelings? Attacking one's peers I think is overall just detrimental and sometimes even self-defeating, especially if some of these rappers start beefing in order to protect their self-image or esteem. If that's the case, I think there are targets out there worth tearing down or addressing in their raps.

Rap has always been braggadocious. Battling has always been a big part of rap and for the most part you're expected to come at the best and prove yourself.

I don't have any issue with it, unless it is for some obnoxiously stupid reason. Maybe it's because I love a good diss track, but beefing is just part of the game.

Part of this makes me wish there was more rap that is about simply empowering oneself from individuals who drag us down everyday. Not to mention an audience out there, disillusioned and feeling oppressed as they are, would absolutely be able to get benefit from that.

oh man

Rap has always been braggadocious. Battling has always been a big part of rap and for the most part you're expected to come at the best and prove yourself.

I don't have any issue with it, unless it is for some obnoxiously stupid reason. Maybe it's because I love a good diss track, but beefing is just part of the game.

That's understandable. I'm the least competitive person I know though, so obviously proving oneself and competing hasn't really interested me all that much. Diversity in lyrical subject matter is always a good thing.

Yeah man.

Dereck

Back to the Future 4

d75r6fC.gif

SOMEONE GIVE ME THAT FUCKIN SAMPLE!

That's understandable. I'm the least competitive person I know though, so obviously proving oneself and competing hasn't really interested me all that much. Diversity in lyrical subject matter is always a good thing.

childplease.png
this from an eminem fan

Battling has turned super corny as it's gotten big again IMO. I can't take this a cappella clown show we call battling these days. The MCs, the crowd, the facial expressions, the body language, the hype men.... it all looks and sounds ridiculous. Takes like an hour to get through one battle because of all the pausing and showboating, get outta here.

rambis

Banned
I think the thing about the comments on drake is not necessarily that he caters to women. Its that he slyly maintains a street persona from time to time while still being simpish to women which is pretty much at ends with other. Its like charlemagne always says, pick a lane.

Battling has turned super corny as it's gotten big again IMO. I can't take this a cappella clown show we call battling these days. The MCs, the crowd, the facial expressions, the body language, the hype men.... it all looks and sounds ridiculous. Takes like an hour to get through one battle because of all the pausing and showboating, get outta here.

remember this classic:

you-mad-cuz-im-stylin-on-you-o.gif

Wrestling and rap is going to be a thing sometime sooner or later, will it?

Batting is fine if you're into that, but two rappers "beefing" I dunno. If it results in good music then sure, but all the other soap opera stuff has no appeal to me.

Looking back and thinking about the nature of beefing, I definitely have to agree with you. It can bring out rappers to simply bring their best. Though when battles get personal, there's definitely a line that can be drawn when the heat needs to somewhat die down. As the death's Pac and Biggie sadly illustrate.

Exodust

Banned

I'm not into actual battle rap, if I'm being honest. But diss tracks are the shit when on point.

Def Jam: Fight for New York was a great game

What I would give for another game with that combat system, too bad they had to fuck it up with Icon.

Wrestling and rap is going to be a thing sometime sooner or later, will it?

Rap is the ProWrestling of music genres. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

HiiiLife

I really don't get the praise for the album. Is it just the desperation to see Q succeed? Album is painfully average with no focus.

Dope Dealer still one of the best songs of the year though

Good thing YG is putting on for the west coast. I can always rely on him. #STILLBRAZYAOTY

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My soul's is too dark for this Noname album tbh. Same reason I can't get into Chance's stuff.

Solid project though.
My soul is the same but I can still appreciate the breezy shit when it works. Summer Friends is one of my favorite tracks of the year. Sometimes us Dark Souls need something soothing like that. To ease the pain. Need 2 listen to Noname. Really liked her on Lost with Chance.

My soul is the same but I can still appreciate the breezy shit when it works. Summer Friends is one of my favorite tracks of the year. Sometimes us Dark Souls need something soothing like that. To ease the pain. Need 2 listen to Noname. Really liked her on Lost with Chance.

I mean I'm not just seeking out "kill myself" music and bangers, but this soulful, light, sing-songy style ain't for me. I respect it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom