• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really wish Jay would stop doing those pauses/"aughs" in his verses, it would improve them so much.

Edit: This Frank outro is making me uncomfortable, I need an adult.

Edit2:

"Life goes in cycles, what comes around goes around
So 'fore it goes down, nigga, get you some icicles
Audemars before all of y'alls
Wristwatch got a Russian face like an oligarch, uh
12 o'clock, boy, silly nice, huh
Willie in traffic, I'm Philly nice, uh
E.T. on the handles, uh
Handlebars like a Xanax
Shamgod with and one moves
Throw that shit 'round your neck
Right quick, broke boys get fixed
Right quick, nights invested with these bike flips
Uh, that's a full cab and the back flip
Uh, sidebar.."

Edit 3:

After reading the Genius for Jay's verse and thinking about what it means, I think I've got a good summary of it:

Jay is saying that life is a bicycle ride and as the wheels turn cycles end, but before your cycle (bike ride) ends (as in death or the consequences of your actions catching up with you which the what goes around comes around comment could doubly be implying) you should do what you want to do/work hard to achieve your goals, like getting "Icicles", which as Genius points out is jewelry which means Jay could also be speaking to rappers with a short cycle in their career (as he addresses on Let You Down) and telling them to get jewelry which is a sign of success for rappers in some way before they burn out (also the fore it goes down, may mean before you plummet/fail/everything goes wrong for you, before shit goes down/hit's the fan, basically he's telling you to celebrate in that limited window of time and that it's better to have had and then lose than to have never had at all).

Oh and the cycle means that everything repeats so everyone has their own day in the sun, it's just a constant cycle of destruction and rebirth, the cycle of life.

Also has some dope bars along the way like the Xanax bar:

"xanax are shaped like bars that you take to handle stuff better and calm u down (people call them bars).
handling bars (clubs) by taking xanax to relax u in social situation
handlebars (synecdoche for the bike) maybe addictive like xanax cos he loves biking
or the handlebars (synecdoche for the bike) relax him and chill him out like xanax
handle bars could also be him rapping, as in jay can handle bars like he handles xanax, easy
or more literally, the handlebars could look like xanax in their shape" - Random Reddit poster

And the next line:

"Shamgod with the AND1 moves"

Genius: "God Shammgod played basketball for the Washington Wizards from 1997-1999, while AND1 is a clothing company that used videos of streetball moves to market their shoes.
God Shammgod was known for his incredible crossovers, a flashy move favoured by street ballers. Jay is likely referring to his own baller behaviour, flashing his incredibly expensive watches when on the streets (”Willie in traffic") similar to those classic AND1 mixtapes."

Which in my interpretation, relates to the previous line in that Jay's saying his biking skills (or life skills in as it relates to the bicycle being a metaphor for life, and we all know how much Jay has achieved) as in "handlebars" are comparable to the "handles" as in basketball terminology, of a pro-basketball player", which would also mean he's doing flashy BMX type moves on the bike if we extend what the genius analysis says.

edit 4:

Someone just added this, really dope:

"Can we also explore the double entendre of a wheelie in traffic since the song is about bikes. Jay is popping a wheelie (lifting his front wheel off the ground as he continues to ride) which would be popular in Philly , most notably Philly rapper Meek Mill, since they are know for the ”Bike Life" and riding motor cycles and all sorts of bikes and doing tricks."

Koozek

I'm enjoying this Goldlink a hell of a lot more than I ever expected. Even the tracks that aren't as good as still a joyful listen. Probably better than The God Complex.

Same Clothes as Yesterday, Have You Seen That Girl, Meditation, Herside Story, Summatime, Roll Call, Crew, Kokamoe Freestyle, all top notch and all different vibes. I can't explain it, but it works because his rapping and musical style shows itself differently in all of them.

Not only a great release in Q1 which has already delivered pretty well, but honestly one of the most eclectic, cohesive, and consistent releases I've listened to in months and months.

EDIT: And at that, you can really hear DC in the music.
You described my thoughts. Really liking it too.

Koozek

Luciano is dope (Jäger whew) but man he needs to read a dictionary
I think you only feel like that because it's German and you listen to it differently. It's not like out favorite US rappers right now use that many words either.

I'm enjoying this Goldlink a hell of a lot more than I ever expected. Even the tracks that aren't as good as still a joyful listen. Probably better than The God Complex.

Same Clothes as Yesterday, Have You Seen That Girl, Meditation, Herside Story, Summatime, Roll Call, Crew, Kokamoe Freestyle, all top notch and all different vibes. I can't explain it, but it works because his rapping and musical style shows itself differently in all of them.

Not only a great release in Q1 which has already delivered pretty well, but honestly one of the most eclectic, cohesive, and consistent releases I've listened to in months and months.

EDIT: And at that, you can really hear DC in the music.

Cosigning this even though it totally sounds like an album my basic ex would ride for, makes me laugh when I prob shouldn't

Unrelated but the arca album has absolutely crippled me, odd cause I've never met eyes with his other work. Should every artist hangout with bjork for a couple months?

Koozek

Cosigning this even though it totally sounds like an album my basic ex would ride for, makes me laugh when I prob shouldn't

Unrelated but the arca album has absolutely crippled me, odd cause I've never met eyes with his other work. Should every artist hangout with bjork for a couple months?
Weren't familiar with him, but checked it out the other day. Found it boring and I'm usually open for experimental stuff. Well, admittedly I wasn't really in the mood for a slow album like that when I listened to it. I don't like when it gets too droning and ambient.

Fake-EDIT: I'm listening again right now and I'm liking it more now 5 tracks in at least. I'm taking back what I said the other day, maybe it would actually be interesting to listen to this high.

woke up fully clothed lost my scarf lost by baggie of bars

and then a new frank song with jay z and tyler releases

i can't be that mad

FAKE EDIT:

Also the new Joey album is aight. It's good, undeniably so, but he just isn't as smart as he thinks he is and the album verges on pretension. Best songs are Rockabye Baby and Ring the Alarm just case it sounds like a beat my friends and I would freestyle over.

also my middle school experience may have been overly inundated with OFWGFTKA but honestly i think tyler is kinda underrated as being an actual really good spitter.

HiResDes

woke up fully clothed lost my scarf lost by baggie of bars

and then a new frank song with jay z and tyler releases

i can't be that mad

FAKE EDIT:

Also the new Joey album is aight. It's good, undeniably so, but he just isn't as smart as he thinks he is and the album verges on pretension. Best songs are Rockabye Baby and Ring the Alarm just case it sounds like a beat my friends and I would freestyle over.

Naw it's deniable, even you just did

Koozek

Naw it's deniable, even you just did
troll.png

Listened to it last night. Nothing outstanding, but not bad. I like how he sounds a bit different than usual. Gonna give it another listen later.

Oh, and &&&&& is pretty cool so far.

"good" not "great"

He flows well, great production, some of his bars are dope. It's almost what he wanted it to be, but not quite.

7/10 if i gotta quantify it

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seeing this conversation on Twitter about what the last truly great Jay verse was, and I hadn't even heard his Grammy Family freestyle until today.

Didn't even like the song until like a year ago TBH.

Koozek

Seeing this conversation on Twitter about what the last truly great Jay verse was, and I hadn't even heard his Grammy Family freestyle until today.

Makes me want to watch the Black Album making-of again. One of those videos I re-watch every 2 years or so. His "writing" process was fascinating to watch back then. How he laid down basically the whole track in his head and then just got into the booth.

Dirt Off (Timbo trippin while eating the banana, lmao)

Allure (this beat is pure blisssss)

Lucifer (Ye rapping his verse and the hook for Jay - also the first beat he demos, damn)

99 Problems (with Rick Rubin)

Koozek

Weekend/Future collab album needs to happen.
Yikesss. Hearing Weekend makes me aggressive and I'm the calmest cat. Like, just the way he says words and his voice, or when he tries to sound like Michael. Cornball. He just has to be on pretty much every album I liked in the last years, too...

Uh, dda,bbc, futw verse two, seen it all, devil is a lie, no church, gotta have it, new day, welcome to the jungle, who got stop me, murder to excellence (the excellence half), why I love you, primetime, spiritual verse one, shiny suit Theory, We Made It, So Appalled.

Obviously people won't let Jay be great though.

Uh, dda,bbc, futw verse two, seen it all, devil is a lie, no church, gotta have it, new day, welcome to the jungle, who got stop me, murder to excellence (the excellence half), why I love you, primetime, spiritual verse one, shiny suit Theory, We Made It, So Appalled.

Obviously people won't let Jay be great though.

What about his verse on Monster? I like it, but I know a lot of people don't.

Catvoca

Banned
Real glad I discovered Ka through this thread. Been going through his discography and it's all so good. I gotta be in the right mood but when I am it hits hard. He's a new favourite for me for sure.

HiResDes

Real glad I discovered Ka through this thread. Been going through his discography and it's all so good. I gotta be in the right mood but when I am it hits hard. He's a new favourite for me for sure.
Check out Swarvy's Low Rent similar understated style though different subject matter.

Yeah, that's definitely one of his worst verses, lol.

Hmmm, never heard that criticism. Why do people consider it one of his worst verses?

Anyway, I got around to listening to J-Live's The Best Part. This is great so far.

The album highly reminds me of Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth's material, which is a good thing.

Nibel

I think you only feel like that because it's German and you listen to it differently. It's not like out favorite US rappers right now use that many words either.

It's not really that breh; even in English I'd easily notice something like that. And I think I'm not the only one who feels that way about him (and honestly tho: who gives a shit as long the music is dope)

btw. Luciano - MIO 2.0

iMuPCn6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom