• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I listened I HATED it so so much

Then I just listened to Ain't It Funny and Really Doe and decided to give the album another chance

Ended up in my Top 10 for 2016

cool album. should check out XXX though, it's his GOAT. and one of the best rap albums of the century forreal.

Yeah, I was going to check out XXX next. Ain't It Funny and Tell Me What I Don't Know are pretty amazing. The atmosphere of the album is something special, I really like albums that have this sort of overarching theme (Liquid Swords always comes to mind).

Rate from best to worst

against the grain here, but
I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
Honor Killed the Samurai
Summertime '06
TPAB
Atrocity

Not supposedly. Emotions is good

It is, but I still like KISS more. I'm happy CRJ blew up, but I wish so many hadn't missed that second album--it's a wonderful collection of pop songs. It's like it took Dev Hynes getting on board for the hip blogs / music kids to finally give her the attention she deserved

Eos

Super future about to bless us
full

Finally got around to listening to The Score. It's pretty good but kind of overrated. Lauryn Hill probably should have rapped on the entire thing, honestly.

Catvoca

Banned
Maroon 5 in that song was actually good which is why Future being so ass on the song made it even worse

Was pretty much the same with the song they did with Kendrick. Dunno why they bother getting rappers that don't fit their music at all.

Grammys head honcho Neil Portnow on the Grammys race problem.
No, I don’t think there’s a race problem at all. Remember, this is a peer-voted award. So when we say the Grammys, it’s not a corporate entity—it’s the 14,000 members of the Academy. They have to qualify in order to be members, which means they have to have recorded and released music, and so they are sort of the experts and the highest level of professionals in the industry. It’s always hard to create objectivity out of something that’s inherently subjective, which is what art and music is about. We do the best we can. We have 84 categories where we recognize all kinds of music, from across all spectrums.

We don’t, as musicians, in my humble opinion, listen to music based on gender or race or ethnicity. When you go to vote on a piece of music—at least the way that I approach it—is you almost put a blindfold on and you listen. It’s a matter of what you react to and what in your mind as a professional really rises to the highest level of excellence in any given year. And that is going to be very subjective. That’s what we ask our members to do, even in the ballots. We ask that they not pay attention to sales and marketing and popularity and charts. You have to listen to the music. So of the 14,000 voters, they listen, they make up their minds, and then they vote.

Now here’s the other interesting part of the process, and we stand 100 percent behind the process: It’s a democratic vote by majority. So somebody could either receive or not receive a Grammy based on one vote. It could be that tight.
This sounds good, right? Now, I'd ordinarily be done with it, but then he says this:
To your earlier question about a racial problem. The album, record, song and best new artist categories are ones that the entire voting membership is entitled to vote on. You don’t get Chance the Rapper as the Best New Artist of the year if you have a membership that isn’t diverse and isn’t open-minded and isn’t really listening to the music, and not really considering other elements beyond how great the music is.
That, to me, sounds sketchy. It's a bit like saying, "Hey we're diverse, we gave one non-urban award to an African American that night!" Chance was the only black person to win a general award that night.

riotous

Banned
That, to me, sounds sketchy. It's a bit like saying, "Hey we're diverse, we gave one non-urban award to an African American that night!" Chance was the only black person to win a general award that night.

So what do you propose they do? Throw out a percentage of votes for white artists?

Ya'll just keep ignoring that "The Grammy's" isn't who chooses the winners; they put on a show and tabulate the votes... the votes come from the industry.

The under-representation of black musicians suck, but to solve the problem you'd have to change votes...

Or just stop giving them attention. It's a pointless waste of effort. Young men yelling at old clouds.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Lol what...they say they aren't racist because they are the experts and it's a democratic process...as if the voters can't be racist themselves?? They do realize Trump won right?? They are also using the "We, don't see color or gender or age" angle...this explains why Kendrick didn't win since his albums have the obvious aspect of incorporating his blackness into it. They are so full shit and he's just saying stuff to make it seem as if they aren't racist. Watch The Weeknd win next year as an example of them not being racist and saying that "see a black person won," as evidence despite his album not being that good.

riotous

Banned
What that guy said was shit.. but how can you guys care so much over what is basically a completely unscientific poll? You think your average hip hop head in the industry is applying to some dusty ass Grammy Committee?

LionPride

Banned
What that guy said was shit.. but how can you guys care so much over what is basically a completely unscientific poll? You think your average hip hop head in the industry is applying to some dusty ass Grammy Committee?

Because there is no award in the music industry that is supposed to be serious and not a popularity contest, the closest we got is...the Grammys

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't want to get into it because fuck the Grammys, but democracy and egalitarianism are very, very, very different concepts and are not synonymous.

So what do you propose they do? Throw out a percentage of votes for white artists?

Ya'll just keep ignoring that "The Grammy's" isn't who chooses the winners; they put on a show and tabulate the votes... the votes come from the industry.

The under-representation of black musicians suck, but to solve the problem you'd have to change votes...

Or just stop giving them attention. It's a pointless waste of effort. Young men yelling at old clouds.
I don't suggest that you start saying African Americans get their votes doubled when tallying up, but I'd suggest you start by at least acknowledging there exists a problem.

Portnow doesn't give a shit, and he's hiding behind "Oh it's democratic." Okay, well, at least give us a breakdown of your voting body; is it skewing older or younger? Skewing white? If there exists a noticeable skew in your population and members can vote for any category regardless of whether or not they listen to said category, you have a problem. At least acknowledge you need diversity in your voting body, instead of saying "a black dude won a major award, we're perfect!"

Look, at the end of the day, Portnow's not going to voluntarily change shit. He gets his money from putting on a highly rated show, people get their amusement from watching hasty tributes and other performances, and CBS gets decent ratings in the process. Someone either needs to embarrass Portnow by leaking the composition of his voting body or get people to stop watching the show.

FZZ

Banned
Feel like those 14,000 on the committee might be a lot of country artists

Country a lot bigger than I ever thought it was wouldn't be surprised if they have members on the Grammy committee and well the results we've been getting speak for themselves

riotous

Banned
Don't want to get into it because fuck the Grammys, but democracy and egalitarianism are very, very, very different concepts and are not synonymous.

Of course they aren't.. that's kind of the point. So what change should they make? Would it be better if it wasn't voted on? Just a small panel of experts?

riotous

Banned
I don't suggest that you start saying African Americans get their votes doubled when tallying up, but I'd suggest you start by at least acknowledging there exists a problem.

Portnow doesn't give a shit, and he's hiding behind "Oh it's democratic." Okay, well, at least give us a breakdown of your voting body; is it skewing older or younger? Skewing white? If there exists a noticeable skew in your population and members can vote for any category regardless of whether or not they listen to said category, you have a problem. At least acknowledge you need diversity in your voting body, instead of saying "a black dude won a major award, we're perfect!"

Yeah for sure; it's lame they don't admit there might be a problem. They vaguely claim on their site only experts in the genre are supposed to vote in said genre; but they don't explain it.

But it's still not necessarily going to change anything; that's kind of my point.. i said it in an earlier post.. maybe rap artists and fans in the industry need to actually apply, talk about applying, do a "get out and vote" drive for the Grammy Committee.

But the artists don't talk about that from what I've seen; they just vaguely complain about "The Grammys" as if it's an entity that decides the awards in a room somewhere.. and most fans talk about it that way as well

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Of course they aren't.. that's kind of the point. So what change should they make? Would it be better if it wasn't voted on? Just a small panel of experts?
The members of the Academy are essentially a panel, and defining the balance between having enough people so that there's enough variability and power is diffused and having only a few so that you can validate that everyone has listened to everything and can provide their best decision possible is really difficult; plus how does that panel come to be? Also elected?

Nothing changes unless the majority group is threatened in some way or willingly attempts to identify with the minority group, which can still happen under the current format, but the bigger problem is convincing all of those people who voted for Macklemore to actually listen to more than Macklemore than just a popularity vote.

riotous

Banned
I wouldn't call 14,000 mail in ballots a panel. There is no discussion just relatively anonymous votes.

Anyways glad we are discussing the root of the issue and not just vaguely complsining. I'm not denying that a problem exists; just frustrated how much talk there is and most of it ignores how the winners are chosen,

Rumors floating that Yeezy Season 5 is a Ye x Drizzy collab. That means that there could possibly be a collab track too.
I wish I could go to one of his events, but I'd imagine trying to get NYFW tickets to a Kanye West showing must be damn near impossible.

Is it confirmed he'll live stream it on Tidal like he did that past 4 seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom