• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

Late Orchestration is not Late Registration, even though Ye did a lot of orchestral work on LR w/Brion.

A lot of the tracks are orchestral in nature, and even the ones that don't utilize a full orchestra still feel grandiose in their scope. Tell me what other song in Kanye's discog sounds like We Major or Bring Me Down or Gone particularly due to the arrangements that are involved.

I won't lie, LR is the one Kanye album with the most staying power and least duds in it, even if it doesn't have the thematic weight and tremendous highs of MBDTF. They're his two best albums.

808s & Heartbreak >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else

fmWOb0n.gif

Koozek

A lot of the tracks are orchestral in nature, and even the ones that don't utilize a full orchestra still feel grandiose in their scope. Tell me what other song in Kanye's discog sounds like We Major or Bring Me Down or Gone particularly due to the arrangements that are involved.

I won't lie, LR is the one Kanye album with the most staying power and least duds in it, even if it doesn't have the thematic weight and tremendous highs of MBDTF. They're his two best albums.
beSFiXF.png

I really like this zeloperz. It is super refreshing crazy man raps that I've missed since Ferg's last mixtape. It has a higher sheen to it than Ferg's tape and is possessed by ODB himself at points. It's also a really concise listen.

thabiz

I really like this zeloperz. It is super refreshing crazy man raps that I've missed since Ferg's last mixtape. It has a higher sheen to it than Ferg's tape and is possessed by ODB himself at points. It's also a really concise listen.

Yeah I'm feeling it. Dudes just insane on the mic, like he escaped a mental institution.

Charlie Sloth hyping Sully's Kano's upcoming FITB as maybe the best ever. The only grime album i have (somewhere) is a Kano record. Convinced me to have a quick look at his new album which i've heard great things about.

Endz
New Banger
*in* shit is exceptional

HiResDes

Oh my god this Travis Scott defense is awful. Anthony should be ashamed, I've been crying about that review for a while now too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Needledrop's Rodeo review is an outlier in that it's the only good one in years. Really gets at how insanely well put together that album. I think he even got at the S class use of transitions on it too.

Tink - Circle The Block. Dope.

Oh my god this Travis Scott defense is awful. Anthony should be ashamed, I've been crying about that review for a while now too.

Cliff notes? Can't watch right now.

Travis Scott probably has more potential than anyone right now IMO. He's not there yet, I wasn't that impressed by Rodeo...but the talent and potential are there.

OG Kush

Kano is a legend.

Check out, his new mini documentary on the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXx4nHauyU

Also, his garage skank freestyle was decent, but AJ Tracey killed the beat much better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QFEUW6WRmQ

Also can any US guys explain me what happened the freestyle culture in the US? What happened to rappers being rappers? The UK Grime/Hip Hop culture is based a lot on rappers putting in the work through freestyle radio shows, freestyle videos etc. Its got that Dancehall culture where everyone takes a turn on the same riddim. Not surprising though, as UK urban culture is heavily influence by Caribbean culture. I also feel that radio culture is very big in the UK? I mean in terms of pirate radio. Pirate radio is where everyone makes a name for themselves by spitting. TBF, London is pirate radio capital of the world though.

But yeah, I wish US rappers were dropping more freestyles n shit. Just rapping in the street, on the radio.. what happened to it?! Me and my mates are constantly listening to UK freestyles, just wish the US cats were more on that competitive rap tip. Tim Westwood and Charlie Sloth are legends in the game for this.

DominoKid

Check out, his new mini documentary on the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXx4nHauyU

Also, his garage skank freestyle was decent, but AJ Tracey killed the beat much better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QFEUW6WRmQ

Also can any US guys explain me what happened the freestyle culture in the US? What happened to rappers being rappers? The UK Grime/Hip Hop culture is based a lot on rappers putting in the work through freestyle radio shows, freestyle videos etc. Its got that Dancehall culture where everyone takes a turn on the same riddim. Not surprising though, as UK urban culture is heavily influence by Caribbean culture. I also feel that radio culture is very big in the UK? I mean in terms of pirate radio. Pirate radio is where everyone makes a name for themselves by spitting. TBF, London is pirate radio capital of the world though.

But yeah, I wish US rappers were dropping more freestyles n shit. Just rapping in the street, on the radio.. what happened to it?! Me and my mates are constantly listening to UK freestyles, just wish the US cats were more on that competitive rap tip. Tim Westwood and Charlie Sloth are legends in the game for this.

Theres no money in it. Rapping for the sake of rapping been dead.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Freestyle culture and rappity rap lyricism has mostly relegated to battle rap, but I don't think it really died, just kind of looked at differently now. Ever since Drake broke down doors and make it so people didn't even have to pretend their frees were writtens anymore and could just straight come in saying they were writtens, the game changed, and pretty much anything labelled a freestyle is a remix in actuality.

Almost all of the major hip-hop media outlets push for freestyles and cyphers today, and it's been a huge part of the transition from print media to websites. And they have decent popularity for what it is, too. Look at the XXL Cyphers, the metric tons of freestyles Sway puts out, people getting clowned for having wack freestyles, etc. I think part of that is the swing back to appreciating lyricism in the mainstream, led by J. Cole and Kendrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom