• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Kush

Freestyle culture and rappity rap lyricism has mostly relegated to battle rap, but I don't think it really died, just kind of looked at differently now. Ever since Drake broke down doors and make it so people didn't even have to pretend their frees were writtens anymore and could just straight come in saying they were writtens, the game changed, and pretty much anything labelled a freestyle is a remix in actuality.

Almost all of the major hip-hop media outlets push for freestyles and cyphers today, and it's been a huge part of the transition from print media to websites. And they have decent popularity for what it is, too. Look at the XXL Cyphers, the metric tons of freestyles Sway puts out, people getting clowned for having wack freestyles, etc. I think part of that is the swing back to appreciating lyricism in the mainstream, led by J. Cole and Kendrick.

Yeh I do feel Drake shook things up a bit. But I also feel theres 2 schools of thought on what a Freestyle is. To a lot of people, including myself, a freestyle does not mean its off the dome, in the sense you're coming up with what you're rapping on the spot. It means that they're rapping pre-thought out stuff, maybe some stuff added on the spot but adapting it to the beat, changing their flow etc.
If you look at UK rave culture, in terms if Jungle, Garage, DNB and Grime MCs - they're not coming up with all their lines on the spot, but what makes a rave MC great is hes adapating it to the DJ's music.

Anyways, I digress... all i want is some old school US freestyles n cyphers! Fuck these rappers who think they're too cool to do it... "all I wanna do is make art maaayyyne" shit they say.. just rap bars to a hard beat once a while, have some fun with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeh I do feel Drake shook things up a bit. But I also feel theres 2 schools of thought on what a Freestyle is. To a lot of people, including myself, a freestyle does not mean its off the dome, in the sense you're coming up with what you're rapping on the spot. It means that they're rapping pre-thought out stuff, maybe some stuff added on the spot but adapting it to the beat, changing their flow etc.
If you look at UK rave culture, in terms if Jungle, Garage, DNB and Grime MCs - they're not coming up with all their lines on the spot, but what makes a rave MC great is hes adapating it to the DJ's music.

Anyways, I digress... all i want is some old school US freestyles n cyphers! Fuck these rappers who think they're too cool to do it... "all I wanna do is make art maaayyyne" shit they say.. just rap bars to a hard beat once a while, have some fun with it.
If you're really into that kind of stuff, I suggest you sub to SwaysUniverse (and maybe ThisIs50) on Youtube. They both consistently put out cypher videos.

I think how much that skillset, whatever you call it, matters is relative to the competition or local scene. UK hip hop culture is wholly it's own thing; freestyles might build buzz here, but in the US you need a fire single followed by a fire EP.

Who's the last major artist who got signed off of a freestyle in the US anyways? Big Sean? That's a long time ago.

EDIT: Someone was asking about best cypher verses before, and Bill Collector's verse here is probably my favourite thing to go back to.

People always talking bout you gotta go hard
I started out robbing papi with the crowbar
Had dreams of meeting poppy at the boatyard
Paying a couple hundred thousand to the coastguard

Ohnonono

What part of the video are you guys talking about? Can't watch it completely, right now.

Most of it. Especially at the end of episode 4, and end of 3. Dude is out of his mind on Xanax and lean through the whole thing though. I know lots of dudes do that stuff but he seems like he is on one 24/7. My dude is gonna hurt real bad if he was to not be able to get a hold of that stuff.

Courage

and it will still turn out better than Trap Lord did

Ferg Forever > Trap Lord

YCGhedh.gif

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
really feeling this article

Yeah, this only solidifies me as being real, real old, but this is me in a whole nutshell. I find records I like and then I listen to them. I still buy records because I want to listen to them on my terms. I don't fault anybody for doing how this article complains about, but I can't ingest music that way. A good example is that I'm still listening to DS2 and WATTBA for my Future fix. He's got what, 4-5 projects since? I haven't even touched them yet. I'll get around to it.

The records I listen to once or twice and never listen to again are records I do not consider to be good. Yet, that feels like how most people do music now. Stream it once or twice and move on. And why not? We have more quality music now at our finger tips than we have ever had before. Of course folks are going to want to keep it moving.

That mindset is why Fantano is so popular. The guy reviews what, 300+ records a year? How in depth do you really think he's listening? He's articulate and able to use Rolling Stones-esque lingo, but is he really capable of picking up on nuance when faced with a backlog that numbers in the hundreds? I have my doubts.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Listening to YRN. It has some throw away tracks, but Versace, Bando, Chirpin, Finesser, Hannah Montana and a few others are still so great. As much as I love Future and Thugger this is still the most definitive new ATL project.

riotous

Banned
Yeah, this only solidifies me as being real, real old, but this is me in a whole nutshell. I find records I like and then I listen to them.

I feel like the article is exagerating; people wanting attention on the internet for making hyperbolic statements about music right after it releases isn't necessarily singling a change in how the majority of people listen to music.

I think most people find the music they like, then listen to it over and over. Not a massive difference from 20 years ago other than the shear amount of music available. But the article is also downplaying how many albums were available back then; like they only listened to massive mainstream rappers or something. Sounds like they were an East Coast head with the way they complained about No Limit releasing so many records; those of us with broader tastes were buying that shit up and listening to it. Yeah I made fun of Master P's candy paint/gold datons/ugggg rap computer that spit out the same lyrics but the other 10-11 songs on all of those random No Limit albums were usually more unique. And there were a ton of smaller labels like that, and labels that eventually caught on like Hypnotized Minds.

Dereck

@thabiz, this DirtyDiggs ain't bad at all. Rappers are middle of the road, the instrumentals are great.

24 Karat Kevlar

pISXsjx.png

FZZ

Banned
This new Denzel is really fucking good.

The last track is the only one I'm kinda iffy on. Everything else is fire.

I didn't like This Life that much tbh, gonna need to listen to it again. 2nd verse on Pure Enough was amazing. Really really good project, especially since I didn't feel 32 Zel that much. First three tracks as a run were amazing.

And yeah track 10 is definitely the weakest one.

3 for 3 right now on Imperial.
Sick & Tired is sick.

2ef2b57773b4fdd6c9702e5d15299b81.jpg

Edit: The start of Curry's flow on Sick And Tired is some Danny Brown x Drake shit, I fucking love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom