• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
I'm fully vibesing to Kekra at work now. Good thing about non-english music is that I can still work with it when i'm doing menial tasks as I don't understand the language, meaning my mind doesn't get distracted interpreting the lyrics.

Lyrics don't bug me while working; for some reason they actually help me work. Like while I'm listening to a song I just let some other part of my brain do the work; it's weird.. since being in a room full of people talking or a room with a TV on I find distracting.

Nibel

J'ai mon 9 milli' tout près donc c'est bon

HrdMFRD.gif

Dereck

I was thinking about gif-ing this when I first saw it, maybe I just thought it was waaaay too conveniently quotable

X is a bitch
I'm on the fence about this personally, I mean the biggest rapper ever right now just stole some little dude's flow. As far as we know, that flow is all there is to X, so I get the anger.

However his approach his trash and I don't think his music is good enough for it to matter. Plus he fights and beats up other kids and physically abused his girlfriend so.

Moonkid

Music video for clipping's True Believer off their latest album (which is nominated for a Hugo award!) Love this track, one of my favourite songs last year. The video doesn't offer as much of a spectacle as their other videos but it's striking all the same.

Dude.... opinions and all that but that was garbage. Please tell me what is so dope about that?

I meant his voice by the way, not necessarily the lyrics. Barely know a song by the guy, so I have no clue if these are good lyrics for his doing or terrible.

Dude.... opinions and all that but that was garbage. Please tell me what is so dope about that?

I meant his voice by the way, not necessarily the lyrics. Barely know a song by the guy, so I have no clue if these are good lyrics for his doing or terrible.
In all honesty, I don't particular like Thug, at least not with the same enthusiasm as others here do, but the reason I listen to him is that he's good at what he does which is create hype songs. His music resides mostly in my gym playlist, so that's where I get most of my exposure to him from, but I've never had the urge to go back and listen to a Thug project outside of that. He's good at what he does, but outside of when I want to hear stuff like that, I rarely listen to him.

In all honesty, I don't particular like Thug, at least not with the same enthusiasm as others here do, but the reason I listen to him is that he's good at what he does which is create hype songs. His music resides mostly in my gym playlist, so that's where I get most of my exposure to him from, but I've never had the urge to go back and listen to a Thug project outside of that. He's good at what he does, but outside of when I want to hear stuff like that, I rarely listen to him.

Thanks man. That's a comment that I can call useful at least. Personally I've heard maybe two or three tracks and I never had the interest to check out more because I really don't see the appeal. And not because of the usual excuse that he's not lyrical and what not, but because it just doesn't do anything for me. Not every rap song has to have meaningful or story telling lyrics, no way but I can't roll with what this guy does.

I did hear his verse on that new Rick Ross track and to be honest I thought that was decent.

Thanks man. That's a comment that I can call useful at least. Personally I've heard maybe two or three tracks and I never had the interest to check out more because I really don't see the appeal. And not because of the usual excuse that he's not lyrical and what not, but because it just doesn't do anything for me. Not every rap song has to have meaningful or story telling lyrics, no way but I can't roll with what this guy does.

I did hear his verse on that new Rick Ross track and to be honest I thought that was decent.
That's the case with me and a lot of artists under that "mumble rap" umbrella. It feels like I can identify a good song from them when I hear it but going through their projects to find that one gem of a track is a proposition that grows less and less appealing the more I listen to them. Like, I enjoy songs from them, like "XO Tour Llif3", "Mase in 97", "Razzle Dazzle" and more, but I don't enjoy having to listen through 17-20 track albums to find the 1-2 songs that I really like.

Tyler was....interesting to say the least. His Twitter was pretty fascinating to check out constantly.

Apparently Instagram is next. I wonder what's going on with him.

Helmholtz

Hmm, he's my favorite artist right now, I just think he's super versatile and hops on great beats very often. Let me recommend a couple tracks, maybe you'll find something you like:
With That
Check
Numbers
Cloud 9
Gangster Shit
The Blanguage
Givenchy
Speed Racer
Free Gucci
Get that money
Fuck Cancer
King TROUP
Hercules
Floyd Mayweather
Guwop
Memo
Digits
Worth It
Power
Udiggwhatimsayin
Crime Stoppers
Hey, I
Phoenix
Raw
Flava
Heatstroke
Good Times

Tyler, the Creator deleted his Twitter

Here's a funny one though

qJFr0qe.jpg

Tyler was....interesting to say the least. His Twitter was pretty fascinating to check out constantly.

Apparently Instagram is next. I wonder what's going on with him.

He's probably finishing up a new record or something. That's the only reason I can think of for deactivating a Twitter account when you're a guy as outspoken and openly creative as Tyler. Hopefully, it's better than Cherry Bomb.

Also, re: tracklist, patience. We know something is coming Friday and its likely an album. I'd rather discover the tracklist and production than have everything info-dumped on our heads.

____

Hmm, he's my favorite artist right now, I just think he's super versatile and hops on great beats very often. Let me recommend a couple tracks, maybe you'll find something you like:
With That
Check
Numbers
Cloud 9
Gangster Shit
The Blanguage
Givenchy
Speed Racer
Free Gucci
Get that money
Fuck Cancer
King TROUP
Hercules
Floyd Mayweather
Guwop
Memo
Digits
Worth It
Power
Udiggwhatimsayin
Crime Stoppers
Hey, I
Phoenix
Raw
Flava
Heatstroke
Good Times

Pretty good list. Lots of those are what turned me from "Fuck this weak ass artist" to "damn...dude really does kinda do his thing."

HiResDes

Newer people don't know this but I stan Ghostface like other people do for Nas, Tupac, and Hov. I honestly enjoy The Pretty Toney Album and the OG Bulletproof Wallets as much as Fishscale. Like those are all 8+ albums to me. Big Doe Rehab is super inconsistent but has Yolanda House and Shakey Dog two of my favorite tracks, kinda underrated.

Eos

I'm on the fence about this personally, I mean the biggest rapper ever right now just stole some little dude's flow. As far as we know, that flow is all there is to X, so I get the anger.

However his approach his trash and I don't think his music is good enough for it to matter. Plus he fights and beats up other kids and physically abused his girlfriend so.
I mean it's not even "his" flow. uzi had it in that super saiyan track 2 years ago and while the songs do sound similar, drake also rapped like that on digital dash. I bet there's others that used it before him as well. Dude's a piece of shit nobody looking for a come up.

Koozek

Newer people don't know this but I stan Ghostface like other people do for Nas, Tupac, and Hov. I honestly enjoy The Pretty Toney Album and the OG Bulletproof Wallets as much as Fishscale. Like those are all 8+ albums to me. Big Doe Rehab is super inconsistent but has Yolanda House and Shakey Dog two of my favorite tracks, kinda underrated.
I've been here for 3 years now and I didn't know. I had a phase in my youth where I listened to Ghostface a lot. Fishscale is my fave probably. That Ne-Yo track became a hit in my circle, lol.

Ghost is the best Wu member by a good margin so it's no surprise.

Looking at Thug from a traditionalist perspective is kinda missing the point. It's less about what he says than how he says it and how he uses his voice. Despite my flippant comment earlier, I don't think there's anything wrong in not enjoying it.

i listened to some joey badass yesterday and i don't get the hype

like i'm not saying he's not good or anything, i just didn't understand what made people get so excited about him

like i'm not saying he's not good or anything, i just didn't understand what made people get so excited about him

Some "real hip-hop" people were propping him up because he came with a boom-bap sound that was evocative of the 90s. He's somewhat moved past that on his newest album but he's nothing exceptional about him.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

I don't think hype has ever been a word associated with him. He just has a solid skill set and was making more boom bap type stuff at a time when hip hop was moving into trap so he sounded somewhat unique in the crowd.

I usually don't like most of the drake/weeknd imitators, but this Amir Obe album "none of the clocks work" somehow really works for me. I think it's the production, just has an interesting feel.

Locksmith album is great too.

Kodak black album not so much. Talk about the epitome of wasted beats. It should be a fucking war crime to let garbage rappers use such great production.

Some "real hip-hop" people were propping him up because he came with a boom-bap sound that was evocative of the 90s. He's somewhat moved past that on his newest album but he's nothing exceptional about him.

ah, I see. i'm glad lots of people enjoy him, i just don't think his music is for me unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom