• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Must have missed that. I really wasn't interested in it or looking for any discussion because I'm not really a musical theater kind of guy, or theater in general really, but gotdamn it's kind of genius. 2 hours 20 minutes of Revolutionary War nerd rap, founding father cabinet rap battles, R&B, pop ballads, love songs, and tragedy.

I get why Hamilton is a thing now.

Love Story is capital "T" Trash.

Trunk Music Returns is his best project and stays underrated. The EP with DJ Paul was solid too.
I absolutely despise musicals and honestly think they should be prohibited by law. What little I saw of Hamilton from clips was super corny, like those Epic Rap Battles of History videos on Youtube. But maybe I'm judging it unfairly. I mean, there must be a reason why Questlove supports it (didn't the Roots even do the soundtrack?).

I absolutely despise musicals and honestly think they should be prohibited by law. What little I saw of Hamilton from clips was super corny, like those Epic Rap Battles of History videos on Youtube. But maybe I'm judging it unfairly. I mean, there must be a reason why Questlove supports it (didn't the Roots even do the soundtrack?).

Breh...

I understand how you feel 100%, which is why I wanted to gauge the thread a bit. There are 2 barriers you have to get through really, one being "The Musical", with everything that comes with that style of songwriting/singing, and the 2nd being really enunciated and lyrical rappity rap. But the way the story is adapted through modern music and the emotional journey it takes you on, and the foreshadowing and call-backs, omg.

Koozek

I understand how you feel 100%, which is why I wanted to gauge the thread a bit. There are 2 barriers you have to get through really, one being "The Musical", with everything that comes with that style of songwriting/singing, and the 2nd being really enunciated and lyrical rappity rap. But the way the story is adapted through modern music and the emotional journey it takes you on, and the foreshadowing and call-backs, omg.
Hm, I see. I was worried about The Get Down being too much musical too at first, but after the first episode that was directed by Baz Luhrmann it toned that down a bit. Btw, really dope show for anyone who hasn't checked it out yet (Netflix). It's kinda like a fictionalized 70's Hip Hop and New York documentary with some musical-like dance-offs and rap/DJ battles etc. Quoting myself from a while ago:
Have you guys watched The Get Down on Netflix? It's narrated by Nas, who lends his voice to the main character's future self, with a song before every episode summarizing the plot and the current political and social climate around that time in the 70's in New York. The first episode was directed by Baz Luhrmann (Romeo+Juliet, The Great Gatsby etc.). I didn't like it at first, but then it grew on me and it really is a fun, over-the-top and charming Hip Hop version of West Side Story. Starring fictionalized versions of Grandmaster Flash and Kool Herc (and the GOAT Jaden Smith). It's dope. Check it out, guys.

the-get-down-4.jpg

Whooo I never realized how thick the lyricism on Blue Magic was:
"Niggas wanna bring the 80s back
That's okay with me, that's where they made me at
Except I don't write on the wall
I write my name in the history books, hustle in the hall (hustle in the hall)
Nah, I don't spin on my head
I spin work in the pots so I can spend my bread"
Mentions pot and bread too much though.

Koozek

Whooo I never realized how thick the lyricism on Blue Magic was:
"Niggas wanna bring the 80s back
That's okay with me, that's where they made me at
Except I don't write on the wall
I write my name in the history books, hustle in the hall (hustle in the hall)
Nah, I don't spin on my head
I spin work in the pots so I can spend my bread"
Mentions pot and bread too much though.
You actually made me go back and listen to AG for the first time in 8 years or so with all your posts and I liked it better than I remembered.

You actually made me go back and listen to AG for the first time in 8 years or so with all your posts and I liked it better than I remembered.
You should write a more in depth post on it.
I'd like to know your thoughts, as well as the thoughts of ever other person who's relistened to it in this thread.

HiResDes

Moulin Rouge sucked.
I don't like 90 percent of musicals as well besides the occasional kitschy horror ones like Little Shop of Horrors and Sweeney Todd. Lynch and Jarmusch have musical moments that are pretty dope too though, like in Wild at Heart and Down by Law. I prefer movies with musical segments rather than total devotion to the genre.

LTTP but....

Has the thread ever talked about Hamilton? Yes, the musical. Anyone seen it live? Youse guys heard the album?

Been listening to it for a few days. Am I corny or is this incredible?

Anything that's on stage will have some corniness to it. Musicals even more so. I say this as someone who actually is on stage.

Hamilton is fine, I'd even call it funny. But boy do its fans love to talk about it.

Anything that's on stage will have some corniness to it. Musicals even more so. I say this as someone who actually is on stage.

Hamilton is fine, I'd even call it funny. But boy do its fans love to talk about it.

The more i think about, the more I tend to prefer music and other forms of art with theatricality and whatnot. I think that's maybe why there is so much Hip-Hop I find powerful or awesome here that a lot of people here find corny, such as Eminem who's often not subtle with his music. I'm also a Metal fan and find a lot of it emotionally powerful, while many people just find metal to be overblown and silly.

Yet, I do find it a tad interesting though that I'm not really into musical despite this, though. It may be the way the vocals are often written; and the subject matter is often pretty meh for me. In general, romance is my least favorite genre, fiction or otherwise. Ditto for songs with romantic subject matter.

your posts make me want to listen to it less
I mean I only talked about it as the result of a long post from the last page and in response to people who carried on their own conversations about it and then in one post on this page.
It's not like I've been going on a thread long crusade.
I'll be off of it soon.
Tl;dr praise Hova

Koozek

Blackstar was pretty damn good.

No Carrie and Lowell, though.

Ohhh, totally forgot about that even though I really loved the album when I first heard it a few months ago and then a few times after that. I have to be in the mood for it, though. In the same mood as when I'm listening to Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. You know what, think I'm gonna do that tomorrow.

Ohhh, totally forgot about that even though I really loved the album when I first heard it a few months ago and then a few times after that. I have to be in the mood for it, though. In the same mood as when I'm listening to Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. You know what, think I'm gonna do that tomorrow.

It's definitely my favorite Sufjan project. I'm not a very religious person, so while I loved Seven Swans, the subject matter did not completely resonate with me. Sufjan did so with Carrie and Lowell, and he did it in the musical style that I also found the most affecting for me personally.

On another note, Carrie and Lowell was released in 2015, sorry. I just meant to say that I don't think there was an album this year that I personally liked as much as I did Carrie and Lowell.

overcast

Angel Olsen - My Woman
Preoccupations - S/T
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
James Blake - The Colour In Anything
Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam – I Had A Dream That You Were Mine
Frank Ocean - Blonde
Avalanches - Wildflower
Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion Side B

Still haven't listened to a few albums though. Frank Ocean was disappointing but he would be somewhere on my list. I would say the first three listed are definitely the top 3.
We don't need this.

Koozek

Lol, Method Man cameo in Luke Cage. Man, I still can't get over how fucking cool and beautiful Misty Knight's actress is
BcpKZjv.png
Oh, and Reva. And Cage and Stryker's moms. And Candace. All this curly hair, man
whew.png

I'm surprised Nas doesn't have a photo with Louis Farrakhan, considering that Farrakhan track on Untitled,guess he isn't really with the nation, which is cool because far too many rappers are on Farrakhan's sociopathic cock.

CoolOff

Lol, Method Man cameo in Luke Cage. Man, I still can't get over how fucking cool and beautiful Misty Knight's actress is
BcpKZjv.png
Oh, and Reva. And Cage and Stryker's moms. And Candace. All this curly hair, man
whew.png

Tell me about it. And here I am up in cold ass Scandinavia getting bored with blondes.
mjcry1.png

Fjordson

What are your favorite non hip-hop albums of the year?
Angel Olsen - My Woman
soccer mommy - for young hearts
Crescendo - Unless
Hinds - Leave Me Alone
Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp
Ye Ali - Traphouse Jodeci
Banks - The Altar
Porches - Pool
Bwana - Capsule's Pride
Magic Potion - Pink Gum
Yung Bae - Bae 2
Jessy Lanza - Oh No
Ross From Friends - You'll Understand

Probably forgetting some stuff, but it's been a good year so far.

Koozek

Angel Olsen - My Woman
soccer mommy - for young hearts
Crescendo - Unless
Hinds - Leave Me Alone
Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp
Ye Ali - Traphouse Jodeci
Banks - The Altar
Porches - Pool
Bwana - Capsule's Pride
Magic Potion - Pink Gum
Yung Bae - Bae 2
Jessy Lanza - Oh No
Ross From Friends - You'll Understand

Probably forgetting some stuff, but it's been a good year so far.
Btw, in case you haven't watch it yet :D
Luke Cage should be Fjordson's wet dream judging by the laaadies *Bill Burr voice* in his avatars all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom