• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gambino is garbage.
Hot takes all around.

I'm not going to vigorously disagree with you since his bars are really really awful at times. Like I love "3005", but damn if that first verse doesnt make me actively recoil at times. It's awful but there is a phenomenal song lying underneath it. BTI is a cool concept that gets dragged down by not being fleshed out enough. It's a pretty superficial tale of ennui and love that's cool to think about but it's just not cohesive enough to be worth revisiting. Hence, with his eventual abandonment of the CG moniker and his pretty great writing on the first couple episodes of Atlanta, I have no doubt if he attempted the same thing this year, it'd be much better and maybe even be AOTY.

TL;DR: Glover has talent. A lot of it. His rap career has been dragged down by his emphasis on """witty""" bars and humor. If he's going the same way his acting career did, he's going to create something special and is someone I believe people should be paying attention to.

Koozek

We still using the production to cover up the fact that xanax has fried his drain? Man is literally drooling on those beats

I thought that was part of his flow (I don't remember, did he do that on his prior projects too?), but now that I'm thinking about it, maybe his addiction does play a part in it. Man, it's depressing to watch someone slowly destroy themselves with that stuff. How are the chances of recovering from medication addiction like that or lean and stuff?

Courage

Kanye
Ka
Young Thug
Denzel Curry
Danny Brown

HMs: Isaiah Rashad, Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Elucid, Billy Woods, Freddie Gibbs

Danny Brown
Q
Young Thug
Kanye
Vince Staples

Future will be back on the list soon when he drops another project. Waiting on Gibbs and a good Drake project too.

HiResDes

We still using the production to cover up the fact that xanax has fried his drain? Man is literally drooling on those beats
That's pretty much been part of his flow for a while. I disagree with all this bullshit about the mumbling, unless you're listening through paper cans it's very easy to understand what he's saying and he still showcases a bunch of lyrical prowess and is often more poetic than most rappers working today. You just have to kind of reflect on some of seemingly simple lines which are rather profound once you find that jumping off point to relate to what he's saying. He put out the best TDE project this year bar none, even though they've all been good.

Man, I think I listened to Kanye's 'Gone' like 12 times yesterday and today. What a song, honestly. Consequence is really great on this song (I liked him on Spaceship also) and the way the instrumental progresses from the vocal sample to just strings and drums in the last verse is genius.

Bacon

Man, I think I listened to Kanye's 'Gone' like 12 times yesterday and today. What a song, honestly. Consequence is really great on this song (I liked him on Spaceship also) and the way the instrumental progresses from the vocal sample to just strings and drums in the last verse is genius.

Top 5 yeezy song easily

Fjordson

One of my favourite Kanye songs for sure. The Cam verse has some hilarious lines.

Finally beat Uncharted 4 yesterday brehs. Overall I loved it. Tied with The Last of Us in feeling that I'm actually playing a movie, in the best way possible. However, the gameplay in TLoU is much more engaging and satisfying. But the story in this game was so outstanding I could live with some of the gameplay gimmicks. The antagonist was awesome and the plot thread of the brother and also the wife both resonated by the end. Naughty Dog continues to impress.

Next up, GTA V brehs. Holler at me on ps4.

Definitely the best game this year for me. Glad you loved it.

Hot takes all around.

I'm not going to vigorously disagree with you since his bars are really really awful at times. Like I love "3005", but damn if that first verse doesnt make me actively recoil at times. It's awful but there is a phenomenal song lying underneath it. BTI is a cool concept that gets dragged down by not being fleshed out enough. It's a pretty superficial tale of ennui and love that's cool to think about but it's just not cohesive enough to be worth revisiting. Hence, with his eventual abandonment of the CG moniker and his pretty great writing on the first couple episodes of Atlanta, I have no doubt if he attempted the same thing this year, it'd be much better and maybe even be AOTY.

TL;DR: Glover has talent. A lot of it. His rap career has been dragged down by his emphasis on """witty""" bars and humor. If he's going the same way his acting career did, he's going to create something special and is someone I believe people should be paying attention to.

Maybe garbage was a bit harsh, but his music is basura. BTI is bland musically, punchlines are cringe, and the concept feels hollow. Maybe he'll surprise me, but I doubt it.

HiResDes

The reason I didn't name artists like Marciano, Billy Woods, Gibbs, Ka, etc is that it seems like they're in the twilight of their careers and there's very little potential for growth considering they've all pretty much found and solidified a respective niche.

FZZ

Banned
Kanye
Trab
Thugger
Kendrick
Yachty

Danny Brown
Kendrick
Kanye
Drizzy
Thug

1x3XXcC.png

I don't get the Drake hate right now. Cudi dissed first. Drake responded in a Drake manner. Can't get upset how someone responds when you throw the first punch.

I don't get the Drake hate right now. Cudi dissed first. Drake responded in a Drake manner. Can't get upset how someone responds when you throw the first punch.

It's less that he responded, more what he tried to respond with.

He basically dissed Cudi for having mental health issues and taking drugs to alleviate that, only to make shitty music. That's a low blow.

DominoKid

Soft generation. Cudi deserved that.
I wouldn't let some druggie pop shit about me endlessly either. Drake let a lot of shit slide with Cudi.

It's less that he responded, more what he tried to respond with.

He basically dissed Cudi for having mental health issues and taking drugs to alleviate that, only to make shitty music. That's a low blow.

Nah come on now. NOW we have limits? THIS is going to far?

Homies out here rapping about assaulting people's wives and mothers and kidnapping children but mental health is where we draw the line?

Cudi team should have told him to hold his tongue if he couldn't take a response back about one of his obvious flaws.

Soft generation. Cudi deserved that.
I wouldn't let some druggie pop shit about me endlessly either. Drake let a lot of shit slide with Cudi.

Exactly! And you can't even say Drake went for the easy kill in that song since he also came for Pusha. The name of the song was perfect for the bars he dropped. People calling Drake lame for attacking weak old Cudi (stay out of the boxing ring then boy) but at the same time he went for Pusha while he should be dropping an album soon so you know he is going to respond.

Bacon

Low blows in rap when Meek talks about raping Drakes momma lol. Y'all dislike Drake so much.

Drake gets plenty of credit from this community when he makes dope music and he gets a lot of flak when he releases shit like Views. I don't really feel like there is this agenda against drake in this community that you keep talking about.

HiiiLife

Drake gets plenty of credit from this community when he makes dope music and he gets a lot of flak when he releases shit like Views. I don't really feel like there is this agenda against drake in this community that you keep talking about.

Cool, too bad this "taking it too" far talk has nothing to do with Views.

Nah come on now. NOW we have limits? THIS is going to far?

Homies out here rapping about assaulting people's wives and mothers and kidnapping children but mental health is where we draw the line?

Cudi team should have told him to hold his tongue if he couldn't take a response back about one of his obvious flaws.
Normally, I'd agree with you that mental health isn't really a low blow as far as things go, but two things exist that change the context of this:

1) Drake's a dude who's made millions wallowing in his feelings. Like, legit millions. He's made bank talking about that feeling when you break up with your ex, or that feeling when you love her and she don't, or that feeling when you and a girl connect and then never meet again. And now all of a sudden, he wants to act hard and chastise a man for publicly spilling his feelings in the open. Nah, that's not how it works.

2) Cudi's declaration changed the goddamn narrative. He's no longer some cocky dick, he's a dude struggling with mental illness and suicidal thoughts, who had the balls to tell his fans his public struggle and help people open up about their issues with it. He's damn near untouchable now as he's an icon for more freely talking about issues rarely talked about due to masculine stereotypes. And this is the dude Drake takes a shot at, taking the very positive thing Cudi's done in the eyes of the public and using it as a weakness of his.

In any other situation, Drake's shot would be alright. But, Cudi's declaration fucked it all up.

HiiiLife

Normally, I'd agree with you that mental health isn't really a low blow as far as things go, but two things exist that change the context of this:

1) Drake's a dude who's made millions wallowing in his feelings. Like, legit millions. He's made bank talking about that feeling when you break up with your ex, or that feeling when you love her and she don't, or that feeling when you and a girl connect and then never meet again. And now all of a sudden, he wants to act hard and chastise a man for publicly spilling his feelings in the open. Nah, that's not how it works.

2) Cudi's declaration changed the goddamn narrative. He's no longer some cocky dick, he's a dude struggling with mental illness and suicidal thoughts, who had the balls to tell his fans his public struggle and help people open up about their issues with it. He's damn near untouchable now as he's an icon for more freely talking about issues rarely talked about due to masculine stereotypes. And this is the dude Drake takes a shot at, taking the very positive thing Cudi's done in the eyes of the public and using it as a weakness of his.

In any other situation, Drake's shot would be alright. But, Cudi's declaration fucked it all up.

Hasn't Aubrey watched the final battle of 8 Mile at all.

Fjordson

Nah, definitely lots of Drake hate on here lol.

But that's not a GAF thing, that's a planet Earth thing. One of the most polarizing artists of his era. Maybe the most.

But that's not a GAF thing, that's a planet Earth thing. One of the most polarizing artists of his era. Maybe the most.
Nah, Yachty is polarizing. Yeezus is polarizing. K-pop is polarizing. Drake? Drake just has a divide between critical evaluation and popular evaluation of his albums.

I'd counter, Drake's one of the most popular artists alive, even his ardent critics still fuck with one or two of his songs. The masses love his albums, while his critics think he can do better because he has done better.

HiiiLife

It's what comes with being the most popular rapper in the past 6-7 years. It's mostly just cheeky/snide remarks from me like "Views AOTY" or "They wanna see the 6god fail" but I know people lowkey want this dude out the limelight lol. It ain't hard to tell.

HiResDes

Drake is definitely not polarizing. People just don't eat his shit here when he puts out a weed plate like Views unless you're part of the usual skid row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom