• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Future sleep. Dude just put out PR a few weeks ago and now EVOL.

I was listening to YTs "Im up" but then I find out SS3 is also coming out soon.

I cant keep up with all these releases.

FZZ

Banned
Yeah I started to talk about a bunch of things at once my bad

Lol nah it's all good, I agree. So many projects its hard to keep up. Especially with Kanye's album coming soon.

Seems like everyone is trying to rush out their shit before the Spirit Bomb drops.

Syntsui

Just got home, have no idea what's going on. All I see are the same reactions from when WATTBA dropped.

So it's on Apple Music/iTunes already?

Lol nah it's all good, I agree. So many projects its hard to keep up. Especially with Kanye's album coming soon.

Seems like everyone is trying to rush out their shit before the Spirit Bomb drops.

Yeah word. Between I'm Up and EVOL I got my gym playlist ready for this weekend

HERCU HERCULES WOO WOO WOO WOO

Dereck

He is right though, Cartoons & Cereal was Kendrick peaking it's been all downhill since.
post-34563-Godfather-speechless-gif-think-nx2S.gif

Ever since Control dropped, Kendrick's rapping voice changed, for the worse? Dunno
for the better imo. alot of his earlier stuff, especially from overly dedicated and back is really grating because of his voice.

One of his biggest improvements is that he has way more control over his voice and inflections. Really shows on TPAB.

DominoKid

are there production credits for EVOL yet. im wondering who made some of these beats. i can kinda tell a few but i know they do a lot of co-prods

Kendrick is arguably the most overrated rapper of the last 20 years.

EVOL is crazy. Seven Rings...damn. I think this is better than DS2, a lot more consistent and the production is better. And I agree Southside>Metro

Fjordson

Kendrick has definitely gone downhill for me, but I wouldn't say he's overrated. I'm not even sure what that term means when it comes to subjective shit like music.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Kendrick has definitely gone downhill for me, but I wouldn't say he's overrated. I'm not even sure what that term means when it comes to subjective shit like music.

How has he gone downhill for you? Just looking for someone to explain this perspective.

Fjordson

How has he gone downhill for you? Just looking for someone to explain this perspective.
Everything about his delivery and presence on the mic is grating to me on most tracks. Especially like his vocal flourishes and his singing. I respect his technical skill and lyrical prowess, but if I'm not just reading rap genius then shit has to sound good for me to not turn it off. The "downhill" comment stems from that being less of a problem for me on something like Section.80.

Though to be clear, I don't mean to suggest that Section.80 is like the GOAT album and then all of a sudden he's trash. I've always been somewhat indifferent towards his work.

Kendrick can rap but that's about it. His song writing is weak which is why he has almost no hits. He has great production on his albums but over works the beats with his non stop rhymes. Lack of melody...although he's getting better in that regard. No one tries harder to make average at best music IMO. His last album has some good moments but he's the worst thing about it. The production is outstanding too which makes this frustrating.

And he seems to be morphing into Lupe Fiasco. I understand wanting to have a message but you can't have fun as well? King Kunta is probably the only fun record on his last album. I can't get a few tracks I can play when I invite my buddies to a party on the apartment roof? He wants to be James Brown without the sex machine and it's not gonna work. James Brown had lots of conscious records like King Heroin but he also had a lot of funky stuff you could party to.

Kendrick can rap but that's about it. His song writing is weak which is why he has almost no hits. He has great production on his albums but over works the beats with his non stop rhymes. Lack of melody...although he's getting better in that regard. No one tries harder to make average at best music IMO. His last album has some good moments but he's the worst thing about it. The production is outstanding too which makes this frustrating.

And he seems to be morphing into Lupe Fiasco. I understand wanting to have a message but you can't have fun as well? King Kunta is probably the only fun record on his last album. I can't get a few tracks I can play when I invite my buddies to a party on the apartment roof? He wants to be James Brown without the sex machine and it's not gonna work. James Brown had lots of conscious records like King Heroin but he also had a lot of funky stuff you could party to.
I disagree on just about every single point but i appreciate you explaining your point of view

IrishNinja

teamlongdicksswangin takin shots at the god, first it's no to lyrics in 2k16, not even half a page later we dumpin on kdot? nahhhh

"My Favorite rapper on TDE is Ab-Soul"

this is like when rakim named his top 10 and left nas off

Honestly, I don't like it. Travis barker overpowers the production imo. And Asher seems to be spitting random shit that rhymes. I usually like when his songs have a theme.

And I was a big fan of asher back in the day. Foie Gras was his peak imo, but his cypher last year was dope.

He was like little dicky before little dicky.

damn, disappointing but agreed on both Foie & litle dicky comment, though i enjoyed dude more than dicky

...lotta dick in this post

TPAB would be better if Thug did it. Better ear for melody and also uses his voice as an instrument better. Thug probably doesn't listen to jazz or funk but you can hear that stuff in his voice nonetheless.

riotous

Banned
Y'all are feast or famine it seems; I continue to like Kendrick but never loved him.

This EVOL is pretty dope though; almost wish I still was a punk with a pair of twelves in my trunk. Ain't No Time has that turn your woofer inside out shit.

I'm Up is decent too; good day for trap music.

Ninja Dom

What a weekend!!!

I got 3 albums to listen to. I'm Up, EVOL and Khalifa. I'm listening in that order too.

Almost finished I'm Up and it's pretty good actually. Not as bad as those early GAF-Hop impressions from yesterday. EVOL next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom