• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy Ave a.k.a not my namesake dropped this:
tZX2IwB.jpg
Everyone's busy comparing themselves to Pac when Kendrick did the best Pac homage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Someone recommend me some good A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie songs or verses. So far I like My Shit and Jungle. Some of the other highly viewed stuff on YT is whatever. Not the greatest rapper, but he's got a fun vibe and style, even though Jungle is a bit darker.

Man I can't believe they killed my fucking bro Quado
Shit was so deep I had to say that with my eyes closed
That shit made me wanna treat a n***a like he John Doe
Nine on me Rondo, now that n***a John Doe

tumblr_n838a3ZYbv1t0l1jvo1_500.gif

Dereck

Someone recommend me some good A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie songs or verses. So far I like My Shit and Jungle. Some of the other highly viewed stuff on YT is whatever. Not the greatest rapper, but he's got a fun vibe and style, even though Jungle is a bit darker.

Man I can't believe they killed my fucking bro Quado
Shit was so deep I had to say that with my eyes closed
That shit made me wanna treat a n***a like he John Doe
Nine on me Rondo, now that n***a John Doe

tumblr_n838a3ZYbv1t0l1jvo1_500.gif
bvzcddi4fpgw.png

I honestly dislike Mensa
Really? I dig his music, but he keeps on testing my patience with his refusal to release these cool songs he had and trying to be punk rock and hip-hop and pop. He has talent, but any popular appeal he had is dead because of his refusal to release music.

Really? I dig his music, but he keeps on testing my patience with his refusal to release these cool songs he had and trying to be punk rock and hip-hop and pop. He has talent, but any popular appeal he had is dead because of his refusal to release music.
His popular appeal is dead because everything about him screams tryhard (and I'm saying this as someone who tried to spread his last tape to anyone who would listen to it for months).
What, is he supposed to be a revolutionary now or something?
I wonder if going with Roc Nation was really his best option.

I think he has a knack for making memorable stuff. I don't think he takes himself too seriously, but I think he's genuine.

Yeah, he doesn't take himself seriously at all. He even calls the music he makes bubblegum trap lol. Which is weird why he seems to upset so many people. Mainstream and Underground rappers target him.

Moonkid

The facebook post announcing his show here was full of "real hip hop" hot takes. I'm sure Hospin was mentioned at some point too :p

ok so endtroducing:

i've only listened to half of it so far

seems like a 75% beattape 25% electronic album. it's all very very good, but i keep wanting someone to spit over it.

i've been listening to a lot of Paul's Boutique recently, I get a lot of similar vibes. Keep waiting for Mike D to start dropping bars during endtroducing. tbh, i'd def spit over some of these beats, they are fire.

as a stand alone album though, i am not yet convinced. will give it more time tho. an alleged classic deserves some.

New actress is really good. Might be his best album.
That's a rather long list of artists I've got to listen to soon: Arca, Actress, Clark, Shobaleader One, and a few more.

I'm not as excited for the new Arca as I should because of the pop approach he's taken to it, but it should be a decent listen.

thabiz

I think the new arca was the fastest album I recycled this year. Absolute dogshit.

New Clark starts strong but sadly losses quality as it progresses.

Koozek

That's a rather long list of artists I've got to listen to soon: Arca, Actress, Clark, Shobaleader One, and a few more.

I'm not as excited for the new Arca as I should because of the pop approach he's taken to it, but it should be a decent listen.
Pop approach?? If that's Pop, I don't know what Pop is.

Koozek

Koozek

DANGERDOOM outtake that just got released: "Mad Nice" featuring Black Thought and Vinny Price.

What is the origin of that laugh sample? I've heard it in a lot of things, TNGHT, Captain Murphy, and now this.
Damn, I just did some Google Detective magic (looking through Wayback Maschine archives of a Stonesthrow forum thread).

Apparently the laugh is from Fly Lo himself from an interview:

https://youtu.be/NiFc2FEiR84?t=34s

And if you edit it by pitching and slowing down a bit you can get this, which sounds pretty close to the laugh you hear so often (TNGHT probably sampled it from one of Fly Lo's older mixes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuVi1XY1tks

---

Now someone has to find out whether that women choir singing on Parable of the Rich Man from the new GoldLink is a sample or not. I want to knooow.

Here's the part I mean:
https://youtu.be/0NIEEdCpsKg?t=2m31s

Now, I found out that the lyrics are from a spiritual chant (Indian/Yoga stuff) written by Paramahansa Yogananda. There are two covers on YouTube, but I can't find anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_QkGv6aZbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFw13CokPhg

Dereck

I haven't really enjoyed a Clark album since Outside Plume besides that soundtrack he made.

So his latest album, while good didn't melodically hook me like he usually does.

I pre-ordered the new Actress LP on Vinyl last month, was gonna wait until it got here but I might check it out early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom