• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitta93

Banned
Normally, I'd agree with you that mental health isn't really a low blow as far as things go, but two things exist that change the context of this:

1) Drake's a dude who's made millions wallowing in his feelings. Like, legit millions. He's made bank talking about that feeling when you break up with your ex, or that feeling when you love her and she don't, or that feeling when you and a girl connect and then never meet again. And now all of a sudden, he wants to act hard and chastise a man for publicly spilling his feelings in the open. Nah, that's not how it works.

2) Cudi's declaration changed the goddamn narrative. He's no longer some cocky dick, he's a dude struggling with mental illness and suicidal thoughts, who had the balls to tell his fans his public struggle and help people open up about their issues with it. He's damn near untouchable now as he's an icon for more freely talking about issues rarely talked about due to masculine stereotypes. And this is the dude Drake takes a shot at, taking the very positive thing Cudi's done in the eyes of the public and using it as a weakness of his.

In any other situation, Drake's shot would be alright. But, Cudi's declaration fucked it all up.
Yawn.

LotusHD

Banned
Nah, Yachty is polarizing. Yeezus is polarizing. K-pop is polarizing. Drake? Drake just has a divide between critical evaluation and popular evaluation of his albums.

I'd counter, Drake's one of the most popular artists alive, even his ardent critics still fuck with one or two of his songs. The masses love his albums, while his critics think he can do better because he has done better.

This is basically exactly how I feel about Drake, especially the bolded.

HiiiLife

I always felt like the odd man out early when I was started posting here when it came to Drake. I don't think anyone else disliked Drake in GAF-HOP.

So you DO dislike drake

drake-12.w529.h352.gif

Nah, definitely lots of Drake hate on here lol.

But that's not a GAF thing, that's a planet Earth thing. One of the most polarizing artists of his era. Maybe the most.

i dunno, gaf hop was pretty high on drake pre-views. that album was so shit though it gave more people a reason to unleash the hate.

he needs to rise from the ashes (quality-wise, otherwise for his career he's on top of the game tho)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ye and Drake's music is not polarizing at all. Both figures that some people love to hate on but still high high key fuck with their music.

These are artists with songs with the type of reach and cultural permanence of Gold Digger, Stronger, and Started From The Bottom.

Ye and Drake's music is not polarizing at all. Both figures that some people love to hate on but still high high key fuck with their music.

Drake isn't polarizing. But how can you argue Kanye isn't?! the very nature of Yeezus alone is polarizing as hell. That aint an album for the top 40 hip hop charts. Neither was most of 808s at the time either.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Drake isn't polarizing. But how can you argue Kanye isn't?! the very nature of Yeezus alone is polarizing as hell. That aint an album for the top 40 hip hop charts. Neither was most of 808s at the time either.
Yeezus is, Kanye isn't, everyone loves Heartless then and now and that matters more than 808s as a whole TBH (which almost everyone has come around to, I feel).

Nibel

I don't get the Drake hate right now. Cudi dissed first. Drake responded in a Drake manner. Can't get upset how someone responds when you throw the first punch.

Selective morality on the internet is hilarious; it also exposes all the people who didn't follow the history between those two

Cudi can eat shit and so can everybody who thinks he's a victim here

Koozek

There's nothing more ironic than Drake blasting someone for going through phases. Come on. And I'm saying this as a years-long Drake fan.

Fake-EDIT: Okay, just saw torre's post. Yeah, perfectly said.

Normally, I'd agree with you that mental health isn't really a low blow as far as things go, but two things exist that change the context of this:

1) Drake's a dude who's made millions wallowing in his feelings. Like, legit millions. He's made bank talking about that feeling when you break up with your ex, or that feeling when you love her and she don't, or that feeling when you and a girl connect and then never meet again. And now all of a sudden, he wants to act hard and chastise a man for publicly spilling his feelings in the open. Nah, that's not how it works.

2) Cudi's declaration changed the goddamn narrative. He's no longer some cocky dick, he's a dude struggling with mental illness and suicidal thoughts, who had the balls to tell his fans his public struggle and help people open up about their issues with it. He's damn near untouchable now as he's an icon for more freely talking about issues rarely talked about due to masculine stereotypes. And this is the dude Drake takes a shot at, taking the very positive thing Cudi's done in the eyes of the public and using it as a weakness of his.

In any other situation, Drake's shot would be alright. But, Cudi's declaration fucked it all up.

Koozek

Selective morality on the internet is hilarious; it also exposes all the people who didn't follow the history between those two

I mean, I get you regarding the selective morality thing, but it's not even that I care that much about Cudi here, it's more that I'm disappointed in Drake for such a hypocritical, weak-ass diss. As I said, this is like dissing Em after his round in the battle in 8 Mile. To be honest, I haven't really followed Cudi's shots in the past except for a few of his Twitter rants. What did he say about Drake? It's clear from what place they were coming from, though. Dude's been ill for years.

Koozek

Wonder who's gonna be dumb enough to go as clowns this weekend around the city. Surely there's someone.
Been thinking about this too. This could be really, really dangerous in some parts of the world. I haven't followed the craze in Germany, but I can absolutely see some idiots doing it here too on Halloween.

damn, what will these people do now that everybody knows they didn't follow the Drake & Cudi beef

Here's my friends official video premier! Produced by Pete Rock "i been nice" by Ren Thomas.

Check it out! (sorry for the fb link I'll link to yt when it's up)

https://www.facebook.com/ambrosiaforheads/videos/1342393639128383/

Here's his appearance on Sway in the morning(he was recommended to Sway by Lord Sear) absolutely killed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HWu3VHeoew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEs66-w--0w

he sounds like killer mike

Nibel

damn, what will these people do now that everybody knows they didn't follow the Drake & Cudi beef

Maybe just shut the fuck up about things they don't really follow, but that would mean possibly missing out an opportunity to appear ethical for a night

The whole thing is being blown out of proportions and overshadows the Pusha vs Drake conflict which is way more interesting

Maybe just shut the fuck up about things they don't really follow, but that would mean possibly missing out an opportunity to appear ethical for a night

The whole thing is being blown out of proportions and overshadows the Pusha vs Drake conflict which is way more interesting

A rapper who has stagnated for like a decade and struggles on almost every single beat he hops on vs. an entertainer who doesn't write his own songs and loves to move between rap and pop as he and his corny fanbase see fit

way more interesting
comeon.png

Drake made his bed and now he's gotta lie in it. You can only change personas so many times until you're caught between them.

Cappa

Banned

he sounds like killer mike

Im biased and all I but I like that he isnt like alot of these white rappers these days that just rap really fast and you cant understand a damn thing they´re saying. The kid has got bars for days and I still think he killed it on Sway in the morning that freestlye was amazing.. he left Sway in disbelief lol.

His freestyling is incredible finished #1 in the US in 2013 for the EOW championships and then I think he placed #3 in the EOW World Finals in London. Hope it all translates to commercial success. Hes already doing big things working with legendary hip hop artists like Pete Rock, Lord Sear, Sean Price(r.i.p.)

Nibel

A rapper who has stagnated for like a decade and struggles on almost every single beat he hops on vs. an entertainer who doesn't write his own songs and loves to move between rap and pop as he and his corny fanbase see fit

way more interesting
comeon.png

Drake made his bed and now he's gotta lie in it. You can only change personas so many times until you're caught between them.

wow didn't know we gotta check with the hiphop police to know if a beef can be seen as interesting or not - keep this shit to the Booth please

Both are relevant, both can spit and I don't care if one is campaigning for Tim Kaine and the other is doing pop records. Not expecting the world here but throwing subliminal shots for years at each other has to result in something thta might be entertaining

Nibel

Never said that the Cudi/Drake beef itself is being blown out of proportions but the whole "Drake made fun of Cudi's mental issues" social media shit that has been going on
yawn3.png

Cudi vs Drake would be fun to watch as well but that would require both of them to be able to actually respond which doesn't seem to be the case right now

Drake, Polarizing? lmao

Also, Cozy Tapes drops on Halloween.

01. Yamborghini High
02. Crazy Brazy
03. Way Hii
04. Young Nigga Living
05. Nasty's World
06. Money Man
07. Put That On My Set
08. Motivation Foreign (Skit)
09. London Town
10. Runner
11. Bachelor
12. Telephone Calls

Can't wait, all 4 tracks that they've dropped have been fire.

Bacon

Views sells like a billion copies and he's polarizing. Ok then. It's clear some people just get upset when their favorite artist gets criticized.

Koozek

The rise and fall of DMX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG43J0n-NXw

I miss this guy a lot. I had no idea that all 5 of his albums were that succesful:eek:)
I highly recommend this Drink Champs episode with DMX. He sounds crazy on the surface with the way he speaks, but he still drops some gems here and there if you actually listen (except for when he goes too deep into that religious talk). It's sad to see how drugs seem to have fried his mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5uqqPBhU6U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom