• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaf hop is actually dying

I wish people would help others actually gain further knowledge of rap. There's is too much bickering here, honestly.

Anyway, this album is amazing: Check it out Y'all!

j81380cdd38.jpg

Cheddahz

Banned
Snoop_Dogg_-_Da_Game_Is_to_Be_Sold,_Not_to_Be_Told.jpg

As I've been going through the No Limit Records discography, I stumbled upon the fact that the legendary Snoop Dogg released an album on the label, so I decided to check it out and I have to say, this might be my favorite No Limit Records album and Snoop album! Snoop delivers a really good flow on here and the lyrics on here are on POINT. The fact that this is a Snoop Dogg mixed with the best elements of a No Limit Records album makes this an instance classic!

10/10

Exodust

Banned
Let me guess, not br00tal enough for you?

Nah. I'm selective when it comes to death and black metal but I can appreciate the legends in that area. Opeth was just always boring to me, nothing about their music stands out.

But ok, keep stereotyping me as some trve fuck if it makes me voicing a different opinion easier for you to handle.

Nah. I'm selective when it comes to death and black metal but I can appreciate the legends in that area. Opeth was just always boring to me, nothing about their music stands out.

But ok, keep stereotyping me as some trve fuck if it makes me voicing a different opinion easier for you to handle.

Sorry, my mistake. Them being boring as fuck is fine criticism to me, the band is super divisive among metal fans as much as Metallica and Meshuggah, for two. I was just bracing the worst, especially since....eh fuck it. I'm in a better mood today.

I've had more than a few reactionary attacks on me from metal fans when you say you like them, and those comments often come completely left out of field and always consist of making asinine comments of them being Death Metal for teenagers or calling them fucking Mallcore. When I tell them I've been listening to Death Metal since 2005 and I didn't even like Opeth until 2013, they shut up. Especially when I tell them one of my early Death Metal favorites was Obscura by Gorguts.

Courage

Honestly, I feel the same way. And you'd think they'd be absolutely atrocious with their pretentious, artsy wankery, shitty acoustic sections, lifeless riffs, sterile production, overly long tracks that rarely amount to anything exciting, and don't forget the pristine death metal growls to add that death metal #edge. But nah, they're just plain, dull and forgettable for the most part. Like not even bad in an interesting trainwreck sorta way, which may be worse.

Honestly, I feel the same way. And you'd think they'd be absolutely atrocious with their pretentious, artsy wankery, shitty acoustic sections, lifeless riffs, sterile production, overly long tracks that rarely amount to anything exciting, and don't forget the pristine death metal growls to add that death metal #edge. But nah, they're just plain, dull and forgettable for the most part. Like not even bad in an interesting trainwreck sorta way, which may be worse.

I had this opinion for quite a while, actually. But I just couldn't view their music like this anymore. By the way, I know your just trolling.

Edit: And yeah, definitely the worst opinion I've ever read on this thread.

On another note, this is how I feel about Radiohead. Don't get me fucking started.

Exodust

Banned

Nail on the fucking head.

Sorry, my mistake. Them being boring as fuck is fine criticism to me, the band is super divisive among metal fans as much as Metallica and Meshuggah, for two. I was just bracing the worst, especially since....eh fuck it. I'm in a better mood today.

I've had more than a few reactionary attacks on me from metal fans when you say you like them, and those comments often come completely left out of field and always consist of making asinine comments of them being Death Metal for teenagers or calling them fucking Mallcore. When I tell them I've been listening to Death Metal since 2005 and I didn't even like Opeth until 2013, they shut up. Especially when I tell them one of my early Death Metal favorites was Obscura by Gorguts.

Konechkin, if you don't mind, may I ask how old are you?

I don't ask that in a negative way, I'm legitimately curious.

As far as how it goes for me: Some will probably be able to vouch for me here, my metal knowledge from the late 60's to about 1995 is wizard status. The 2000's was, in many ways, a bad decade for music. I don't mean that in releases and albums and such, but horrible for discourse, and especially so for metal.

Then, Metal was getting increasingly underground while the mainstream sound more and more drifted away from the core of the genre(while also contributing to it losing relevancy, but that's another topic) . Most of what we had was underground and billions upon billions of bad bands putting up their demos and shit. For a while everything sounded similar even if it was different sub genres, and what didn't was regressive and embarrassingly dusty without a lot of what made the old music timeless in the first place. Opeth was "THE band" of metal in that era and it encompassed the safe, boring and weak experimentation of the era. Now we look back and find a lot of good shit came out of that era, but man at the time was it clouded by the wretched filth(in a bad way) metalheads were putting up on a pedestal.

For a dude who was a metalhead for a while, you see Opeth and you see just the worst of the aughts rolled into one. I mean Mastodon is boring as shit too, but I'd rather listen to that whalefuck shit over Opeth any day.

tl;dr

Post about metal in the hiphop community thread, brehs. Just take it as a warning as how the genre might end up in the future :p

Nail on the fucking head.

Konechkin, if you don't mind, may I ask how old are you?

I don't ask that in a negative way, I'm legitimately curious.

As far as how it goes for me: Some will probably be able to vouch for me here, my metal knowledge from the late 60's to about 1995 is wizard status. The 2000's was, in many ways, a bad decade for music. I don't mean that in releases and albums and such, but horrible for discourse, and especially so for metal.

Then, Metal was getting increasingly underground while the mainstream sound more and more drifted away from the core of the genre(while also contributing to it losing relevancy, but that's another topic) . Most of what we had was underground and billions upon billions of bad bands putting up their demos and shit. For a while everything sounded similar even if it was different sub genres, and what didn't was regressive and embarrassingly dusty without a lot of what made the old music timeless in the first place. Opeth was "THE band" of metal in that era and it encompassed the safe, boring and weak experimentation of the era. Now we look back and find a lot of good shit came out of that era, but man at the time was it clouded by the wretched filth(in a bad way) metalheads were putting up on a pedestal.

For a dude who was a metalhead for a while, you see Opeth and you see just the worst of the aughts rolled into one. I mean Mastodon is boring as shit too, but I'd rather listen to that whalefuck shit over Opeth any day.

tl;dr

Post about metal in the hiphop community thread, brehs. Just take it as a warning as how the genre might end up in the future :p

25 right now. But my love for the band is simply their musical compositions which have an incredible power for me. Take this reaction I have or leave it, I'm not really interested in arguing over something that subjective. And really, this whole BS about throwing up knowledge is just a pointless, joyless dick waving contest and sucks out all of joy and love I get out of music. I'm simply not in the mood right now.

For my tastes in the genre, is The almighty Left Hand Path a good start to rave over? Altars Of Madness? The Erosion of Sanity? There's too much good stuff out there.

riotous

Banned
About 2 stream of consciousness dogshit posts about metal or Andrew's feewings from unsubscribing.

Went from 50% posts containing actual links to great music (thanks everyone, appreciate it, this thread gets a few daily visits from me and actually represents probably 25% of my music listening just clicking links here) to.... what the fuck is this?

Seriously shut the fuck up.. that includes not replying to this post.

About 2 stream of consciousness dogshit posts about metal or Andrew's feewings from unsubscribing.

Went from 50% posts containing actual links to great music (thanks everyone, appreciate it, this thread gets a few daily visits from me and actually represents probably 25% of my music listening just clicking links here) to.... what the fuck is this?

I'm replying to this post....I broke it!

I agree, really. I do prefer no frills posting, but that goes for everyone here not insulting each other's opinions on music or writing seemingly contrarian, deliberately harsh posts seemingly out of nowhere. The thread is always at its most peaceful and easy to have a conversation with an absence of all of that shit, especially unwarranted when the discussion does not revolve around discussing general opinions of a certain album or artist.

Being a college student sometimes suck for when you want to listen to new rap music, right now. I have the urge at times to buy more rap albums and I can't afford to do that right now, ha.

I've been trying to turn to Datpiff for tons of free mixtapes, though. Any Hip-Hop that takes its influence from 90's era Boom Bap worth checking out? The site is pretty dominated with Trap-influenced stuff.

Exodust

Banned

umad.png

I'll stop, didn't know two posts was enough to get your panties twisted. But I agree that this is the hiphop thread so I'll leave it to Des to continue posting dope links.

umad.png

I'll stop, didn't know two posts was enough to get your panties twisted. But I agree that this is the hiphop thread so I'll leave it to Des to continue posting dope links.

Easy mate....

It's tempting as hell to splurge on getting new Hip-Hop albums. I remember spending around 70 bucks just cold turkey on buying Rap albums at Zia Records (for those who are in the Arizona area, check out a Zia immediately. Awesome store with tons of music.)

Exodust

Banned
Whatevs, b.

Listened to Still Brazy earlier, it was aight. Some dude said it was a lot like 90's G-funk and i guess I can see where he's coming from I don't entirely agree. It' like My Krazy Life to me, I can vibe to it but I don't think I'll ever want to listen to it by choice.

Other than that, been all sort of dusthead. Just going through some Unreleased Hov stuff a little bit while I blast Biggie all day.

Whatevs, b.

Listened to Still Brazy earlier, it was aight. Some dude said it was a lot like 90's G-funk and i guess I can see where he's coming from I don't entirely agree. It' like My Krazy Life to me, I can vibe to it but I don't think I'll ever want to listen to it by choice.

Other than that, been all sort of dusthead. Just going through some Unreleased Hov stuff a little bit while I blast Biggie all day.

What unreleased jay stuff?

If you can't pay for music, Spotify is honestly the best alternative there is.

I've been a consistent fan of usually buying albums after I listen to them on YouTube, overall. Isn't Spotify mobile compatible? Unfortunately I only have a Windows smart phone.

I also barely find myself listening to music on my PC sitting down, anyway. Not being tied down to the computer really helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom