• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eos

QNsnTY7.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
A bit late, but this Tinashe mixtape is really good. It's such a shame RCA keeps screwing her over, but she's doing this blend of hip-hop and R&B-pop really well. I'm excited now for Joyride.

T_T JAI WHY MUST YOU HURT ME SO.

Might listen to it eventually knowing there's Metro and The-Dream produced tracks.

Might listen to it eventually knowing there's Metro and The-Dream produced tracks.
The-Dream track is really nice with some old-school 8bit sounds on it. The Metro track is also really unexpected and pretty dope. Sacrifice and Ride of Your Life are pretty good as well. Strong recommendation.

Reckoner

Common really deserves all the praise right now.

Been listening to his album and watching his latest performances and it's just absolutely astonishing. So much soul.

Word. Let the Bass Go and The Formula have incredible beats.

It's really unfairly swept on. Straight Outta Compton gets all the praise, but it may be a better album.

Speaking of which, Straight Outta is a great album, but I've always thought it was overhyped to death. I mean Something 2 Dance 2. Enough said.

HiiiLife

Northern Arizona does. Flagstaff is great for that.

But Colorado is probably better to live unless you don't like the cold. I've been there before, great state.

It's a great state for sure. I just hate snow and the cold in general. I'll take dry desert heat / humid heat and not care that I never see all of the seasons.

Winter is nice to look at through pictures.

It's a great state for sure. I just hate snow and the cold in general. I'll take dry desert heat / humid heat and not care that I never see all of the seasons.

Winter is nice to look at through pictures.

It's weird here though. The desert landscape is ugly as fuck in Phoenix, and the whole place is dry as hell. No rain sucks most of all. Pima County is better though, the landscape is a green desert at times. Nothing really compares to Colorado's natural open space.

Oh and Summers are AWFUL here. You have no idea.

HiiiLife

It's weird here though. The desert landscape is ugly as fuck in Phoenix, and the whole place is dry as hell. No rain sucks most of all. Pima County is better though, the landscape is a green desert at times. Nothing really compares to Colorado's natural open space.

Oh and Summers are AWFUL here. You have no idea.

My brother stays in southern Utah (st George area) and I have a sister in Vegas so that's probably the closest to dry heat I've dealt with. If Arizona gets worse than that then damn

Natural

I know someone or another brings this up every other month but

Be is a truly special album brehs, honestly I don't listen to it as much as I should for how high I regard it as, but it really has this magical quality to it for me. Every time I listen I submerge myself in the production and how Common comes perfect on every beat.

He worked with her, she was his lady's best friend
Even if they don't try some ladies test men
And this was a test that was bigger than him
Some believe its the nature that is given to men
He had a good gig, a wife, a kid, a decent home
One reason or another couldn't find peace at home
She asked, "Why do men always have to stray?"
He said, "I'm bad, not as bad as Eric Benet"

Trying to find herself again, much of that she'd have gave
Love can free us, to it some of us react as a slave
Funny, we love 'em more when they're relaxed in a grave
Wonder if a thug is raw, is he actin' afraid?

Felt the Southside venom in raw hides and denim
Pimp minds collide with 'em, a system that tries victims
We livin' in, my man in the fast lane pivotin'
On the block white is selling like Eminem
On the block it jump off like Kim and 'em

And one of my favourite verses and songs of all time:

I want to be as free as the spirits of those who left
I'm talking Malcolm, Coltrane, my man Yusef
Through death grew conception, new breath and resurrection
For moms, new steps in a direction
Bush pushing lies, killers immortalized
We got arms but won't reach for the skies
Waiting for the Lord to rise, I look into my daughter's eyes
And realize I'ma learn through her
The Messiah, might even return through her
If I'ma do it, I gotta change the world through her

My favourite Common album, was actually listening to it again the other day.

Got his new one Black America Again but not listened to it properly yet.

Dereck

I found the Skoobzilla tape to be mostly average.

However that track with Skippa da Flippa, Quavo and Young Thug is fire because of the way they trade verses.

illadelph

It's really unfairly swept on. Straight Outta Compton gets all the praise, but it may be a better album.

Speaking of which, Straight Outta is a great album, but I've always thought it was overhyped to death. I mean Something 2 Dance 2. Enough said.

That was the final track for a reason. It doesn't fit with the rest of the album at all.

I'd probably put Doggystyle as my favorite Dre album, but No One Can Do It Better and Niggaz4Life definitely do get slept on.

fuck, Eazy-Duz-It never gets talked about anymore, either

Common really deserves all the praise right now.

Been listening to his album and watching his latest performances and it's just absolutely astonishing. So much soul.

BAA is the most cohesive, well curated mainstream rap album Ive heard this year. And like I said before, he gets his emotional and intellectual point across as well as anyone screaming emotively over a psychedelic beat.

I always thought Efil4Zaggin had the best production Dre was ever involved in. And I say this as a Chronic stan.

Good way to say it, heh.

That was the final track for a reason. It doesn't fit with the rest of the album at all.

I'd probably put Doggystyle as my favorite Dre album, but No One Can Do It Better and Niggaz4Life definitely do get slept on.

fuck, Eazy-Duz-It never gets talked about anymore, either

Eazy-Duz-It....never even heard that one.

T Dollarz

Libraries all depend in the town's funding to support it. The town I'm in right now with my parents is white trashy, thus the library is pretty garbage. Some surrounding towns that are more wealthy have nice ass public libraries that are actually a joy to chill in.

I have no idea as to whether or not I should go for this. On one hand, I like ATCQ, but on the other, I don't think I like them enough to go through another pop-up shop ordeal again.
Libraries all depend in the town's funding to support it. The town I'm in right now with my parents is white trashy, thus the library is pretty garbage. Some surrounding towns that are more wealthy have nice ass public libraries that are actually a joy to chill in.
Truth fact. I was lucky enough to live in suburban California and my library was so ridiculously nice. 2 floors, a nice courtyard area, a huge "teen" (read: trashy YA and comics) section, and a pretty big video game section. It's just such a shame that no one really thinks about the libraries any more. While the internet has been such a blessing, it pretty much just sucks the patience out of you. If I grew up now, I'm 100% sure I'd be a hell of a lot less eloquent and/or randomly knowledgeable and a hell of a lot more meme-filled and awful.

Pretty much this. I may be on the prowl for the best libraries in America, or something.

HiResDes

that new common album is real, always fucked with his flow and delivery

red wine is too smooth
I really wanted to love it but I find myself struggling to ever want to go back to it. I listened to it twice now and I have some pretty strong impressions of it that I doubt will alter much at all over time because they're so solidified. Someone here had the audacity to compare this shit to TPAB and so that coupled with the powerful track I heard on the 13th resulted in my expectations possibly being too high. The problems that people falsely accuse TPAB are amplified and realized on Commons album.

Anyway there are quite a few problems with the album my opinion. First of all Common's lyrical content is entirely too on the nose and lacks imagination to really mask just how pedantic he gets on this album. Rarely does he internalize and personalize the struggle he's describing, he raps from this almost third party perspective and resorts to just preaching about what should be and what is not. The genius of TPAB is how Kendrick was able to speak on these internal conflicts and reflect on them in a way that could also apply to the larger black struggle today, and thus by positing himself within the conflict he avoids sounding overly pedantic.

Furthermore, sonically the album has even greater weaknesses. Most of the songs fall into the same formula with Common rapping over tracks that sound like reject neo soul filler. The songs would sound more at home as middling India Arie tracks or Jill Scott b-sides and Common's contributions are largely unwarranted and wreck the flow of each. There's a track somewhere in the middle of the album where the beat switches up and Common goes in on some vintage Common Sense shit and the pace actually ramps up quite significantly and his lyrical prowess also seems to be upgraded significantly. However, this moment just further highlights the stagnant state the rest of the album finds itself in and its squandered potential. When the track ends Common and the album resort to the same weak Neo Soul niche they were operating from before.

The little gospel flourishes on the album sound like weak cash ins on the popularity of Pablo and Coloring Book, the few funk and soul flourishes are never as fully realized as on TPAB. You can tell what Common was trying to do with this by basically shedding light on the beauty and resilience of the black culture but the end result never realizes it and the black militance teased by the soundtrack track is pretty much a one off on the album. On the whole it's just a weak, predictable and immemborable affair. And the stories and sermons contained within it have been told better elsewhere.

my libraries are mostly homeless shelters. whatever, do what you gotta do to stay out of the cold i guess. maybe read a book during your stay too.

HiResDes

my libraries are mostly homeless shelters. whatever, do what you gotta do to stay out of the cold i guess. maybe read a book during your stay too.

Ohio frequents libraries more than any other state, but it seems like it's still 80 percent occupied by the homeless. We have really nice ones, but bed bugs are pretty rampant.

I really wanted to love it but I find myself struggling to ever want to go back to it. I listened to it twice now and I have some pretty strong impressions of it that I doubt will alter much at all over time because they're so solidified. Someone here had the audacity to compare this shit to TPAB and so that coupled with the powerful track I heard on the 13th my expectations might have been too high. The problems that people falsely accuse TPAB are amplified and realized on Commons album.

Anyway there are quite a few problems with the album my opinion. First of all Common's lyrical content is entirely too on the nose and lack imagination to really mask just how pedantic he gets on this album. Rarely doesn't he internalize and personalize the struggle he's describing, he raps from this almost third party perspective and resorts to just preaching about what should be and what is not. The genius of TPAB is how Kendrick was able to speak on these internal conflicts and reflect on them on a way that could also apply to the larger black struggle today, and thus by positing himself within the conflict he avoids sounding overly pedantic.

full

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom