• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca6VcwRaOiw

tumblr_moza90gSuk1s5bh5uo1_500.gif
ygYj27.gif

so everybody agrees that Quavo should get feature killer 2016? killed every track he's been on this year.
Drake is up there too. Maybe Yachty for Broccoli and Mixtape? Not as many big artists doing multiple features I feel this year, but Quavo is probably MVP.

Work, My Love, No Shopping. I guess the first two are kind of R&B-y.

I think Riff's Balloween album leaked if you care about that sort of thing.

I hate that I find "Fake Love" so catchy. "Fake Love" the kind of song whose lyrics sorority girls post to be passive aggressive. It's the type of song that Instagram models post when they break up with their ex along with a selfie. It's the type of song that's going to get popular because its simple, catchy, and tropical themed.

I hate that I like it.

HiiiLife

I like Nothing Was The Same better.

Fine album. But Take Care has higher highs. I only find myself replaying a few tracks from NWTS, as opposed to playing TC front to back.

But my comment is saying people who dislike dudes current state of music keep trying to deter fans from listening or enjoying his songs, like it's really gonna change our opinion lol.

HiiiLife

I think Riff's Balloween album leaked if you care about that sort of thing.

I hate that I find "Fake Love" so catchy. "Fake Love" the kind of song whose lyrics sorority girls post to be passive aggressive. It's the type of song that Instagram models post when they break up with their ex along with a selfie. It's the type of song that's going to get popular because its simple, catchy, and tropical themed.

I hate that I like it.

You sound surprised a Drake song of all rappers is gonna be a thot anthem / popular / hate that you like it. Seems to be a pattern with a lot of people.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Run the jewels song didn't leave much of an impression on me :[

yup

RTJ2 was so great because they switched up their style and beats pretty heavily from song to song, this new track just sounds like some standard RTJ1 stuff

You sound surprised a Drake song of all rappers is gonna be a thot anthem / popular / hate that you like it. Seems to be a pattern with a lot of people.
Alright, yeah, maybe I honestly shouldn't be surprised at Drake making pop anthems, but I don't like the direction Drake took with VIEWS. This is how I see his discography: it starts of 8 out of 10 with So Far Gone, 6.5-7 out of 10 with Thank Me Later and even then that still has some really great songs like "Forever", "Fancy", and "Find My Love", then we hit 8.5-9 with "Take Care", "Nothing was the Same" takes it back to about 7.5 to 8, and then you have VIEWS, which plummets to a 2 on a bad day, 4 on a good one. (Haven't revisited IYRTITL in a while, though "Jungle" is phenomenal. Ultimate sad anthem.)The hot singles redeem it in some ways, but its a noticeable step back from the semblance of artistry Drake was showing before. There were attempts there to make something like a Kanye record, a true crossover album with massive critical and popular acclaim. And then, post-NWTS, he gives up, goes full culture-vulture, and shits out an album. There was a point where being a Drake fan was a thing to be okay with because he tried to be an artist, but now everyone and their goddamn mother loves a Drake song because he gave up artistry for pop appeal. He might run the rap game now, but I'll be damned if Drake ever gets considered on the same level as Kanye when it comes to music contribution in the long-run.

EDIT: Regarding his diss to Cudi, I think this quote from the Atlantic explains it a bit better than I can:
You could plausibly argue that it’s a different time now than when those feuds were happening. But you might not even need to go that far in order to say Drake misstepped. For one thing, his lines about Cudi would seem close to hypocrisy, undercutting his own virtues as a rapper famous for emotional venting and vulnerability. For another, he’s highlighted what made Cudi’s decision to go public with his struggles so remarkable. Drake’s attacking the guy for something he did exactly in spite of these kinds of attacks. He’s proving just how much guts his rival had—not the sign of a good diss.

overcast

Who are your top 5 rappers working brehs? Who are you curious to see continue to grow? Working in this case means released an album in the past 3 years or so.

Kendrick Lamar
Danny Brown
Q
Vince Staples
Kanye

Some people disappointed me lately. Namely: Drake, future, chance, Travis Scott, YG, Isaiah Rashad (kinda), and of course ASAP.

HiiiLife

I don't think it was ever "okay" to be a Drake fan in this community. Regardless of his vision. The fan base has always been shitted on for supporting an artist who "hip hop heads" refuse to acknowledge as rap. This has been that way since Best I Ever Had days. People were calling him pop since 09-10.

But yeah. It wasnt till a year or so ago everybody trying to ride the wave. It's funny seeing the people who swore he was wack back in the SFG days all about this Hotline Bling era because it's all you hear on the airwaves.

And SFG and TC still some of my fav projects ever in music. Classics to me. Maybe one day he'll get that trifecta a lot of other rappers seem to have.

^Drake Curren$y Kendrick Danny Gibbs

Who are your top 5 rappers working brehs? Who are you curious to see continue to grow? Working in this case means released an album in the past 3 years or so.

Kendrick Lamar
Danny Brown
Q
Vince Staples
Kanye

Some people disappointed me lately. Namely: Drake, future, chance, Travis Scott, YG, Isaiah Rashad (kinda), and of course ASAP.

Vince Staples
Earl Sweatshirt
Kanye (he's got one more classic in him for that quartet)
Kendrick
clipping. or just Daveed. I think he has a lot of talent, just a lack of vision. "Splendour and Misery" was a bit of a let down, but he's going to get it right, once he gets some better guidance.

Curious to see grow? Donald Glover.

Now hear me out, Gambino's had some pretty corny songs but that doesn't change the fact he has a real eye for talent, an active desire to evolve, and some dope beat selections ("3005" is a fantastic song ruined by off-bars). And now, with "Atlanta" and his desire to drop the CG moniker, I think he's well on his way to potentially dropping a classic. So, yeah, I'm intrigued to say the least

Fine album. But Take Care has higher highs. I only find myself replaying a few tracks from NWTS, as opposed to playing TC front to back.

But my comment is saying people who dislike dudes current state of music keep trying to deter fans from listening or enjoying his songs, like it's really gonna change our opinion lol.
I can listen to take care straight thru no problem. The others I have to skip around a bit especially if you're reading this(least favorite)

HiiiLife

After WMWTSO I would've said Mac Miller. But after Good am and Divine it's obvious the Mac I enjoyed started and ended with WMWTSO.

I'll say Gibbs for growth, still. Pinata is top 3 rap album for me this decade and I can see him catching lighting in a bottle twice with bandana.

The jump in quality from ESGN to Pinata is substantial. Not saying pre ESGN is bad either.

HiiiLife

I can listen to take care straight thru no problem. The others I have to skip around a bit especially if you're reading this(least favorite)

IYRTITL has such a strong run of tracks in the beginning for me, but as soon as it hits track 9 it gets a lil bumpy and I end up fast forwarding past verses or downright skipping altogether.

Vince Staples
Earl Sweatshirt
Kanye (he's got one more classic in him for that quartet)
Kendrick
clipping. or just Daveed. I think he has a lot of talent, just a lack of vision. "Splendour and Misery" was a bit of a let down, but he's going to get it right, once he gets some better guidance.

Curious to see grow? Donald Glover.

Now hear me out, Gambino's had some pretty corny songs but that doesn't change the fact he has a real eye for talent, an active desire to evolve, and some dope beat selections ("3005" is a fantastic song ruined by off-bars). And now, with "Atlanta" and his desire to drop the CG moniker, I think he's well on his way to potentially dropping a classic. So, yeah, I'm intrigued to say the least

Gambino is garbage.

xHiryu

Kendrick Lamar
Danny Brown
Q
Vince Staples
Kanye

Kendrick
Travis Scott
Rocky
Fabolous
Earl

after the 10/10 rodeo, birds was aight but still very enjoyable tho. idk bout ya but the newest Rocky album is aging like fine whine, jukebox joints' production is godlike
also salty that wtt 2 aint happening, come on ye/drake

ARK322

Neo Member

Kendrick Lamar
Danny Brown
Q
Vince Staples
Kanye

Kendrick
Freddie Gibbs
Danny Brown
Q
Thugger

I'd give Pusha T and Future honorable mentions as well.

HiResDes

Kendrick Lamar
Danny Brown
Q
Vince Staples
Kanye

You had me until you mentioned Rashad as a disappointment when he's 2 for 2

Vince Staples
Danny Brown
Earl Sweatshirt
Wiki
Isaiah Rashad

Kendrick Lamar
Danny Brown
Q
Vince Staples
Kanye

Freddie Gibbs
Kendrick Lamar
Vince Staples
Young Thug
Quavo

That said, my AOTY list for this year doesn't reflect this.

Fjordson

Drake
Young Thug
Blu
Isaiah Rashad
Bones

Blu is up and down, but he's had some nice projects lately and seems less crazy than before. Drizzy disappointed with Views, but I like the new tracks and I'm hoping his next record will be good. Other three have yet to disappoint.

Edit: forgot about Gibbs. Maybe take out Bones for Freddie.

Koozek

My first reaction would be to agree that it's really wack coming from Drake of all rappers. It feels kinda tasteless, but maybe I'm hypocritical right now, as there probably have been harder disses in Rap history. But come on, that really was the low hanging fruit for Drake and it's not like Cudi hasn't admitted to his mental state himself publicly. This is like dissing Em for what he already said about himself in that 8 Mile battle.

Detox

Anything goes on rap beef it just depends on how you do it. Like Jay's got scolded by his mum for smashing Nas' baby momma.

Hitta93

Banned
Top 5 rappers currently:
Roc Marci, even though we're close to 3 years of no official body of work.
Freddie Gibbs
Pusha T
Dave East...wasn't the biggest fan of his, but Kairi Chanel solidified him in the game.
Kodak

T Dollarz

Finally beat Uncharted 4 yesterday brehs. Overall I loved it. Tied with The Last of Us in feeling that I'm actually playing a movie, in the best way possible. However, the gameplay in TLoU is much more engaging and satisfying. But the story in this game was so outstanding I could live with some of the gameplay gimmicks. The antagonist was awesome and the plot thread of the brother and also the wife both resonated by the end. Naughty Dog continues to impress.

Next up, GTA V brehs. Holler at me on ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom